World cup referee to join NRL

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
REFEREE Ashley Klein, whose handling of the World Cup final so incensed Ricky Stuart he later resigned as the Kangaroos' coach, is heading home to his native Australia.

Klein, 29, has quit his position as an official with England's Rugby Football League to rejoin his wife and two children in Australia where he is now set to referee National Rugby League matches.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

IMO, Klein is the best ref in the world. and will walk into the #1 spot in the NRL. but i did think he was older than 29. he must have moved quite quickly through the ranks.

Wouldnt be such a bad thing for the NRL, particularly with the 2 referees on the field being bought into place. I do however hope that he is a complete fluff like Russell 'Replay' Smith was and still is!

He is definitely the best ref in ESL by a mile. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the NRL as there are different interpretations and the game is played differently out here (which I think was a big part of Smith's problem as an NRL ref)

Difference though was that Smith was a fair bit older. Klein's young, he can probably adapt better.

Great news for the NRL, really rate Klein highly ans refeering weekly at the top level will only be good for him. Look forward to seeing him reffing 2 games each weekend.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.