VOTE Who is the better player? Tallis v Gillett.

Who is the better Second-rower?

• Gorden Tallis

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Matt Gillett

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Tallis easily better player. Gillette better human.

Carroll a million times better player than Parker. Faster stronger more aggressive & better footwork. The only thing parker had over tunza was a bigger motor & perhaps a better offload.

Tallis easily better player. Gillette better human.

Carroll a million times better player than Parker. Faster stronger more aggressive & better footwork. The only thing parker had over tunza was a bigger motor & perhaps a better offload.

Which is exactly why for balance, you'd have Parker starting and Carroll off the bench for impact in a best of side.

My thoughts on broncos backrowers, from those mentioned in here:-
1 - Tallis, how disliked he was by nsw is a sign of respect.
even 2 - Carroll - The reason I dont have him higher then parker, is he had heaps of late swinging arms. he would have got penalised way more now then previously. IMO, although his aggression was very good, his technique would not be as effective nowadays.
even 2 - Thaiday / Gillett - even, Gillett is better now, but thaiday at his peak was a devastating ball runner.

I took parker out because tbh he played in the middle a lot of his career, different to the above blokes.

Gorden was an amazing player. Was a joy to watch him play.

Agreed. I was glad he was on our side. As Locky writes in his book, no one bullied a side with Gorden Tallis in it.

Throwing Hodgson over the sideline will probably be his best Origin moment, but he scored a crucial try in the 1999 decider and in game 2 of the 2002 series.

He also played the house down in game 3 of 1998 with a massive run to set up Ikin's try.

Which is exactly why for balance, you'd have Parker starting and Carroll off the bench for impact in a best of side.
Loved watching Tunza play! As mentioned elsewhere his tackling style will draw too many penalties but opposition teams were always afraid to be picked and dumped by him!

Agreed. I was glad he was on our side. As Locky writes in his book, no one bullied a side with Gorden Tallis in it.

Throwing Hodgson over the sideline will probably be his best Origin moment, but he scored a crucial try in the 1999 decider and in game 2 of the 2002 series.

He also played the house down in game 3 of 1998 with a massive run to set up Ikin's try.

i think thats the real key point with tallis! if you played with him you had no fear as he was one of those guys that everyone would have loved playing with, but dead set hated playing against. i bet opposition teams checked the team list every week to see if he was in or out.
tallis for me really set the tone for a modern day back rower.
big, strong, aggressive, best part for me is gordy was a football player and not a robot athlete islander which we are seeig more and more of these days.

i think thats the real key point with tallis! if you played with him you had no fear as he was one of those guys that everyone would have loved playing with, but dead set hated playing against. i bet opposition teams checked the team list every week to see if he was in or out.
tallis for me really set the tone for a modern day back rower.
big, strong, aggressive, best part for me is gordy was a football player and not a robot athlete islander which we are seeig more and more of these days.
what has being an islander got to do with being a robot athlete.

At younger ages islanders develop faster, but by the time it comes to first grade any other race can have hit the gym and supplements to be a robot athlete.

Heaps of islanders are quite clever in there footy. For instance will hopoates biggest strength these days is his defence and positioning, same with kahu, these guys are certainly not getting by on athletic talent.

I know Thaiday has slowed down a lot but he was such a gun at his peak too. Then there was Carroll.

I love Carroll.

One of my fondest memories of him was Game 1, 2007. Matt White in the lead up talked shit in the media saying the Broncos forwards were soft when Storm played them.

Matt White takes a hit up for NSW, and Carroll broke his nose. I believe Petero also hammered him, as well. Saying that just fired them up and they made sure he regretted it.

White didn't last long that night. They couldn't stop the bleeding.

Needless to say, he didn't talk shit in the media again after that.

Gillett hasn't finished his career yet. Tallis is still ahead of him. Really need to vote on this when Gillett finishes up. Gillett needs a couple of rings to weigh in on the debate

Last edited:
Our best back row is probably something like:

11. Thorn
12. Tallis
13. Carroll

14. Gillett
15. Thaiday

Given how much the game has changed since Tallis, Thorn and Tunza played - so much faster and constant, I'd pick Gillett in my starting 13 any day for his proven defence at this level.

At the same time, When it comes to attack, it's hard to go past Tallis but then again, Gillett is entirely under utilised in attack since Lockyer's days, and has superior ball skills to any of the back rowers listed.

Also, Gillo's career has a long way to go yet, so no decision form me.

what has being an islander got to do with being a robot athlete.

At younger ages islanders develop faster, but by the time it comes to first grade any other race can have hit the gym and supplements to be a robot athlete.

Heaps of islanders are quite clever in there footy. For instance will hopoates biggest strength these days is his defence and positioning, same with kahu, these guys are certainly not getting by on athletic talent.

i was referring to the back row, and yes a lot of players fit that robot mould -being what ever background.
gordy, gillett and sam are the total opposite. they are footballers. which in my opinion is why they have been so successful and have had such long distinguished careers.
the issue now starts at a youth level and especially with the polynesian boys coming through. big strong kids at an early age. a lot of these kids are told by their coach to sit in their left or right edge corridor of 4 metres, run the same line and tackle in the defined space. which is sad if thats how junior level will continue to develop.
i look at alex glenn, typical example of the robot style player. great physique, and decent ability. but when he was specific back row he never left his corridor.
taumalolo is another, incredible athlete but was a hit and miss on the edge. he never left that corridor. since green wedged him in the middle its been a masterstroke.

We seem to be focussing on players post 96, what about Gene Miles and Gilly. If you want a forward the opposition were afraid to run at, Gillmeister was your man. Between Tallis and Gillett, at this stage has to be Tallis.

I dont watch glenn as much as you not being a broncos fan, but I always gathered his biggest strengths as a second rower were both his movement, his hands/skills, getting into the right spot (dropping a try last weekend notwithstanding). I think you there would be plenty of non polynesians players floating around in lower grades who are athletically (speed/stregnth/power) superior to glenn but football wise far inferior.

For me, people voting Gillett ahead of Tallis, is like the people who voted Josh Hoffman into the top 30 Broncos players of all time.

Either too young to know the history of the club, or not able to distinguish between a great 12-18 months and a great career.

Gillett, at present, wouldn't even make the top 5 of all time great Broncos backrowers, and Tallis would be number 1.

For me, people voting Gillett ahead of Tallis, is like the people who voted Josh Hoffman into the top 30 Broncos players of all time.

Either too young to know the history of the club, or not able to distinguish between a great 12-18 months and a great career.

Gillett, at present, wouldn't even make the top 5 of all time great Broncos backrowers, and Tallis would be number 1.
This coming from the guy who said Matt should be in ISC... credible.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Redfern_1980
  • kman
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • Lurker
  • johnny plath
  • YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • Financeguy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Foordy
  • mitch222
  • Rookie Alan
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.