NEWS Why North Queensland lost up and coming forward Tom Flegler to Brisbane

The size of this kid impresses me. Seems to have a bit of pace too. Gee, if all our forwards reach their potential and then some, is it possible to win premierships without good game managing halves like we have? Our pack may just get us over the line.

Ponga was our junior, we lost to them.

I included him because he was in their system and they could have easily re-signed him but didn’t. Should have clarified.

The size of this kid impresses me. Seems to have a bit of pace too. Gee, if all our forwards reach their potential and then some, is it possible to win premierships without good game managing halves like we have? Our pack may just get us over the line.

The Dogs made a GF with, in my opinion, a worse pack and a far worse halves pairing and spine.

Last edited:
It's his training and playing style, they would both go so hard and then walk, have a deep breath and go again. Flegler and Webcke both needed to not just follow the ball around like a Under 10.

It’s the intensity that’s similar. What a headturning performance for just his second game.

Cheers makes more sense to me now.

Does anyone know if Flegs possess any ball skills by any chance? If he does boy he could become some sort of player in the future if he’s not already promising enough as an uncompromising intense middle forward as he has shown already. Has a decent physique on him as well.

We cop it for losing jrs, but what about the cows? Off the top of my head: Lost Ponga in favour of Coote, lost Martin, lost Flegler, lost Holmes.

Not that I want to stick up for those flogs but in the Cowboys defence with Ponga, there is not much they could have done when Newcastle came along and offered him a $2.5million four year deal as a teenager after a handful of games which was unheard of a few years ago.

It was only after Ponga practically exploded out of the blocks with the Knights that the whole scene changed with regards to outlaying big money for potential despite little NRL experience. NQ probably knew he would become the player is now but probably didn’t expect it to happen almost immediately and probably weren’t prepared to lose a couple of players and screw the balance of their squad on a hunch.

Ponga’s success story is what has blazed a trail for Payne Haas latest contract and soon to be Dylan Brown after his debut. This will become the norm soon with players you just can’t refuse to risk letting go.

Cowboys will still be kicking themselves but I’d imagine if Ponga was still there now, their squad would be vastly different now anyway with a lot of money being chewed up between Ponga, Morgan and Taumalolo.

Funnily enough, the more I think about it the more I reckon I’d actually like to have Ben Hunt back in our current side to see what would happen.

With the potential of that forward pack, we won’t lose too many forward battles and we have one of the more skillful forward packs in the Comp.

If we were to still have Ben Hunt To this day, I reckon you play him at 6 and get Sean O’Sullivan in as the controlling 7. Put Milford at 1 and Nikorima at 14 and see what that side could do.

Funnily enough, the more I think about it the more I reckon I’d actually like to have Ben Hunt back in our current side to see what would happen.

With the potential of that forward pack, we won’t lose too many forward battles and we have one of the more skillful forward packs in the Comp.

If we were to still have Ben Hunt To this day, I reckon you play him at 6 and get Sean O’Sullivan in as the controlling 7. Put Milford at 1 and Nikorima at 14 and see what that side could do.

Does Milford still have a running game? He hasn't threatened with it in a long time. Nikorima sometimes looks more threatening with his runs in 1 game than Milford did all of last season. I don't think he can be fullback until he actually shows he's still got it.

Cheers makes more sense to me now.

Does anyone know if Flegs possess any ball skills by any chance? If he does boy he could become some sort of player in the future if he’s not already promising enough as an uncompromising intense middle forward as he has shown already. Has a decent physique on him as well.

No be lucky to offload once for Souths last year. But in fairness his focus was playing against men, getting minutes and being aggressive and they have Dennis to finesse them around in the forwards.

He was coming back off a year off too with his shoulders so bigger things to focus on.

Edit- 6 offloads in 15 games.

Last edited:

What makes you think is the best option as our 7 ?

Does Milford still have a running game? He hasn't threatened with it in a long time. Nikorima sometimes looks more threatening with his runs in 1 game than Milford did all of last season. I don't think he can be fullback until he actually shows he's still got it.

I know people were calling for Milford to run it more, but Channel 9 had his stats post-game as 18 runs. Unless it was an error, he’s obviously doing a lot more work than it seems, only a matter of time that he starts breaking the line.

I know people were calling for Milford to run it more, but Channel 9 had his stats post-game as 18 runs. Unless it was an error, he’s obviously doing a lot more work than it seems, only a matter of time that he starts breaking the line.
Foxsports have him at 4 runs for 21m and Kodi at 3 runs for 38 m. It has given Kodi 2 try assists but didn't give Milf his great pass from dummy half to Roberts for his try.

Not that I want to stick up for those flogs but in the Cowboys defence with Ponga, there is not much they could have done when Newcastle came along and offered him a $2.5million four year deal as a teenager after a handful of games which was unheard of a few years ago.

It was only after Ponga practically exploded out of the blocks with the Knights that the whole scene changed with regards to outlaying big money for potential despite little NRL experience. NQ probably knew he would become the player is now but probably didn’t expect it to happen almost immediately and probably weren’t prepared to lose a couple of players and screw the balance of their squad on a hunch.

Ponga’s success story is what has blazed a trail for Payne Haas latest contract and soon to be Dylan Brown after his debut. This will become the norm soon with players you just can’t refuse to risk letting go.

Cowboys will still be kicking themselves but I’d imagine if Ponga was still there now, their squad would be vastly different now anyway with a lot of money being chewed up between Ponga, Morgan and Taumalolo.
The word is that Ponga wasn't happy at the Cows and would sooner joined the AFL then stay with them.

Not much they could have done other than be a decent team to be a part of.

Foxsports have him at 4 runs for 21m and Kodi at 3 runs for 38 m. It has given Kodi 2 try assists but didn't give Milf his great pass from dummy half to Roberts for his try.
That's because the pass was thrown to Boyd who threw it to Roberts.

Milf was pivotal in a few of our linebreaks and close tries. The pass to TPJ who broke the line to get Oates over. The shortside play to Bird and Oates who kicks ahead, and the play where Bird kicks it dead after Milf gathers a loose ball.

I probably would struggle living in Townsville too. I like summer, but like a 32 degree summer at most. Brisbane sun is already too evil, you'll look 60 at 35 vs 80 at 35 in Townsville.

Last edited:
What makes you think is the best option as our 7 ?

Well it all depends on how our current halves pairing improve and how they manage games as the season gets into full swing but the early mail is it is looking more of the same again. Kodi is definitely outplaying Milford at the moment though and had a half decent second half. But I still believe they are too similar a style of player and I reckon we can only get the best out of this team if they consistently rediscover the kicking game they were showing in glimpses at the back end of last season. We can’t afford to just keep waiting for them to come good. I amongst many others believe a more controlling half is the final piece of the puzzle this team needs to challenge for the title. Sean O’Sullivan should hopefully be given a shot depending on how Kodi fares and depending on SOS form but I think he is inured now anyway.

This doesn’t mean get rid of Kodi but we did make a GF with him on the bench and using him to spell McCullough so I can’t believe we have never looked at revisiting this. Losing Ben Hunt out of the blue and not being able to lure Ash Taylor back is the only reason IMO this hasn’t been tried again as we had very limited halves options. Now that we have some the pressure should be on to perform.

Well it all depends on how our current halves pairing improve and how they manage games as the season gets into full swing but the early mail is it is looking more of the same again. Kodi is definitely outplaying Milford at the moment though and had a half decent second half. But I still believe they are too similar a style of player and I reckon we can only get the best out of this team if they consistently rediscover the kicking game they were showing in glimpses at the back end of last season. We can’t afford to just keep waiting for them to come good. I amongst many others believe a more controlling half is the final piece of the puzzle this team needs to challenge for the title. Sean O’Sullivan should hopefully be given a shot depending on how Kodi fares and depending on SOS form but I think he is inured now anyway.

This doesn’t mean get rid of Kodi but we did make a GF with him on the bench and using him to spell McCullough so I can’t believe we have never looked at revisiting this. Losing Ben Hunt out of the blue and not being able to lure Ash Taylor back is the only reason IMO this hasn’t been tried again as we had very limited halves options. Now that we have some the pressure should be on to perform.

I think the same about kodi but if he keeps building on his current form, I think he will be good until our youngster's begin to push. I think SOS was brought just in case kodi didn't improve, but he is looking pretty good atm

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Socnorb
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • The True King
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Matheos
  • Waynesaurus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • the_next
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.