Who was the most talented forward out of Dave Taylor or Tevita Pangai Junior?

Who was the most naturally talented Forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What ever happened to Tim Smith? He had arguably the best rookie season of any half ever, how could someone that freakish end up on the scrap heap like two seasons later?
Last I heard he got into trouble over in the UK with Kevin Locke. Apparently, that was back in 2015 and I haven't really heard anything since.

I'm not sure what to make of Tim. He was talented enough but I think there were a few factors that propped up that season and set the bar way too high. Once other teams caught up to the Eels, things didn't come as easily and he couldn't perform as well under pressure.

I still think he could have had a solid career in the NRL if he didn't go off the boil in 2008. By the time he tried to make a comeback in 2010 it was with the Sharks when they were struggling and as a mid-season pick-up he couldn't right the ship on his own.

I couldn't see him making a big difference, but Tim Smith wearing the #7 at the Broncos in 2010 is a fun what if that sadly you could only play out in Rugby League 3.

What ever happened to Tim Smith? He had arguably the best rookie season of any half ever, how could someone that freakish end up on the scrap heap like two seasons later?
Didn't he have a drug problem? Or was it booze? He did have mental health issues as well.

On the tools down in Melbourne apparently. Spent a bit of time helping out with the Storm 20’s at one stage.
Speaks positively of his pre season at the Broncs before the Sharks signed him.

Anthony Milford says hi.......

He was a fullback primarily in his debut year but yes, it was very exciting...and given his laziness and work ethic issues, makes me worry about Cobbo.

You've never mentioned the choice being generational......and given your recent comments above, it appears as though choosing the Hayne plane is in fact, not such an "easy" decision......

How is Wally Lewis not getting a mention here.......?

By far, the most gifted footballer, I've ever seen play the game.
I feel like you’ve missed my point. There are dozens of players bette than Hayne. I’m talking purely about his physical attributes

I don’t think he’s in the top few but saying he’s ONE of the fastest is not hyperbole. Off course Saab, Roberts, Ado-Carr etc beat him by half a second or so.
I don’t want to get into an argument, but you did say “one of the fastest players in league history”.

What are your parameters? Top 50, 100? More, less? Just Australia or internationally?

Hayne was quick, but I personally don’t think he belongs in the conversation as one of the fastest in league history.

If you were to pull it back to the NRL era only, I don’t think that’s as far-fetched.

Hayne did well for himself in the NFL, I know he didn't really have a huge career but he made a few nice plays on the highlight reels.

He was obviously athletically gifted, perhaps the motivation left him though, I know coming back from the NFL would've been a bit of a downer for him. Titans were silly enough to pay large.

think if he stays in league Khunt is the best of that gen born in the 80's

I'm not sure. He may well have been of course but his kamikaze style, while fun to watch, would have likely led to him having a relatively short career.

I don’t want to get into an argument, but you did say “one of the fastest players in league history”.

What are your parameters? Top 50, 100? More, less? Just Australia or internationally?

Hayne was quick, but I personally don’t think he belongs in the conversation as one of the fastest in league history.

If you were to pull it back to the NRL era only, I don’t think that’s as far-fetched.
Yes

Whilst I do disagree with your assessment of Hayne, I am not about to argue the other side because, truth is, Hayne was indeed a very gifted player.

What I will say though is that 11.2 seconds for the 100 doesn’t put him in the conversation of the fastest blokes in the last decade or two, let alone ever. There have been numerous blokes who have run in the 10’s (off the top of my head, Roberts, JAC, GGM, Hammer are all quicker than him and all played in the last few years, or still do). Hancock was quick, Dallas, Shearer and countless more in that era. People with older heads and better memories will remember more from before then too.

Why I say this is because, given the authority you made your statement with, is it possible the rest of your assessment of him may be viewed a little through rose coloured glasses?

He was a gifted athlete, but so was / is someone like Berrick Barnes or Ponga, who could have played a number of sports, and a broad range, professionally.

EDIT: forgot Saab, he’s quick too.
I remember Yoh yeh running Hayne down in origin 2011 game 3 with ease

I remember Yoh yeh running Hayne down in origin 2011 game 3 with ease

JYY - There's the player whose career broke my heart like no other. He should have gone down as an all time great, he had everything - speed, strength, agility, a will to win, a deep love for the Broncos and unmatched talent. What happened to him was truly sad.

I didn't realise how fast Hayne was until some silly "fastest football player" thing in 2010. I think it was just after Inglis signed for Souths (knocking us back) and even though he'd recently recovered from a leg or foot unjury, a lot of people were tipping him to be the fastest of the league players. As the race transpired, Inglis trotted along way at the back, while Hayne blitzed along, I think coming second or third but easily the fastest league player and those fastest 3 were split by maybe half a metre at most. And the others were all easily 20-30kg lighter than him. For his size he was freakishly fast.

But to add another name to the "wasted talent pool", step up Chris Sandow. He was like the anti-Dave Taylor. DT wanted to chip & chase, step players, throw cutout passes, and Sandow would be trying to put big shots on forwards who were twice his size (often with hilarious results). But they were both so similar in that all they wanted to do was play backyard footy. **** training, **** high-percentage plays, **** game strategy. They just wanted to have fun, and unfortunately some silly teams paid them big money, thinking they'd somehow be inspired to word hard for it. Instead it had the opposite affect - both players just assumed that the big dollars would keep rolling in while they kept chasing highlight reel plays. The Eels with Sandow and initially Souths with Taylor. And then the Titans made the most Titans signing ever by signing Big Dave, the "comfortable footy" expert way before another David would hit the scene and follow suit.

But they were both so similar in that all they wanted to do was play backyard footy. **** training, **** high-percentage plays, **** game strategy. They just wanted to have fun, and unfortunately some silly teams paid them big money, thinking they'd somehow be inspired to word hard for it. Instead it had the opposite affect - both players just assumed that the big dollars would keep rolling in while they kept chasing highlight reel plays. The Eels with Sandow and initially Souths with Taylor. And then the Titans made the most Titans signing ever by signing Big Dave, the "comfortable footy" expert way before another David would hit the scene and follow suit.

A lot of players can't transition from the player with the x-factor to the game manager and that's where their career fades away.

Milford comes immediately to mind. Compare those type of players to someone like Benji was initially had the big steps and the flicks and all that, he turned himself into a game manager and did well for himself as a result.

A lot of players can't transition from the player with the x-factor to the game manager and that's where their career fades away.

Milford comes immediately to mind. Compare those type of players to someone like Benji was initially had the big steps and the flicks and all that, he turned himself into a game manager and did well for himself as a result.

Moses has turned into a really good game manager too.

I feel like you’ve missed my point. There are dozens of players bette than Hayne. I’m talking purely about his physical attributes

Yeah.....OK....well.........you didn't start out that way.
theshed:
Yeah I think on pure natural ability and skill Dave Taylor and Hayne are in a field of their own. Hayne is imo easily the most gifted NRL player to have existed.

Taylor in a landslide for mine. Just had everything going for him...what could have been huh? TPJ still has time to turn his career around, but even then he just doesn't have the ball skills of Taylor.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Strop
  • Brotherdu
  • Justwin
  • simplythebest
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • GCBRONCO
  • Skathen
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Volvo Driver
  • porouian
  • Mustafur
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Hoof Hearted
  • MrMoore
  • Scorchie
  • Galah
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.