Why Cherry-Evans should never grace the QLD jumper again.

This is the key expression. We are all entitled to our own opinions and some of us may know more than others of the actual person in question, so I will continue to feel comfortable not feeling the need to change my opinion.

There's a few factors against Daly Cherry-Evans, some fair, others not.

The way he exploited the Gold Coast Titans was very poor, especially around that time but the biggest issue of all is that he didn't redeem himself. After doing what he did to the Gold Coast Titans, he came into the Queensland Maroons and put in a half-hearted display where NSW made a ton of easy metres running directly through him. It was a poor performance at just the poor time. It doesn't help either that he displaced Ben Hunt who was held in very high esteem among Broncos supporters.

I think for the most part, Daly Cherry Evans has been irrelevant. Outside of his incredibly stiff and robotic guest appearances on Fox Sports where he comes off as fake, the only recent memory we have is of that dive against the Broncos which really brought the game into disrepute and as we found out cost Brisbane a fair try.

There are bigger 'villains' in the game, but I don't think the dislike for DCE is completely unwarranted. It isn't like the Michael Morgan crusade which was clearly fueled by petty jealousy.

This is the key expression. We are all entitled to our own opinions and some of us may know more than others of the actual person in question, so I will continue to feel comfortable not feeling the need to change my opinion.
Continue to feel aggrieved by something that has no relevance to you, i know who'll be the happier out of us 2. :)

He played one bad game when injured. Not the first or the last to do that.

3 bad games.

I can forgive him for Game 1, 2014. Being thrust into the side during a game and having all of that expectation put on your shoulders without prior preparation, there aren't many halves in the game that could deliver.

But his next two games in the halves, pathetic efforts.

3 bad games.

I can forgive him for Game 1, 2014. Being thrust into the side during a game and having all of that expectation put on your shoulders without prior preparation, there aren't many halves in the game that could deliver.

But his next two games in the halves, pathetic efforts.
See i dont think his other games were bad. He wasnt influential at all but he came on and did a job.

Doing a job is fine in origin. Not everyone needs to be highlight reels.

He wasnt great but he wasnt nsw levels of bad.

Continue to feel aggrieved by something that has no relevance to you, i know who'll be the happier out of us 2. :)
Geez it's just an opinion some of us hold about a footy player. I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect anyone's overall happiness.

Geez it's just an opinion some of us hold about a footy player. I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect anyone's overall happiness.
Probably not, but if he got picked id continue on as per normal whereas im sure thered be a lot of unhappiness from some in this thread, after all it is emotively titled 'why dce should never grace the qld jersey again'

I have nothing against DCE personally, I just don't think he is an Origin standard player, and so I don't want to see him in the team

If there is a bunch of injuries in the halves he may become the best remaining option, I just hope it doesn't come to that

So as long as you don't sign something it's a reasonable excuse for lying through your teeth...Got it. But that doesn't still doesn't answer the question. Perhaps I need it spelled out for me. How was it the clubs' incompetence or mismanagement? (that's why I bolded that bit in your quote) It was my understanding that a contract was sitting there waiting to be signed.
Maybe read more than just one line or the first post?

It wasn't just about not signing, it was the Henjak affair, the Broncos taking his signature for granted, and being advised against signing by Broncos insiders/players.

That said, it doesn't excuse his behaviour, and I was filthy for it, but DCE's is a whole other level, as he used the Titans to get the contract he wanted from Manly, and didn't care about the sacrifices the Titans did (losing players like Sezer) to guarantee him.

Only Khunt comes close to that level, when he did something similar to the Broncos, who lost players trying to retain him, while he knew he was moving to the GCS Prancies.

I understand when players take the money option, but be upfront about it, even if you don't say it's for the money, so the club can move on, which is why I was disappointed, but never hated on Folau, and would have him back in a heart beat!

It wasn't just about not signing, it was the Henjak affair, the Broncos taking his signature for granted, and being advised against signing by Broncos insiders/players.

That said, it doesn't excuse his behaviour, and I was filthy for it, but DCE's is a whole other level, as he used the Titans to get the contract he wanted from Manly, and didn't care about the sacrifices the Titans did (losing players like Sezer) to guarantee him.

Only Khunt comes close to that level, when he did something similar to the Broncos, who lost players trying to retain him, while he knew he was moving to the GCS Prancies.

I understand when players take the money option, but be upfront about it, even if you don't say it's for the money, so the club can move on, which is why I was disappointed, but never hated on Folau, and would have him back in a heart beat!

Remember his stupid interviews at the time?

"I just seem really awkward?"

"What do you mean you seem really awkward?"

Of course you seem awkward, you're lying through your teeth. You don't feel awkward because you're a robot.

So we agree they are both in the same ball park and the scenarios are similar and not that greatly different from one another?

I read the next 3 pages of the thread you posted and nobody answered my question so I'm not too sure what you are going on about there. Sproj was kind enough to answer it this morning though.

So we agree they are both in the same ball park and the scenarios are not that greatly different from one another?

I read the next 3 pages of the thread you posted and nobody answered my question so I'm not too sure what you are going on about there. Sproj was kind enough to answer it this morning though.
1175.gif

Well imo they are in the same ballpark.

If I had a dollar for every time you post a gif when you have no arguments I'd probably have close to 50 dollars, but it still wouldn't be enough to justify continuing to argue with you.

Well imo they are in the same ballpark.

If I had a dollar for every time you post a gif when you have no arguments I'd probably have close to 50 dollars, but it still wouldn't be enough to justify continuing to argue with you.
So my post explains the reasons why it's not even close to the same ballpark, and you reply by saying that we agree it is in the same ballpark.
Yup, you are totally right... I have no argument against that, and my gif shows exactly how I felt about your reply.

I can see where Tom is coming from though. It isn't like the Gold Coast Titans were some wholesome club who had just been down on their luck, they had been a basket case for years and years with no real sense of identity or leadership. I don't think it's any surprise that one of their senior players ended up leaving their club and signing with Cherry Evans down in Manly.

The difference between the two is that one player was forced to leave his club and was for all intents and purposes a free agent, while another never had any intention of leaving Manly and only signed with the Titans to hold his own club up for ransom.

The other difference, is that the Inglis affair unfolded at a time where the Broncos roster had all but been finalised. It wasn't like they had a bunch of deals up in the air when they put all their eggs into the Inglis basket, which is different from the DCE situation.

On the flipside, one point that fans seem to forget is that there was a lot of controversy surrounding Inglis' legal fees. There was a big dispute between Melbourne & Brisbane over who should have to pay for it. I can't remember how that turned out, whether Melbourne sucked it up or Souths stepped in and said they'd cover it.

I think what both guys did was rubbish, but Cherry-Evans' backflip was far more damaging for all parties.

I can see where Tom is coming from though. It isn't like the Gold Coast Titans were some wholesome club who had just been down on their luck, they had been a basket case for years and years with no real sense of identity or leadership. I don't think it's any surprise that one of their senior players ended up leaving their club and signing with Cherry Evans down in Manly.

The difference between the two is that one player was forced to leave his club and was for all intents and purposes a free agent, while another never had any intention of leaving Manly and only signed with the Titans to hold his own club up for ransom.

The other difference, is that the Inglis affair unfolded at a time where the Broncos roster had all but been finalised. It wasn't like they had a bunch of deals up in the air when they put all their eggs into the Inglis basket, which is different from the DCE situation.

On the flipside, one point that fans seem to forget is that there was a lot of controversy surrounding Inglis' legal fees. There was a big dispute between Melbourne & Brisbane over who should have to pay for it. I can't remember how that turned out, whether Melbourne sucked it up or Souths stepped in and said they'd cover it.

I think what both guys did was rubbish, but Cherry-Evans' backflip was far more damaging for all parties.
In the DCE affair, you have a guy manipulating a club (regardless of how much of a basket case said club is), which is doing everything to accommodate him and build a roster around him, and with whom he actually signed a contract, albeit with no intention to honour it.

In the Inglis affair, you have a guy verbally committing to a club, which appears to be doing no significant effort to snare one of the top players in the code, and is self-sabotaging through its head coach attitude and insiders telling Inglis to move on.

As I said, it doesn't mean I'm happy with Inglis side of things, but he wasn't out to defraud the club, and like you said, cause serious damage, like DCE did.

P.S. I'm not 100% sure, but if I recall correctly, souffs picked those legal fees up.

The Broncos still offered Inglis a substantial offer and while Inglis felt the Broncos didn't accomodate him, we've only got one side of the story who lied to everyone involved. All we know for sure is that senior players gave their honest appraisal of the coach, but considering that there were a lot of Gold Coast players looking to leave the sinking ship, I doubt the general feeling of the Gold Coast Titans was all that warm either.

So while he doesn't come off as bad as DCE...what he did was still pretty poor and it was to our club no less.

I think you're right about Souths by the way, but don't want to say for sure because I never read or heard anything official.

The Broncos still offered Inglis a substantial offer and while Inglis felt the Broncos didn't accomodate him, we've only got one side of the story who lied to everyone involved. All we know for sure is that senior players gave their honest appraisal of the coach, but considering that there were a lot of Gold Coast players looking to leave the sinking ship, I doubt the general feeling of the Gold Coast Titans was all that warm either.

So while he doesn't come off as bad as DCE...what he did was still pretty poor and it was to our club no less.

I think you're right about Souths by the way, but don't want to say for sure because I never read or heard anything official.

Pretty sure they paid it, and were cranky it was counted towards the cap, or something along those lines.

Active Now

• Battler
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • TimWhatley
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • westy316
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • Dash
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.