OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

But he does need the inside men to put him in those positions and the team as a whole to create the roll on through the ruck and manufacture situations for a spread to him at center.

Realistically we have strike in the outside backs as it is with Oates, Herbie, Staggs and Coates.... and in the same way that we had strike with Roberts. But you need to get them the ball in the right situations so they can exploit a mismatch.
I agree with you mate. I even think Tesi has been a little short changed too. He’s not been given a look at a ball with some space around him. I think Tesi is the one who will do most of the backing up of forwards when he gets a decent run.

JAC is such a one-dimensional player. He has speed, that's it. If you get a good defensive line on him, he is easily rag-dolled and it puts their exit sets on the back foot. He is a poor defender but their structures protect him.

There is a reason they are going after Coates. Speed. Coates has so much more to his game than that but his speed is the only reason the Storm want him.

I'd be getting in his ear about that. They don't give a shit about developing his game, only so far as him doing one job and that's run fast, either with the ball in hand or in support. And if he still wants to go, make him realise that they want his speed, there are very few players that can offer that, and it's not something that can be taught, so make them have to pay for it.

JAC is such a one-dimensional player. He has speed, that's it. If you get a good defensive line on him, he is easily rag-dolled and it puts their exit sets on the back foot. He is a poor defender but their structures protect him.

There is a reason they are going after Coates. Speed. Coates has so much more to his game than that but his speed is the only reason the Storm want him.

I'd be getting in his ear about that. They don't give a shit about developing his game, only so far as him doing one job and that's run fast, either with the ball in hand or in support. And if he still wants to go, make him realise that they want his speed, there are very few players that can offer that, and it's not something that can be taught, so make them have to pay for it.
Can’t disagree more. He’s added plenty of flair to his game and a player who should’ve been all speed has actually become pretty good at a lot of other skills. You are right about his working sets though, he’s just too small.

JAC went from the next James Roberts story at the tigers to the first picked for the origin each year, and making his Australian debut. I can’t see any winger being picked for Aus ahead of him if he remains at the Storm.

The reality is, there probably isn’t a single better team for the kid to
go to in terms of career progression. You’re wrong if you think Bellamy won’t take full advantage of his height and vertical leap, like they did with Folau. If Coates goes to Storm he plays for Australia within 12 months.

Can’t disagree more. He’s added plenty of flair to his game and a player who should’ve been all speed has actually become pretty good at a lot of other skills. You are right about his working sets though, he’s just too small.

JAC went from the next James Roberts story at the tigers to the first picked for the origin each year, and making his Australian debut. I can’t see any winger being picked for Aus ahead of him if he remains at the Storm.

The reality is, there probably isn’t a single better team for the kid to
go to in terms of career progression. You’re wrong if you think Bellamy won’t take full advantage of his height and vertical leap, like they did with Folau. If Coates goes to Storm he plays for Australia within 12 months.
If he stays here with Reynolds kicking to him with pinpoint accuracy he'll be playing for Australia within 12 months too.

Ask yourself who drives Storm's systems? When Bellyache steps down the Storm will have a massive hole to fill. Coates is better off staying here and learning under Kevvie. Our systems are beginning to change and under DD we'll soon be back to being the powerhouse of the NRL.

If he stays here with Reynolds kicking to him with pinpoint accuracy he'll be playing for Australia within 12 months too.

Ask yourself who drives Storm's systems? When Bellyache steps down the Storm will have a massive hole to fill. Coates is better off staying here and learning under Kevvie. Our systems are beginning to change and under DD we'll soon be back to being the powerhouse of the NRL.

There’s no guarantee that Bellamy finishes up as coach within the next 2 years so there’s a decent chance Coates plays out his contract under Belly. Even if he does retire it won’t be until the 2nd year of Coates 2 year deal - with Belly likely remaining at the club in some capacity.

The absolute worst case scenario for Coates is that Belly retires completely at the end of next year and the club free falls to the bottom of the ladder.

Or he can stay at the broncos where that’s already a reality and hope that it improves to Storm levels by some miracle within 12 months.

There’s no guarantee that Bellamy finishes up as coach within the next 2 years so there’s a decent chance Coates plays out his contract under Belly. Even if he does retire it won’t be until the 2nd year of Coates 2 year deal - with Belly likely remaining at the club in some capacity.

The absolute worst case scenario for Coates is that Belly retires completely at the end of next year and the club free falls to the bottom of the ladder.

Or he can stay at the broncos where that’s already a reality and hope that it improves to Storm levels by some miracle within 12 months.
Too true. The Storm will be desperate to squeeze every last drop from Bellyache before he leaves.

There are only three coaches in the NRL with the pulling power we desire. WB, Belly and Robbo.

Failing Benny's return to the club, the Broncos need to manufacture the same character. That only comes from a long-serving coach who has success. Can Kevvie achieve this? I'm certain he can. He needs the right mentors (DD) and the proper support staff (again DD should provide this) to ensure his long-term vision of re-inventing the Broncos as a Queensland powerhouse.

We also need the QRL to get on board with us. If/when two players are eligible for a certain position in the origin team and both are considered equally talented the QRL should be instructing their coach to choose the Qld based player. It won't stop the drain to Victoria or Sydney but it will certainly give the Qld based clubs a small advantage when recruiting and keeping players with aspirations to play for Qld/Australia.

Don't see what Coates has to his game more than JAC right now, to be honest. Coates doesn't work the ball out well either and is a terrible defender too. I think JAC's timing is right up there with Slater's as well, its something you just can't coach. Coates can jump well, but that's about all he has over JAC right now.

In Townsville for the game tonight and whilst going for an after breakfast walk along the strand actually ran into Xavier Coates. I shook his hand and wished him luck for tonight's game but didn't have the heart to ask if he was leaving the Broncos. He is one tall dude though.

In Townsville for the game tonight and whilst going for an after breakfast walk along the strand actually ran into Xavier Coates. I shook his hand and wished him luck for tonight's game but didn't have the heart to ask if he was leaving the Broncos. He is one tall dude though.
After you left, did you happen to notice if he get onto a boat or into an Uber?

That should tell us everything we need to know.

After you left, did you happen to notice if he get onto a boat or into an Uber?

That should tell us everything we need to know.
No didn't notice that but i must say he seems like a nice young fella in all honesty.

ScreenScreenshot 2021 05 08 at 14 58 16 Titans blow Broncos Storm away with bid for Coates

Latest report claims the Titans are bidding more than $1 million for a two year contract. The same report claims the Broncos are bidding $500K a season, which they say is less. The Storm are allegedly bidding less again, and the Cowboys less than that. Nothing is backed up with anything. His manager says it's ongoing.

Holbrooks isn't giving anything away to back up the claim:

“Melbourne seems his preferred option so I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes there. We don’t know. He is very fast. Josh Addo-Carr showed with a bit of speed you can score some tries, it’s a pretty good asset.”

Payne Haas:

“It’s Xavier’s choice at the end of the day but we have a young guy that’s on the up. ‘Kevvie’ is the right man for the job and Dave Donaghy has come in as new CEO. I feel like the club is going to be on the up again and get back to what the Broncos used to be. I understand how Xavier feels because I almost joined the Storm. Several of us guys have put faith in the Broncos, it’s got such a rich history, so hopefully Xavier wants to be part of making Brisbane a winning club again.”

Corey Oates:

“Everyone would be chasing him, Melbourne is just the big name everyone is throwing out there. He is a young fella and I’m sure he knows what’s right and best for himself. It’s always great to keep young talent that you have coming through. You want to keep them as long as you can. At the end of the day it’s a business. Clubs all look at it the same way. As players it’s what we love to do. It’s our career. He’s got to think of all of that. He is a huge talent. Look at how big he is and he’s got more growth in him. I’m sure he will make the right decision.”

McHunt

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Aldo
  • Lostboy
  • Tim K
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  • davidp
  • Bucking Beads
  • HarryAllan7
  • Jedhead
  • Gaz
  • jarro65
  • Fatboy
  • Financeguy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • pennywisealfie
  • Allo
  • dasherhalo
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.