NEWS Why Haas Rejected 6m Offer

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

“I’m not looking anywhere else,” he said. “I’ve gone through some stuff lately (with his court battle) and I’m trying to focus on my footy. “I am putting that (contract) stuff to one side and I want to play the best football I can for my teammates and the Broncos. “I’ve got three more years to go on my current contract, so I’m in no rush to extend my deal. “I am taking it week by week and I want to play the best footy I can for this team. All that contract sort of stuff will sort itself out eventually.”

“When I first came into the NRL, he helped me out a lot, especially being a Muslim,” said Haas, whose long beard is a tribute to his Islamic faith. “Some of the troubles I’ve gone through (off the field), Sonny Bill has been there for me. “To see him last night, doing what he did, I was pretty nervous before his fight. I couldn’t talk to anyone. I was nervous for Sonny, but to see him win, I was so relieved and I am happy for him. “He is one of the best athletes in the world.”

“My main goal is to win a comp for sure,” he said. “We have a long way to go, we have to take things day by day, but the ultimate goal for me is to win a premiership and make this club great again.”

On playing Lolo this week
“Players like myself and Jase, we look forward to these kind of battles,” he said. “I know Jase will be up for this. Their forward pack dominated the Raiders last week and they will be looking to do the same to us. “That makes me more ready for it. It’s what you play for, these kind of battles, so I can’t wait for Sunday afternoon, it will be pretty physical.”

Deal has apparently been on the table for 6 months which the Broncos board approved at 1m per year for 6 years. Haas says he has no intention of leaving the club, and SBW is not trying to get him to sign elsewhere.

If SBW wasn't in his ear I'd be 100% confident in him staying

I just hope we don't let him walk for nothing when it inevitably becomes clear he is out the door and perhaps looking to leave early.

I genuinely, genuinely hope my gut feel is wrong.

Consider him gone. You don't not sign a 6 million dollar contract unless you're fully aware there is something else.
He’s in the middle of an ugly contract related court process. You gonna blame your mate for not marrying someone while going through a messy divorce ?

He’s in the middle of an ugly contract related court process. You gonna blame your mate for not marrying someone while going through a messy divorce ?
Hasn't he already got new representation while he's going through this. Same manager as SBW.

Hasn't he already got new representation while he's going through this. Same manager as SBW.
The Roosters are reportedly “very interested” in Payne Haas and there’s some scary parallels between his contract situation and an ex-Rooster.

Haas is signed to the Broncos until the end of 2024. But he is currently locked in a contract dispute with his ex-manager, Chris Orr and if he wins the legal battle his contract could be null and void.

This would open the door for the Roosters to strike, according to News Corp’s Phil Rothfield.

“Payne Haas is an identical story to Sonny Billy Williams in 2008 at the Bulldogs, which is a huge concern for the Broncos,” Rothfield told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“Sonny Bill was managed by the Orr brothers, Payne Haas is managed by the Orr brothers. At the time Sonny Bill walked out on the Bulldogs in that well-publicised incident to play in Europe because he wasn’t happy with his contract at the Bulldogs. Khoder Nasser took over Sonny Bill’s contract at that time.

“Payne Haas has left the Orr brothers, Khoder Nasser has stepped in as has Sonny Bill Williams as his Adviser.”

“He’s not happy with his contract. He was on $548,000 with the Broncos, put him onto the open market and he’d be on $1 million a year so that’s got to be sorted out.

“I keep hearing the Roosters are very, very interested in him. He’s still under contract with the Broncos for another three years but will that be declared null and void if he wins this case against the Orr brothers? It’s a really interesting story with Haas and his future at the Broncos.”

As one of the best props in the game, Haas would demand a starting spot at any club. The Roosters currently boast the likes of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Siosiua Taukeiaho and Lindsay Collins as prop options but 33-year-old Waerea-Hargreaves comes off contract at the end of 2023 and Taukeiaho has been linked to the Super League for next season.

The Roosters are reportedly “very interested” in Payne Haas and there’s some scary parallels between his contract situation and an ex-Rooster.

Haas is signed to the Broncos until the end of 2024. But he is currently locked in a contract dispute with his ex-manager, Chris Orr and if he wins the legal battle his contract could be null and void.

This would open the door for the Roosters to strike, according to News Corp’s Phil Rothfield.

“Payne Haas is an identical story to Sonny Billy Williams in 2008 at the Bulldogs, which is a huge concern for the Broncos,” Rothfield told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“Sonny Bill was managed by the Orr brothers, Payne Haas is managed by the Orr brothers. At the time Sonny Bill walked out on the Bulldogs in that well-publicised incident to play in Europe because he wasn’t happy with his contract at the Bulldogs. Khoder Nasser took over Sonny Bill’s contract at that time.

“Payne Haas has left the Orr brothers, Khoder Nasser has stepped in as has Sonny Bill Williams as his Adviser.”

“He’s not happy with his contract. He was on $548,000 with the Broncos, put him onto the open market and he’d be on $1 million a year so that’s got to be sorted out.

“I keep hearing the Roosters are very, very interested in him. He’s still under contract with the Broncos for another three years but will that be declared null and void if he wins this case against the Orr brothers? It’s a really interesting story with Haas and his future at the Broncos.”

As one of the best props in the game, Haas would demand a starting spot at any club. The Roosters currently boast the likes of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Siosiua Taukeiaho and Lindsay Collins as prop options but 33-year-old Waerea-Hargreaves comes off contract at the end of 2023 and Taukeiaho has been linked to the Super League for next season.
Rothfeild is an idiot. Sonny’s contrast was never nul and void. The similarities is that they had the same shit manager and now they have a slimy manager.

The whole thing is a beat up. There’s been no suggestion the court outcome will impact his broncos contract. Also he isn’t on that amount. He’s on 800+

Reckons he's worth a million a year but he's not even in the top 3 forwards in the game according to Rothfield

Rothfeild is an idiot. Sonny’s contrast was never nul and void. The similarities is that they had the same shit manager and now they have a slimy manager.

The whole thing is a beat up. There’s been no suggestion the court outcome will impact his broncos contract. Also he isn’t on that amount. He’s on 800+
For every bit of slimy journalist drivel there is an element of truth.
There is too much noise around it for it to be completely unwarranted.
SBW in his ear, Nasser his advisor, similar situations playing out with all involved, a club that is known for skirting the cap rules and luring top tier players through shady means.

I dont know how you can be so confident this is all a beat up.

Edit: add to all this, he turned down 6 million. As Mum said, who would turn that type of security down?

I mean, when that same mate is sleeping with your enemy and taking his advice from them while going through that divorce process, then im inclined to think some shady shit is happening.

For every bit of slimy journalist drivel there is an element of truth.
There is too much noise around it for it to be completely unwarranted.
SBW in his ear, Nasser his advisor, similar situations playing out with all involved, a club that is known for skirting the cap rules and luring top tier players through shady means.

I dont know how you can be so confident this is all a beat up.

Edit: add to all this, he turned down 6 million. As Mum said, who would turn that type of security down?
I’m not saying he will stay. He might, he might not. We’ve got 3 years to deal with it regardless of which way it goes. That’s plenty of time to replace him. As good as he is, he still is just a prop.

I think it makes sense that he turned down $6m. We’ve shown our hand if that’s the case and he knows in 2 years time that deal will likely still be there. He will get a million a year no matter who he signs with so why would he agree to stick at a club that’s at the bottom of the ladder for 10 years without first seeing if they’re actually improving.

He could see out his contract and outside of injuries, he could get a million a year from a team like the roosters who will win him premierships.

I know everyone has an irrational fear of SBW so let’s go through a list of all the big name players he’s helped the roosters poach…oh wait, there isn’t any.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.