OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

You make some reasonable points but attacking guys with a different view might also be described as 'smaller man' stuff. Some of points made by those unhappy with Coates are also valid. Coates is entitled to make his decision but fans are equally entitled not to be happy with a player who has effectively ditched the club and its fans.
He hasn't ditched the club and his fans. He's seeing out his contract and promising to give us his all. I don't know why this is so hard for so many to understand. He's our player now, but he never was our player next year.

It would be a dream result for sure.

On another note, I’m really enjoying the conversation in this thread about loyalty, etc and honestly I agree with both sides of the debate.

I totally understand why Coates has gone and if I were him I’d make the same decision and it breaks my heart to say that but to go into that system is just too good an opportunity to pass up.

I also hate it from the club’s point of view as we did stick with him while he was raw and other options could have been used. Now he’s becoming one of the best singers in the comp (even if not there yet), he’s been poached by the best team in the comp.

It hurts because financially our hands are tied due to being held back by a salary cap and there being no benefit to developing players.

At the same time, we have only ourselves to blame, if we didn’t bring on our own demise, if we managed things so much better than we have over the last decade, Coates, Fifita, Walker, Walsh all might still be here, at least some of them.

We sacrificed experience for youth and now we’ve lost both and still have an unbalanced salary cap.

It’s a mess and while I’m gutted he has gone, I get it and hopefully after all this pain, the needed changes off field will happen and we can start to build on a foundation Kevvie is starting to build on field.
We can still understand why he left and not appreciate how he’s left, whilst pissing in our pocket and telling us it’s raining. I dislike 15 other clubs in this competition but would love some of their players at my club. At this point he’s a Storm player and

Plain and simple Coates and his manager were duplicitous

Again......player managers. They alone are the biggest scourge in the NRL. Player managers should be scrapped and clubs that own the player...manage the player.

Hopefully last Saturday was the last time Coates pulls on a Brisbane jersey this year.

He can finish the year in the reggies as far as I concerned.

I just think he needs a dictionary so he can look up the meaning of the world "life"

because life does not equal 1 month

He hasn't ditched the club and his fans. He's seeing out his contract and promising to give us his all. I don't know why this is so hard for so many to understand. He's our player now, but he never was our player next year.
I understand your perspective but he's also leaving a club that put a lot into him without him giving much back at this stage so there's no reason for fans to love him for it. He's entitled to make his decision and fans are entitled to be unimpressed. Most issues are not black or white, and it's okay if folks see things differently. On this one chances are that no one is totally right and no one is totally wrong. People can disagree and the circus moves on. I just don't think it's necessary to rip into someone with a different view. On a more positive note It's been a great discussion and really interesting to hear what everyone thinks. I think we all need some news on signings to cheer us up - unfortunately it's been one way traffic so far.

Exactly. Just make peace with him wearing a Maroon jersey 3 x times a year and be done with it.

I understand your perspective but he's also leaving a club that put a lot into him without him giving much back at this stage so there's no reason for fans to love him for it. He's entitled to make his decision and fans are entitled to be unimpressed. Most issues are not black or white, and it's okay if folks see things differently. On this one chances are that no one is totally right and no one is totally wrong. People can disagree and the circus moves on. I just don't think it's necessary to rip into someone with a different view. On a more positive note It's been a great discussion and really interesting to hear what everyone thinks. I think we all need some news on signings to cheer us up - unfortunately it's been one way traffic so far.
If I'm personally a good enough kid to play NRL I have no doubt I'd want to become the best NRL player I could be, and **** the money at this stage.

Sadly, that used to mean they came to us, but for near on two decades now, it's meant they go to Melbourne.

How about we do something radical now and go back to being that place instead of being upset that Melbourne ripped it out from under us while we posted $50 million+ turnovers every year and pretended that was how to run a good football club?

I agree with this post to an extent, however the situations are so different, they warrant a completely different and appropriate response.
If Coates played a good part in getting us a premiership, it would still suck to see him leave, but there would be no animosity, and you would thank him for his service and wish him well.
However, he contributed to our first spoon, and jumped ship for greener pastures.
So he doesnt get my well wishes, or a thanks for your service.

He gets my resentment and my disdain, and while it may seem petty and begrudged, i believe he deserves it.

I dont blame the kid for taking the best opportunities he is offered, we all would do the same, however it stings because he was a part of why we are in the situation we are in, and instead of redeeming himself and helping the club out of the mess he had a hand in delivering to us, he bails.
Yep, I get that. He was a part of it all right but I can't get away from the fact that he was 19 during that time and I think he was doing his level best to help. To me he's just a kid and I am lrepared to cut him some slack. I don't blame him for our spoon, that's too much. I know he was a part of it too but all the same, I'm not angry he's going but in saying that I wished he stayed to be part of the revival that's coming. That game the other night showed me he is committed to doing his best this year and at the end of the day, that is all we're paying him for and all that we can ask. I do understand the anger but you're wise, you know part of it is because we've been humiliated and we fucking hate it.

I agree with this post to an extent, however the situations are so different, they warrant a completely different and appropriate response.
If Coates played a good part in getting us a premiership, it would still suck to see him leave, but there would be no animosity, and you would thank him for his service and wish him well.
However, he contributed to our first spoon, and jumped ship for greener pastures.
So he doesnt get my well wishes, or a thanks for your service.

He gets my resentment and my disdain, and while it may seem petty and begrudged, i believe he deserves it.

I dont blame the kid for taking the best opportunities he is offered, we all would do the same, however it stings because he was a part of why we are in the situation we are in, and instead of redeeming himself and helping the club out of the mess he had a hand in delivering to us, he bails.
Sorry, but a teenage Winger is not 'why we are where we are' and a 19 year old Winger is not going to get us out of this mess either.

I'm cut he's going, but lets call it what it is, which is a gross failure of the system, and hold the people operating that system responsible instead of blaming just the end result.

Sorry, but a teenage Winger is not 'why we are where we are' and a 19 year old Winger is not going to get us out of this mess either.

I'm cut he's going, but lets call it what it is, which is a gross failure of the system, and hold the people operating that system responsible instead of blaming just the end result.
I said he is "part" of the reason we are, where we are.

And you are right, he alone wont solve our issues, but if our best young talent keeps leaving, then we are in a lot of trouble.
And i agree, the people responsible for retaining our talent need to be put through the ringer for their part in this.

Part of why i target blokes like Dearden and now Coates with vitriol is because these young guys are the most vocal with the media about how loyal they are to the club, only to turn around and leave.

I said he is "part" of the reason we are, where we are.

And you are right, he alone wont solve our issues, but if our best young talent keeps leaving, then we are in a lot of trouble.
And i agree, the people responsible for retaining our talent need to be put through the ringer for their part in this.

Part of why i target blokes like Dearden and now Coates with vitriol is because these young guys are the most vocal with the media about how loyal they are to the club, only to turn around and leave.
At least Dearden played a position that actually turns results around. I'm spewing about Coates, and I'm even more spewing at club management, but letting a Winger go is honestly just about the least of our worries.

Let's invest in the spine first and then worry about what a teenage Winger wants to be paid for his services.

Absolutely he owes me nothing however he owes the club plenty and as a paid member I am entitled to be pissed about the way this has played out.
You grossly overestimate how much football players care about us, our families and friends, and anything except the bottom line on their annual Tax Return.

You make a some valid points and note that before his decision he was getting hate comments and now they have exploded but how many of you know of the death threats since the Darwin game. My son is good mates with Xavier and the death threats have really shaken him. People are saying his attitude was not up to scratch on Saturday night but how many of you have been bombarded with death threats not sure if some idiot may pull a knife on you???

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • Scorchie
  • Midean
  • Battler
  • davidp
  • Skyblues87
  • mitch222
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • theshed
  • kiwi2
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • FACTHUNT
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.