WTF?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/cr ... ntentSwap1

UK-BOUND back-rower Michael Crocker has won 29 consecutive matches for Melbourne and was instrumental in the Storm's grand final win last year. But one of the game's best players may ultimately come up with one of his most valuable plays by leaving the club.

Melbourne officials have admitted Crocker's decision to depart a year ahead of schedule to take up a three-year deal with Super League club Hull may have an unexpected silver lining. The money freed by Crocker's departure may enable the club to keep New Zealand back-rower Jeremy Smith and highly rated youngsters Aiden Tolman and Sika Manu. It might even help them retain stars Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk, Ryan Hoffman and Anthony Quinn. "It's bitter-sweet," Storm football manager Frank Ponissi admitted yesterday.

Jeremy Smith, Tolman and Manu are all off contract at the end of this season, and the club would have faced losing all three had it not been for Crocker's UK switch. Now, the Storm will be in a position to make Smith an offer next week and may now retain all three.

"Prior to Michael going, the chances of Jeremy Smith staying were slim, for no other reason than we had no room under the cap," Ponissi said. "We're disappointed and reluctant to let Michael go … but it certainly opens the door for the possibility of Jeremy staying."

Jeremy Smith's agent, Sam Ayoub, is due to meet Melbourne officials early next week amid strong interest from St George Illawarra and Canberra. "[Before Crocker's decision] it would have been impossible for us to keep Jeremy, Aiden and Sika," Ponissi said. "Now there's a chance we can keep all three."

Smith, Hoffman, Cronk and Quinn are all off contract at the end of next season and will all be highly sought after. Ponissi said he hoped to start formal negotiations with all four after this year's State of Origin series, with a view to wrapping at least some of them up in Melbourne colours before the end of this season.

Crocker's decision is unlikely to have a significant impact financially for 2010, even with the potential to front-load contracts, but it will give the Storm greater clarity in terms of their salary-cap position - and a greater chance of securing their star players before other clubs are given a real opportunity to negotiate with them.

The next few months shape as crucial for the Storm's short-term future. The club has already lost centre Israel Folau to Brisbane next season and of their current star-studded roster, only Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Brett White, Dallas Johnson, Jeff Lima and Adam Blair are contracted beyond 2009.

"We just want to start putting a few blokes beyond '09," Ponissi said. "We know we can't keep everyone but we want to try to keep the core of the group."

Meanwhile, NRL chief executive David Gallop has defended the system which has allowed Luke Lewis to renege on a verbal agreement to sign with Souths - even maintaining his decision to re-sign with Penrith proved it worked. "It's a very good principle that a player's club is given an opportunity to re-sign their player," Gallop said. "Luke Lewis is a local junior, and many years were invested in him by the Panthers … it's a new rule and this week highlights its effectiveness."

The system gives clubs the right to cut a deal with their player up until after round 13, meaning several players may potentially be up for grabs until then even though they have agreed to play elsewhere - as in the case of Folau. Players can sign a watertight deal if given a clearance by their incumbent club.

Brisbane boss Bruno Cullen said he was not concerned that Folau had not officially signed a contract yet, but admitted he was not a fan of the arrangement. "We shouldn't be signing players until the season's over," Cullen maintained. "The AFL seem to do it OK that way. People seem to say they can't move in time, but everybody else does it. School teachers do it, public servants do it. But for some reason, rugby league players can't. It's a strange argument."

Of Folau, he said: "I couldn't say 101 per cent he's coming, but there's no indication he won't be. I can't absolutely guarantee it, but I expect him to be here."

--------------------------------

[icon_confu

I can only imagine what the backlash will be if he doesnt join and we lose the majority of our players offcontract in the process.

WTF :|

we are losing players and arnt even certain to get Folau :|

nice, so if he doesn't sign on (which is highly unlikely) we'll get burned and have lost several other players because of the cap.

I don't think you can actually sign contracts until after round 13. but from what i read the Storm arn't going to try to entice Folau to stay with a bigger contract offer

I don't think he'd go back on his word in any case.

Holy Crap!!! It's bad enough we are losing so many players because of what we are supposedly paying Folau - but if he isn't actually locked in, then that's even worse.

He is coming home don't sweat it people. Blame the NRL and the players Association for the way the contract negotiations are handled. We need to have a 3 week window at the end of the season to sign contracts IMO.

technically we haven't actually lost anyone yet because Kemp and Hannant haven't offically signed contracts yet either.

reckon brisbane thru a big deal to kemp?

Man, Bruno seems dumb. A small part of me wants Folau to stay in Melbourne, just so this clueless man can be fired already...

How is this Bruno's fault if you can't sign players until after Round 13 (or whatever the deal is) ?

draggx said:

From what i'm hearing it was significantly less than the 250k that the Warriors offered him

renouf said:
How is this Bruno's fault if you can't sign players until after Round 13 (or whatever the deal is) ?

I think it's more that he assumed Folau is already as good as signed, and is letting players go because of it. If this is true, and Folau doesn't sign, he'd look pretty stupid, kinda like he did when he failed to get Bellamy.

Alec said:
renouf said:

I think it's more that he assumed Folau already signed, and is letting players go because of it. If this is true, and Folau doesn't sign, he'd look pretty stupid, kinda like he did when he failed to get Bellamy.

The problem is if we needed to let player go to make room for Folau, but instead re-sign everyone just because Folau isn't able to sign a contract until after round 13. if we re-sign everyone and Folau honours his decision to come to the club then we will have significantly be breeching the salary cap. Think about it.

Alec said:
renouf said:

I think it's more that he assumed Folau is already as good as signed, and is letting players go because of it. If this is true, and Folau doesn't sign, he'd look pretty stupid, kinda like he did when he failed to get Bellamy.

So what's he meant to do? Offer them all contracts?

I think the system is flawed because you can offer people contracts but they can't sign them until a certain date, and then it's perfectly within their rights to say no.

Whereas the club can't offer 100 players contracts for next year and then say on the day, sorry, no money now, deal's off.

bfoord said:
draggx said:

From what i'm hearing it was significantly less than the 250k that the Warriors offered him

bah shoulda reworded it..

i ment after friday nights game and knowing this rule

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • levikaden
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bongo
  • Santa
  • porouian
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.