Votes: 4 4.8%
  • C Oates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J Isaako

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
Lodge is going to have to come up with something better than 2019. I actually thought that was a disappointing season for him considering the platform he built himself in 2018 after playing barely any NRL prior. Unfortunately, he went backwards in a lot of ways. I think he became comfortable and started coming up with more mistakes and indiscretions. I thought it was a terrible sign that in the first set of the season, he saw fit to have a brain explosion and try to take out the legs of Munster.

Brisbane's middle defence became incredibly loose which he was responsible for and honestly, there were times where he'd hamper the attack because he didn't have the speed to put the defence in two minds.

I don't think he's incapable of change, I just disagree with this notion that 2020 was some kind of anamoly.
I wonder if it was the coaching??

In 2019 he seemed hell bent on being a playmaking forward and kind of put the hard runs to the side.

I think he needs to do the hard stuff first and then look to provide link up plays with his forwards.... and only his forwards. None of this BS prop out the back to a half business, it doesn't fool anyone or achieve anything nowadays.

My absolute pet hate is the middle forward acting as a pseudo halfback.

It's easily telegraphed and why have a prop forward do what your halfback can do 1000 times better.

It just slows everything down and restricts the two halves combining with each other.

Lodge is going to have to come up with something better than 2019. I actually thought that was a disappointing season for him considering the platform he built himself in 2018 after playing barely any NRL prior. Unfortunately, he went backwards in a lot of ways.
I don't think he's incapable of change, I just disagree with this notion that 2020 was some kind of anamoly.
Possibly, the problem with this is pretty much everyone regressed under Siebold. Unless we ship him off in the next month or so we'll all get a better bead on where he sits long term.

2020 he had injuries. Great player imo, one of the leaders.

Badel reporting that Glenn has won the race for the 2021 captaincy.

says he will lead the team out on Saturday before being unveiled as the club captain next week

Badel reporting that Glenn has won the race for the 2021 captaincy.

says he will lead the team out on Saturday before being unveiled as the club captain next week
I guess that kills the Smith conversation then

I guess that kills the Smith conversation then
I don’t know; Glenn was the first Broncos captain to lose a GF (U20’s) and then in a single season achieved something no other Broncos captain ever achieved.

Whereas this Smith bloke, what’s he ever done as a captain.

On field sure but what about handling all the interviews, etc? I see the reasons for both sides of this argument and honestly, I think I fall into the category of no, he just isn't what this club needs as captain at present. However yes, I am aware there is a dire leadership void at the club at present.

I think in the absence of anyone really being ready, stick with Glenn for his final year and then see who steps up ready for 22 or bring in a ready made captain if one becomes available.

Who really care about interviews? it’s all about what he can provide for the team not for the press. From what I’ve heard he’s looked up to by most of his team mates and he’s a leader within the pack. I reckon he would bring a Parker vibe with him, no bullshit, work hard or F off attitude. I couldn’t imagine that the young fellas would want to play up off field with having to front Kev and Lodge at the back of their mind. He would off stability which is actually what these young fellas need
Plenty of reasons to argue Lodge shouldn’t be captain but his media presence isn’t one. He’s very articulate and handles himself well in front of the media.

I think Glenn is the most obvious candidate this year. Without signing anyone worthy of it, or carrigan having a hell of a season this year, next year is lodge's.
Id still go with lodge next year and appoint carrigan as a Vc.

Glenn is such a pissweak choice. Yes he sounds like a great clubman, and is a positive role model for the young kids, but he's never been much of an inspirational-type leader on the field.

The team needs to get up off the canvas, grind their way through some hard yards and show enough character to come out the other end. No one in our squad personifies that more than Lodge.

Glenn is such a pissweak choice. Yes he sounds like a great clubman, and is a positive role model for the young kids, but he's never been much of an inspirational-type leader on the field.

The team needs to get up off the canvas, grind their way through some hard yards and show enough character to come out the other end. No one in our squad personifies that more than Lodge.
This year there needs to be one person speaking to me he team and that is Kevin Walters.
Whatever he is saying must be communicated as transparently as possible, without individual interpretation.
Further more the last thing we need, given the recent incidents is a captain with a history himself answering questions on team discipline, whilst sponsors look on.
I like lodge and I think he can lead in a way, but this year we need a "steady as she goes" captain until a few of our rough edges are smoothed.

I reckon if TPJ has turned things the way Petero and others are saying give him the captaincy. Tell him it’s just for one year and to take the whole teams performance personally.

He has the same crazy eyes as Tallis. Channel that rage and call out anyone not having the same siege mentality.

I reckon if TPJ has turned things the way Petero and others are saying give him the captaincy. Tell him it’s just for one year and to take the whole teams performance personally.

He has the same crazy eyes as Tallis. Channel that rage and call out anyone not having the same siege mentality.

Nah.

Spot on. We won the spoon and they’re worried what the public think. **** me!

Last edited:
Spot on. We won the spoon and they’re worried what the public think. **** me!

you don't need a (c) next to your name to be a leader or inspirational ...

you don't need a (c) next to your name to be a leader or inspirational ...
No but to be the (c) you need those qualities plus respect and be able to instil confidence and belief. Mathew comes across as a tuff nut, someone the younger guys look up to, someone who'd protect them if need be. Bit like Hodgey. Just what our current roster needs.

I don't mind the sentiment and I do see in him the potential makings of a good Captain, but the way he let himself and the club down last year does not deserve a reward like the Captaincy.

I'd be in favour of lighting a fire under him and telling him he can earn it over the next 12 months though if he really puts his hand up before Glenn retires.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Xzei
  • Cavalo
  • Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skyblues87
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.