Will Tom Opacic Play First Grade in 2015?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Tom Opacic will make his senior Broncos debut in the trial against the Cowboys

THREE months ago, Tom Opacic offered to train with the Broncos for free.
On Saturday night, Opacic will make his senior Broncos debut and has so impressed coach Wayne Bennett that the boom 20-year-old has clinched a plane ticket to England for the World Club Series.

In a remarkable rise, Opacic has gone from little-known under-20s rookie to one of Bennett’s new generation of Broncos, likened in style to former Canterbury centre Andrew Farrar.

905613-2d125fa2-adb7-11e4-90ab-ef3fd79aaa94.jpg

Broncos Tom Opacic wrapped up by the Warriors defence during the Holden cup Grand Final. Picture Gregg Porteous

A strapping three-quarter at 100kg, Opacic was blooded by Bennett at the NRL Nines and his steep learning curve continues on Saturday in a trial against the Cowboys in Mackay.

Bennett clearly has big plans for Opacic. The Wamuran product was asked this week to bring his passport to Broncos HQ, a compelling sign he is set to head to the UK for Brisbane’s clash against Wigan on February 21.

It is a head-spinning journey for Opacic, who only caught the eye of Bennett in November when he asked for the chance to train once a week over summer with the senior squad.

Dual registered with the Broncos and Redcliffe, Opacic was a member of Brisbane’s NYC grand-final side last season and under-20s coach Craig Hodges would not be surprised if he cracked the NRL this season.

“Wayne (Bennett) values toughness in players and Tom has that in spades,” Hodges said.

“I definitely think he has got a chance of playing first grade. I rate him highly. He reminds me of an old-fashioned defensive centre like Andrew Farrar.

“Tommy would have fitted in with the Dogs of War. He’s a rugged sort of player who loves the contest and this game (against the Cowboys) is a great opportunity for him.

“He was outstanding for us in the under-20s. He consistently made over 150 metres a game for us in the centres which is a massive effort.’’

Opacic injured his ankle on the eve of last year’s NYC grand final, but defied medical opinion to star in Brisbane’s 34-32 loss to the Warriors.

“Our medical staff actually ruled him out,” Hodges said.

“He should have missed a month, but Tommy said he could play and our physios couldn’t believe it when he recovered in seven days.

906139-082559c8-adbd-11e4-90ab-ef3fd79aaa94.jpg

Tom Opacic will travel with the Broncos to the UK. Pic Chris Higgins

“That shows his character. He’s not a traditional centre in that he’s not lightning quick, but he’s a very good defensive centre and there is a role for guys like him in today’s game.’’

Broncos assistant coach Kevin Walters said Opacic deserved a trip to the UK after proving his work ethic in the pre-season.

“If he goes to England, he will find it an invaluable experience,” Walters said.

“The best thing about Tom is he’s willing to learn and improve himself. Wayne has been impressed by his attitude.

“The next few weeks will be important for him. He’s up against some good opposition so it will be interesting to see how he handles it.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/tom-opacic-will-make-his-senior-broncos-debut-in-the-trial-against-the-cowboys/story-fniabm4i-1227210905641

Seems like there's a lot of positive press emerging from Red Hill as of late.

So I'll pass it to you guys, do you think Opacic will play first grade? Did he impress you in the 20 Finals or in Auckland?

Personally I say, why not? I think it's way too early to say he'll go onto have a huge career in the NRL, but as a depth option I certainly think he's in with a shot and I don't think he'd disgrace himself.

I can't see him playing FG in 2015, at least while Hodges, Copley & Reed are fit, maybe in a couple of years once we give Reed the ass and Hodges retires.

I'm not against giving him a run and think giving our juniors a shot is a much better idea than signing experienced players because they have experience, so hopefully he makes the most of it.

My big reservation about him though is he looks awfully slow. Not just in terms of speed but also acceleration. He does appear to have decent strength and defence which will help, but I'm not sure it'll be enough. Still early days in his career though and who knows what some of progression he has in him, which is why I'm much keener to see him get a chance than some 28 year old centre equivalent of Adam Blair or Travis Waddell.

I could see him having a game in the Origin period, depending on who our wingers are this year.

If Copley is used as a winger, I would say he could play. If Copley is a centre, I would say no.. Unless Bennett has other plans for Reed.

I can't see Opacic being used as a winger.

I think the wing spots are wide open and he is a chance of snaring one. A lot of his 20s games have been on the wing outside Drew

Last edited:
Good to see Bennett bringing through our younger players.

Good to see Bennett bringing through our younger players.

They're all fucked when we Bennett signs Beau Scott, Chris Houston, Neville Costigan, Kurt Gidley and Kade Snowden though.

It's a good thing Bennett won't be signing them..

They're all ****ed when we Bennett signs Beau Scott, Chris Houston, Neville Costigan, Kurt Gidley and Kade Snowden though.

I think we have a bit more talent in the forwards than what Newcastle did, should be fine.

It's a good thing Bennett won't be signing them..

I'm still waiting for it to happen. I was assured by numerous people that he would only be bringing the oldest and most boring players to the Broncos.

I'm still waiting for it to happen. I was assured by numerous people that he would only be bringing the oldest and most boring players to the Broncos.

This.

Personally I say, why not? I think it's way too early to say he'll go onto have a huge career in the NRL, but as a depth option I certainly think he's in with a shot and I don't think he'd disgrace himself.

To expand on this, when your competition is Vidot, Maranta, Reed, Kahu etc. you're always in with a good shot.

Not only does his presence give us more options, it also keeps the players infront of him honest.

When I watched the youngens play this year he reminded me of Bowman from the Cowboys/Qld. Safe , makes good decisions.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Dash
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Volvo Driver
  • mieko
  • Lurker
  • Fatboy
  • BroncsNBundy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.