VOTE Would you be ok with Lodge as captain?

Should Matt Lodge Be Captain

• Yes

Votes: 85 63.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 25.6%

• Total voters
There wouldnt be all this talk if Mcguire was still here, but yeah that went out the door.
I wouldnt mind Lodge being captain IF he is what they say he is (a leader amongst the team, has the qualities etc etc) but with this media ish on the clubs neck and no one else really worthy? ( still think Glen should be considered)

If Glenn is still here and still in the best 13 - both of which seem unlikely at this stage - he'd be my first choice. After that it's slim pickings and if the coaches and the board think Lodge is the best choice I'll back him all the way.

Lodge is a totally different guy than the 'new york' guy and has matured immensely since that fateful night. TBH if in the same position of being jibed at by the American moron that night I would probably have punched the guy myself ( read the true story not the fake Australian media version)

Lodge is a totally different guy than the 'new york' guy and has matured immensely since that fateful night. TBH if in the same position of being jibed at by the American moron that night I would probably have punched the guy myself ( read the true story not the fake Australian media version)

That may be so, but the majority of people don’t spend their lives on this forum reading every article on the bloke.

Can you point me in the direction of this 'other side' of the story? I'm genuinely curious.

my mrs doesn’t follow the footy. She’s come to me with a few games and tolerates my obsession and hours on BHQ. Good chick.
Today I said, guess who is going to be the next broncos captain... she said who?... and I said Matt lodge and she looked at me in disbelief and said the New York guy?

That’s who is going to be our captain
Just tell her that Wayne Bennett made the decision and I’m sure she’ll do what all suffering wives do and zone out when their husband starts going on and on about something they’re obsessed with.

Last edited:
Just tell her that Wayne Bennett made the decision and I’m sure she’ll do what all suffering wives do and zone out when their husband starts going on and on about something they’re obsessed with.

that literally has nothing to do with what we’re talking about.

This makes me laugh when I see people echo this sentiment. Unless you are actually around Lodge how would you know? You are just blindly accepting reports our club and the media are pushing.

Agree, but to be completely fair, Lodge was a completely different bloke the night of that incident, simply due to the cocktail of chemical reactions of the alcohol and whatever substances he took. It’s not a true indication of his character either.

No doubt. I have made an absolute dick out of myself on more occasions than I care to remember when under the influence of booze and whatever I could get my hands on. But it's the overly aggressive nature of his misdemeanors that concern me. "Do you think your going to die? This is the night your going to die" is what one article quotes him saying to a German tourist. Head in to the Valley on any given weekend and you will see thousands of people equally as fucked up as what Lodge was. The majority of these people aren't cruising around threatening to kill people.

I can't vouch for his character, I don't know him. But from what I have read about his previous issues I am just very dubious of him having changed and owning such straight of character all of a sudden.

Last edited:
that literally has nothing to do with what we’re talking about.
Touché.

It was only meant to be a lighthearted dig at your unbridled support of Bennett, nothing more.

And, of course, a commentary on how many wives, including my own, zone out when their husbands talk about things that don’t interest them.

Before your post gets taken down for being flagrantly defamatory, no none of that shit matters. Yeah he’s turned his life around and as a benefit of that he gets to play footy, but the casual observer will always perceive him as the New York guy, always.
Fair enough, apologies for being offensive if i was, im a bit rough around the edges and come off that way these days, no offense intended.
I just dont get why the bloke cops so much flak, for something he did in the past, while we let a whole bunch of others slide under the radar when their offenses are arguably worse.
I dont see why we cant give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he is made of.

This makes me laugh when I see people echo this sentiment. Unless you are actually around Lodge how would you know? You are just blindly accepting reports our club and the media are pushing.
No. Also testimonials and statements from his fellow peers. From others close to him.

Watch this interview with him to understand more. Pay attention especially to the 40min mark and listen to what JYY has to say about Lodge, his character, his determination and how he speaks to what he's done to turn his life around.

If you don't bother to watch and listen to this very honest and candid interview, then you basically want to just keep holding the belief that he's a bad guy without understanding him at all. Because to support Lodge would be unpopular, and you don't want to stand out from the crowd.

No. Also testimonials and statements from his fellow peers. From others close to him.

Watch this interview with him to understand more. Pay attention especially to the 40min mark and listen to what JYY has to say about Lodge, his character, his determination and how he speaks to what he's done to turn his life around.

If you don't bother to watch and listen to this very honest and candid interview, then you basically want to just keep holding the belief that he's a bad guy without understanding him at all. Because to support Lodge would be unpopular, and you don't want to stand out from the crowd.

Lol to support Lodge on this forum is incredibly popular, in that regard I am doing the opposite of what you are saying.

I highly doubt if watching this video will sway my opinions too much, in fact I'm sure it's mostly pr spin. But if it helps me form a more balanced and informed viewpoint than I will give it a watch when I find the time 👍

If Lodge was on any other team in the NRL every member on here would be calling him a dog, ****, piece of shit, NSW conspiracy, anti QLD appointment (refer to Gallen) etc etc

Irrespective of the fact that he’s sorry, remorseful etc He’s just not fit to be the captain of the Broncos. Fact of the matter is WE don’t need the distraction moving into 2020, if all it takes to be captain is to have an underperforming teams respond to you on the field, then make Haas or Fifi the captain, they are by far better players on the field.

If Lodge was on any other team in the NRL every member on here would be calling him a dog, ****, piece of shit, NSW conspiracy, anti QLD appointment (refer to Gallen) etc etc

Irrespective of the fact that he’s sorry, remorseful etc He’s just not fit to be the captain of the Broncos. Fact of the matter is WE don’t need the distraction moving into 2020, if all it takes to be captain is to have an underperforming teams respond to you on the field, then make Haas or Fifi the captain, they are by far better players on the field.
This

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • Xzei
  • Brotherdu
  • Mister Wright
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Midean
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Dazza 92
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Galah
  • Ondi
  • Foordy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.