Who will wear the no.15 jersey?

Running is what you want from a bench hooker IMO. You could even get McCullough playing the full 80 and still bring Granville on for a double team. Running out of dummy half against tiring defence is one of the most effective things in Rugby League.

Game awareness is vital in a hooker even if only playing for 15 minutes. Granville runs out of dummyhalf everytime then looks to fix the situation if need be a with a pass. This pass then puts his runners on the end of a rushed option.

He needs to develop a better sense of when to run and not run, he gets away with it in Qld Cup but won't in NRL. Run can't be your only option.

He's been working on it, it was obvious in this years finals that when you are aware of it and put pressure on him he struggles to go to plan B. Ben and Shane Walker shut him down in a excellent coaching job.

Problem with that is you don't want to shuffle your halfback around on the field in his first year starting he can;t grow at halfback without playing full games and cullen would find it hard to come into the game and make an impact he could be picked off on the edges where as hooker he can make it simpler and work on his defence with the big boys no doubt hunt has learnt better from the experience

If Cullen's earmarked as a future half we don't want him following the same route as Hunt...

About July.

Not that i want to argue with you im just hoping it sin't true , but you look anywhere on the net it says nothing about him staying or leaving and with his talent someone would have signed him, newcastle have tried twice

1910 Granville only runs about 5 times a game...definately doesn't run every ruck.

Last edited:
If Cullen's earmarked as a future half we don't want him following the same route as Hunt...

i rate cullen very highly but I don't know if he will make it in the NRL as a half, even in u20;s he was moved to hooker because there was a better halfback (ashley taylor), i hope i'm wrong but i think hooker would suit him for now

Problem with that is you don't want to shuffle your halfback around on the field in his first year starting he can;t grow at halfback without playing full games and cullen would find it hard to come into the game and make an impact he could be picked off on the edges where as hooker he can make it simpler and work on his defence with the big boys no doubt hunt has learnt better from the experience

I was talking about him at hooker not shuffling the halfback around

I don't know where they are earmarking him so i am speaking in general terms.
I thought he was better coming on at hooker than he was in the halves

If Granville gets the spot which I hope happens he should be used in 15-20 periods when the opposition forwards are tiring.

1st Period: 25 or 30-40 the minute
2nd Period: 60-80 minute

1910 Granville only runs about 5 times a game...definately doesn't run every ruck.

Read again what I said. He doesn't do it five times a game.

Game awareness is vital in a hooker even if only playing for 15 minutes. Granville runs out of dummyhalf everytime then looks to fix the situation if need be a with a pass. This pass then puts his runners on the end of a rushed option.

He needs to develop a better sense of when to run and not run, he gets away with it in Qld Cup but won't in NRL. Run can't be your only option.

He's been working on it, it was obvious in this years finals that when you are aware of it and put pressure on him he struggles to go to plan B. Ben and Shane Walker shut him down in a excellent coaching job.

Read again what I said. He doesn't do it five times a game.

Better than Wallace's two steps out of dummy half every time, leading the player about to run the ball to slow down then get tackled softly. Also, he doesn't run it every time. I like both Cullen and Granville but I think Granville is more deserving of the utility spot. Especially after his efforts in the NRL last year.

Haven't seen any Q Cup but Granville showed some spark that we desperately need off the bench. I think he should have first crack at it.

A little off topic but I'd prefer to see Gillett off the bench than Glenn. Gillett is more likely to expose tired forwards and would allow Thaiday to play shorter periods where he excels.

14. Granville
15. Gillett
16. Kennedy
17. Hala / Oates / Stagg / Lowrie

I'd just take the two back rowers to start who move up in defence and force the others around them to do it too. So probably not Thaiday.

Sometimes a hooker runs without being tackled at times this is a set play and can be used to great affect (see smith line break assist vs us game two. Macca v storm game 1. See macca v paramatta game two [poor fui fui didn't know who to tackle].) sometimes they do it for the sake of it and the forward takes the ball slower with less time to move causing an ineffective hit up (see the post above about Wallace).

I'm a Granville fan but at NRL level he is too limited. His first instinct is to run every ruck and if that doesn't work he passes. His thinking leads to putting runners off and under pressure. He needs to improve his passing and timing of runs. That's why he got limited chances last year.

Courier today.

"His defence all year was really good but also I think he picked and chose his times to run the ball a lot better. A while ago I thought sometimes he just ran for the sake of running but he's changed that," he said.

Well said Buck.

Last edited:
Not that i want to argue with you im just hoping it sin't true , but you look anywhere on the net it says nothing about him staying or leaving and with his talent someone would have signed him, newcastle have tried twice

He is now part of the Canberra organization which is very old news.BTW, Ben Hunt only once wore the #15 jersey last season, your heading should read 14.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • HVbronco
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • mystico
  • Turky Murky
  • LittleDavey
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.