World Cup 2018/2022

Id be ver yconfident if I was Australia. very confident indeed.

I'd say England will likely get it in 2018.
Australia need to boost their stadium infrastructure big time if it's gonna happen. Organising it would be a nightmare imagine as well. It HAS to happen in the June/July period.. in the middle of the NRL and AFL seasons. Scheduling it around them will be a bitch.

When did the Olympics happen during the year?

Haha, ah well, it's nice to have a dream...never gonna happen.

Browny said:
When did the Olympics happen during the year?

When Australia had the Olympics it was held in September. The problem with the World cup is most football leagues in the world run from about August through to April or May the next year. So it's the only time it can happen as I said before.

Also there is issues in regards to stadia, I've posted this elsewhere on BHQ before I believe but it's relevant:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/world-cup-bid-gets-serious/2007/10/30/1193618884203.html

FIFA's World Cup requirements demand between nine and 12 stadiums with a minimum of 40,000 seats for the group matches, and 60,000 seats for semi-finals, the opening game and the final. There is also a raft of other criteria, including "clean" advertising space, provision for a minimum of 600 press seats, and up to 30 camera platforms.

As it stands, only four stadiums meet the minimum standards - the MCG, Telstra Dome (Melbourne), Telstra Stadium (Sydney) and Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane). The FFA is sure to use its bid for leverage in pushing for redevelopments of Bruce Stadium (Canberra), EnergyAustralia Stadium (Newcastle) and perhaps Sydney Football Stadium, with new venues in Perth and Adelaide to be built from scratch. The construction program would dwarf the costs associated with the 2000 Olympic Games.

I think there are also rules on how many games can be played at one stadium for the group stages and I'm pretty sure in the past only 2 cities have been allowed to utilise 2 stadiums rather than 1 (or something similar). They might make a few allowances but as it stands there is a shatload of work to do before it could be possible.

I am sure i read somewhere the AFL, NRL and ARU are all willing to help out if it comes to that. Whether that means postponing the season for a few weeks, who knows?

I am sure the big wigs have some boss plans for stadia. There'd be no point bidding if they didn't.

If we can host the Olympics, i think we can definitely host the World Cup. icon_thumbs_u

ningnangnong said:
I am sure the big wigs have some boss plans for stadia. There'd be no point bidding if they didn't.

If we can host the Olympics, i think we can definitely host the World Cup. icon_thumbs_u

Agree with both these points. Our Olympics were fucken spectacular and while I don't believe the World Cup would be as good, it is still something we can pull off. And like you said ning, why the F would we make such a bold and costly bid if we had no plans for new stadiums and the redevelopment of others.

I hope they'd build a brand new stadium in Sydney, catering for rectangular games, and that will also help Rugby League, so that's a win icon_thumbs_u

I see no reason why this can't happen.

I think Australia would to an absolutely fantastic job hosting the World Cup - but like all major sporting events (including the Olympics) us the taxpayers will be paying for it for many years afterwards - the ratepayers of Sydney are still paying off the Olympics. Despite what the spin doctors like to say and how they like to cover it up - major events like this always result in an overall loss for the hosts, so I would hope the economy turns around significantly before 2022 (I think northern hemisphere will get 2018). Don't get me wrong, it would be great showcase to host it here, but it's not all positives.

the one problem we have is stadia.our stadiums just dont meet world cup criteria.

Everything else points to us hosting it in 2022 tho. Us or China.

the English will get 2018 for sure.

pennywisealfie said:
the one problem we have is stadia.our stadiums just dont meet world cup criteria.

2022 would be for the best I reckon. The more time we get is obviously better.

Jeba said:
pennywisealfie said:

2022 would be for the best I reckon. The more time we get is obviously better.

Plus, i can't describe it real well, but there's like a cycle of which continents host it, which is why England is almost a certainty for 2018.

They'd be mad not to choose us for 2022. IMO of course. :mrgreen:

*Europe is football

*back in the day, Europe used to have 2 consecutive world cups, before another continent got a look in

*by 2018 the last 2 world cups would of been in non euro countries

*England havent hosted the world cup since 1966, granted we have never hosted it, but we didnt invent the game.

*I can harp on all i like about how i think English football is rubbish, but i have mad respect for how they have europes best behaved crowds, leaving the 80s as a forgotten memory.

I don't really like England at all, but I'd be an idiot if i believed that another country should host the world cup over England.

as for 2022, It depends on how we go with stadia, and how serious China is.

Decision day is looming.

Here's hoping.

Friday morning, mi amigos!

Man, I can't wait. It will be huge if we get it.

I don't see us getting it. I see Qatar as more a chance than we are. England seem to be doing everything they can to not get it. I think Spain/Portugal will.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.