Votes: 4 4.8%
  • C Oates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J Isaako

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
Probably not the most popular option but I think Lodge has earned a go at Capacity. Yes he has a terrible past but ever since he’s come to the club he’s put most to shame with the way he has conducted himself on and off the field. He would also treasure the opportunity and would take it seriously, and it would piss the press off which would be satisfying to see.

IMO the new and improved Lodge has everything a captain needs

Like any young player i think Pat needs to learn the ropes. Dont think in terms of being captain he is quite there yet.
I tend to feel the same as you on that one, but I don't think I'd be entertaining Macca considering it's highly likely that in 12 months time both Glenn and Macca would be gone and we'd have this huge void of leadership almost overnight. You'd have to ask if it's better to dump Carrigan in the middle of that or try and bring him on as much as we can this season while he still has some other guys to lean on either as a Captain or VC.

Last edited:
I voted Lodge, he's one of our most consistent and hasn't put a foot wrong. Didn't have the best impact last season, but no Broncos did really. I based it on this -

- He was in the discussion last year for captain, another year down the track and another year of solid work.
- Our next captain needs to be a long term captain, that rules out Glenn and Macca.
- I like Carrigan, but give him a few more games and experience under his belt before he takes over. The next few years could be tough.
- No one else stands out. Dearden too young, Haas too dumb.

I don't know what the team thinks about him and haven't really seen him in front of the cameras so not sure if he has all the requisites. We need a no nonsense, no BS type captain I think. Set standards, call out the drama queens who aren't playing for the jersey.

There are no standouts, but he might be the bloke to do it.

Probably not the most popular option but I think Lodge has earned a go at Capacity. Yes he has a terrible past but ever since he’s come to the club he’s put most to shame with the way he has conducted himself on and off the field. He would also treasure the opportunity and would take it seriously, and it would piss the press off which would be satisfying to see.

On field sure but what about handling all the interviews, etc? I see the reasons for both sides of this argument and honestly, I think I fall into the category of no, he just isn't what this club needs as captain at present. However yes, I am aware there is a dire leadership void at the club at present.

I think in the absence of anyone really being ready, stick with Glenn for his final year and then see who steps up ready for 22 or bring in a ready made captain if one becomes available.

On field sure but what about handling all the interviews, etc? I see the reasons for both sides of this argument and honestly, I think I fall into the category of no, he just isn't what this club needs as captain at present. However yes, I am aware there is a dire leadership void at the club at present.

I think in the absence of anyone really being ready, stick with Glenn for his final year and then see who steps up ready for 22 or bring in a ready made captain if one becomes available.

Who really care about interviews? it’s all about what he can provide for the team not for the press. From what I’ve heard he’s looked up to by most of his team mates and he’s a leader within the pack. I reckon he would bring a Parker vibe with him, no bullshit, work hard or F off attitude. I couldn’t imagine that the young fellas would want to play up off field with having to front Kev and Lodge at the back of their mind. He would off stability which is actually what these young fellas need

That's who I voted for. Glenn took us to our worst season ever, and he's not particularly good enough to be a lock for the backrow spot but he would probably be my second choice.
Macca sucks, he shouldn't be captain, he should be fighting for game time with Turpin, not a shoe in.
Patty is too young.
Haas is too young, like Patty should just focus on footy, they don't need the responsibility of all the media bullshit, especially in what probably is going to be a challenging year or two for the club.
Milford is shit.

The only guy in the team who I think has the right qualities to be a leader, is the right age, is a mature player on the field, and who I think would relish the responsibility, is Lodge. It won't happen though because outrage.

Who’s the big talker at training? Anyone know? I voted Milford only because I wanna see what would happen.

Carrigan is the safe option.

Last edited:
Whilst I felt Macca was slow and done in 2019, he turned a corner at knights, His service is valuable this year. I don't feel Milf can handle pressure if any until his confidence is sky high. Carrigan would be the pick but I feel his development was rushed last season and could be shifted to the bench. Glen is out the door and it can't be him! I don't mind lodge, but was part of hlf our issues early last season when his name was put forward!

To be real Macca is only offering guaranteed depth.

If Turps is fit he should play the majority of minutes at hooker, but he struggles with getting through 80. For that fact alone we need a back up hooker.

The only other hooker is Paix who needs far more time in ISC to hone his craft.

Macca's value to the club is being in the hooker rotation on game day (either starting to take the initial onslaught or coming off the bench to give Turps a spell)... or if Turps gets injured at least we know Macca can come in and play 80mins adequately.

None of Turps, Paix or Luke can provide 80mins of adequate football, which hurts our depth... Macca resolves that and we dont have the same situation as last year.

Letting Macca go to the dragons this year would be idiotic, because it runs the risk of the exact same scenario playing out that did about 8 months ago

Last edited:
To be real Macca is only offering guaranteed depth.

If Turps is fit he should play the majority of minutes at hooker, but he struggles with getting through 80. For that fact alone we need a back up hooker.

The only other hooker is Paix who needs far more time in ISC to hone his craft.

Macca's value to the club is being in the hooker rotation on game day (either starting to take the initial onslaught or coming off the bench to give Turps a spell)... or if Turps gets injured at least we know Macca can come in and play 80mins adequately.

None of Turps, Paix or Luke can provide 80mins of adequate football, which hurts our depth... Macca resolves that and we dont have the same situation as last year.

Letting Macca go to the dragons this year would be idiotic, because it runs the risk of the exact same scenario playing out that did about 8 months ago
100% agree, Turpin tackles himself silly, but has nothing left. Macca to take the onslaught and when the game opens up Turpin to come on and run more.

If we let Macca go without Compensation, Mcinnes swap, would be stupid!

It's a sad state of affairs when of all our veteran options, two are fighting to even start (McCullough and Glenn), one has no leadership potential (Milford), one is brand new to the club (Asiata), and one is too polarising to really even consider (Lodge).

I wouldn't mind seeing Lodge get the captaincy, but I don't think that's realistic. I'm on board for the Milf 2021 redemption tour, but even so I don't think he's anywhere near captain material. Of the two left, I went with McCullough. If either of Glenn or McCullough are going to get the nod and what you'd have to imagine is a golden ticket to a starting role, I just think McCullough brings more to the table. Not a huge amount, sure, but as a spine player and a tireless defender, he offers a bit more than Glenn. And I think he does have a good demeanour and the necessary experience to make a good captain in a rebuilding year. I'd make Carrigan vice captain, looking to transition him to captain in 2022 or 2023 at the latest.

I tend to feel the same as you on that one, but I don't think I'd be entertaining Macca considering it's highly likely that in 12 months time both Glenn and Macca would be gone and we'd have this huge void of leadership almost overnight. You'd have to ask if it's better to dump Carrigan in the middle of that or try and bring him on as much as we can this season while he still has some other guys to lean on either as a Captain or VC.

I think Pat can still be involved, but I'd just have those two to just steady the ship for the next 12 months

Last edited:
The issue with Lodge is that I'm not even sure if the club wants him around long term. Those rumours didn't just materialise out of thin air and unless he takes his game to another level I can't see him finishing his contract at the Broncos.

If he can recapture 2019 form, he can be a real value for us. He needs to acclimatize to the new rules/speed though. I think he could be a good leader for us, but his past is what others/media would bring up and would weigh on him. Milf would be too pressured. Glen I don't feel is right. Macca for 12months could be the fix. Carrigan as Vice.

Lodge is going to have to come up with something better than 2019. I actually thought that was a disappointing season for him considering the platform he built himself in 2018 after playing barely any NRL prior. Unfortunately, he went backwards in a lot of ways. I think he became comfortable and started coming up with more mistakes and indiscretions. I thought it was a terrible sign that in the first set of the season, he saw fit to have a brain explosion and try to take out the legs of Munster.

Brisbane's middle defence became incredibly loose which he was responsible for and honestly, there were times where he'd hamper the attack because he didn't have the speed to put the defence in two minds.

I don't think he's incapable of change, I just disagree with this notion that 2020 was some kind of anamoly.

I agree with @Big Pete

At full strength, is Lodge a certainty to even be in the 17, let alone starting? Even if he is, is he good value at his reported wage? I'd argue no way, I also wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way to a new club.

Would this be an accurate prop pecking order?

1. Haas
2. Carrigan
3. Flegler
4. Pangai Jr
5. Lodge
6. Kennedy
7. Bullemor
8. Teo

Is that fair? If so, do you want to be paying your fourth or fifth choice prop somewhere between $600-800k?

Lodge is going to have to come up with something better than 2019. I actually thought that was a disappointing season for him considering the platform he built himself in 2018 after playing barely any NRL prior. Unfortunately, he went backwards in a lot of ways. I think he became comfortable and started coming up with more mistakes and indiscretions. I thought it was a terrible sign that in the first set of the season, he saw fit to have a brain explosion and try to take out the legs of Munster.

Brisbane's middle defence became incredibly loose which he was responsible for and honestly, there were times where he'd hamper the attack because he didn't have the speed to put the defence in two minds.

I don't think he's incapable of change, I just disagree with this notion that 2020 was some kind of anamoly.
It’s gotta be weight related, he looked like he got heavier after 2018.

Unread

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Fozz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.