Why delayed games are good for the sport.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
They arn't so **** me dead why must channel 9 keep on doing it?

because they can. NRL needs to grow a sack. I want to go to the game but have had too many drinks to drive to the game. [icon_frown

They are hella lame.

Definitely need to get rid of them in the next TV deal.

If Channel 9 played both Friday games at once, they'd halve the amount of advertising dollars they could make from it because they'd split their audience in two.
Sunday games, no excuse. Put that shit on live.

dukey said:
If Channel 9 played both Friday games at once, they'd halve the amount of advertising dollars they could make from it because they'd split their audience in two.
Sunday games, no excuse. Put that shit on live.

dude first game is on delayed.

because heaven forbid we miss out on seeing the 1000th re-run of tonight's Big Bang Theory

Why is tonight's kick off at 7pm anyway? Isn't it normally 7:30?

They've delayed this year's and last year's double header.

They delayed the game against the Dogs.

Then a couple of Four Nations games were on delay in Qld.

Ooh it's a double header. Where the hell have I been to have missed that...? [icon_shru

draggx said:
They arn't so **** me dead why must channel 9 keep on doing it?

Because the NRL didn't get it in writing that one of the games, can't be delayed.

When I turn to Channel 9 on my digital TV, the EPG displayed the following "Nine's Live Friday Night Football"

I would like to read their definition of 'Live' [icon_drun

In fairness, I wish someone had've told me the live score when I got home tonight so I didn't have to sit through that second half.

Crazy Sam said:
In fairness, I wish someone had've told me the live score when I got home tonight so I didn't have to sit through that second half.

There's a thread for that [icon_wink

I don't see what the big issue is? Yes the first Friday night game started earlier than usual due to the double header, and channel 9 didn't want to change their schedule, but in fairness they did televise it like the normal first friday night match (short add breaks etc).

I could undrstand the frustration if they televised both matched like the do the second Friday night game (long ad breaks every 10 minutes etc), but they way they handled it, if you didn't know the game kicked off early, you would have been none the wiser.

Besides this, you guys understand how FTA TV works, right? They obviously rely heavily on the advertising dollar. Live games = less chance for ad breaks = less dollars. Delayed games = more chance for ads = more dollars. If the TV networks aren't getting as much advertising, they can't afford to pay as much for the TV rights. How does this benefit the game?

Like it or not, the networks are scheduling their matches to suit the advertisers, not the fans because the advertisers are the ones paying for it. The alternative is that all the games move to pay tv where they rely less on the advertisers and could be shown live. Does anyone really want that though? I'm happy to sit through a few ad breaks to watch my sport for free.

imo the coverage is much better these days than it ever has been. There were times there that only 3 games would be shown weekly. 1 delayed one on Friday night. One live, albeit povo, telecast on the ABC on a Saturday arvo. And one hour worth of highlights on a Sunday evening.

OXY-351 said:
The alternative is that all the games move to pay tv where they rely less on the advertisers and could be shown live. Does anyone really want that though?

*Hand up*

icon_thumbs_u

I have Foxtel so I'll try and put myself in the shoes of someone that doesn't.

I agree with OXY 100%. Ch9 are a business, not a charity. And definately agree that the coverage these days is the best we have had in years (maybe forever). The only thing I would change is SHOW IT IN HD you bastards!!!! Or at least upscaled like you used to.

How about show it in HD and just scroll advertisements along the bottom sometimes?

draggx said:
OXY-351 said:
The alternative is that all the games move to pay tv where they rely less on the advertisers and could be shown live. Does anyone really want that though?

*Hand up*

icon_thumbs_u

I assume you already have fox then?

A lot of people can't afford it though, and I don't think it would be too healthy for the support of the game if you exclude those people from being able to view matches

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • Wild Horse
  • Skathen
  • Fitzy
  • Manifesto
  • jd87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • mitch222
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.