• C Oates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J Isaako

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
Voted other (none)

There is no one with sufficient leadership in this team. Maybe wait for one to show themselves.

Gees you’d be dirty if you were Flegler or one of the other handful of players not even nominated in this very generous, expansive list 😂

Last edited:
voted other.
Definitely shouldn't be Carrigan, not yet anyway.

Well in my ideal team I didn't have either McCullough or Glenn in my 17 so I can't turn around and pick either player.

I haven't paid any thought to it, but picking McCullough as captain would be disastrous. It would guarantee him the 9 position, when the Broncos were right to consider their options. While some fans on here have obviously come around on Macca because they got a taste of what life is like without an NRL level dummy half, ideally Turpin should be able to stay fit throughout the season and at least provide the Broncos with some potency in the position.

I like Carrigan's mature style of play and how he conducts himself so he'd be my pick at this stage. I don't actually mind the Haas suggestion from Parker, he is the best player in the team so it's easy to command respect, but I feel he has enough on his plate. I would be looking at grooming Dearden and Paix as well. They may not go onto become captains, but if the Broncos are to be successful, both players need to take on more leadership qualities.

I dunno if Walters attempted to or not, but the Broncs really should have tried to sign an experienced player with some leadership experience to help lead the side. Doesn't have to be a star, just reliable who'd be good enough for a top 13/17 spot. Not guys like Dropley or Mead who probably shouldn't even play, just someone so they don't have to rely on guys barely in their 20s.

Last edited:
I've voted Glenn simply for the fact that I don't think anyone else deserves the gig at the moment.

If we're going young, then Carrigan is the clear option, but I'm not certain that it's even a promotion at the moment, given how poorly I'm expecting us to perform. It's a bit of a poison chalice, isn't it? It's honestly probably better if Glenn takes the bullet this season and we start fresh next season with (hopefully) a few big signings and a new captain.

For me, it's probably safest to stick with Glenn who realistically never got a chance to do the job properly last season anyway. He's arguably only just holding on to a spot in the starting side but with Fifita now going our Edges are thin on depth and on that basis Glenn is probably fairly safe in the starting side at least for this season, so it's not hugely likely to blow up on us.

Macca might be the better Captain option, but when you're almost certainly the second best option to play your position it honestly doesn't bode well for your prospects of getting on the field every week as a starter. The fact he's even in the conversation is frankly concerning as it suggests that Kevvie might seriously be entertaining starting him over Turpin, which to me seems bizarre and highly likely to backfire at some point on us at some point during the year. I fail to see how Macca could be the best Captain for us if he's not making it on the field each week and there is honestly no way I'd prioritise a marginally better Captain over a better Dummy Half given how vital your Dummy Half is in the modern game.

The only other serious option on the table is probably Carrigan, who you could argue already had to shoulder too much of the burden last year and probably deserves the opportunity to just work on himself and his own game at this stage and worry about being the Captain maybe next year if Glenn and/or Macca have likely retired. The guy is all class and would probably take it in his stride, but I'm not sure if it's being entirely fair to him to ask him to do so.

I don't mind the Haas suggestion as it particularly might increase our chances of retaining him long term and he's realistically our best player so his spot in the 17 is rock solid each week. His personal issues and behaviour are for me a concern though in particular in the wake of the personal loss he suffered last year, it might just not be the right time to be considering adding even more to his plate from a footballing perspective. He's already had to carry our Forward Pack and at times our whole team, is it really doing him any favours to then ask him to take on the on and off field responsibility and obligations of being the Captain as well? Being the Captain of the Broncos is about way more than just being a leader on field and for a guy who is suffering personal loss and is by his own admission fairly shy and not keen on the spotlight, the sheer volume of media and commercial obligations and pressures may only exacerbate a guy who is already showing some cracks in his handling thigs as they stand right now.

Last edited:
I dunno if Walters attempted to or not, but the Broncs really should have tried to sign an experienced player with some leadership experience to help lead the side.
I think Asiata will be relied upon for leadership. He was clubman of the year twice at the Cowboys which makes me think he's the kind of guy the players around him will look up to. Heading into his 8th season in the NRL, he's the best new signing we have had in a long time.

For the record I didn’t vote for Macca.

Glenn, Macca vice captain. Patty next

Bit surprised ... i would have thought that if you didn't have Patty as captain, you would have certainly have him as VC.

FYI, that's how i would go. Glenn as captain for 2021, with Patty as his VC ... before Glenn hands the baton to our next long term captain, Patty, for the 2022 season onwards.

Bit surprised ... i would have thought that if you didn't have Patty as captain, you would have certainly have him as VC.

FYI, that's how i would go. Glenn as captain for 2021, with Patty as his VC ... before Glenn hands the baton to our next long term captain, Patty, for the 2022 season onwards.
This is the way I would go as well.

Why not break it down properly, not this two on field captain crap? Macca Club Captain, maintainer of standards, role model and all round good guy, and that way Carrigan can work into the on field role with someone backing him up after the game. Gives Macca something to do and maybe provide direction in the sheds before and at half time. Got to think outside the box as our box is shite atm.

Glenn, only because P.Carrigan just needs another year under his belt to cemet his work ethic and values. Once they are established he will be able to lead the team. Nothing to do with his ability as a captain, he just needs to establish himself a little bit more to gain the highest respect from the others.

Like any young player i think Pat needs to learn the ropes. Dont think in terms of being captain he is quite there yet.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  • eggstar10
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Browny
  • Spooky1013
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Galah
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.