OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

Interesting to note the difference in response from the club to the signing news between Coates and Dearden. Dearden had seemingly really pissed someone off. They have him a 1 sentence write up and trotted out Danny Levi to handle the press.

I am looking forward to the first spray Coates cops after he comes in off his wing and the opposition (hopefully us) scores a try.

Interesting to note the difference in response from the club to the signing news between Coates and Dearden. Dearden had seemingly really pissed someone off. They have him a 1 sentence write up and trotted out Danny Levi to handle the press.
Interesting take. Perhaps he had been promised a future but told he had to stay in ISC and learn his craft. Dearden may have protested saying he was already the finished product. That week Kevvie pulled him from ISC into the first team I think was Kevvie saying 'OK I admire your confidence - show me what you got' and he came up with plums. This gave kevvie the ammunition to justify him going back to ISC but i think Dearden decided then to jump ship. It's a pity as it looks like he'll be doing the same at the Cows.

I am looking forward to the first spray Coates cops after he comes in off his wing and the opposition (hopefully us) scores a try.

I'm sure he'll also enjoy the 'honesty' group session after games where they berate your performance to make sure you 'do better next time'.

Nothing like humiliation in front of your peers to keep you motivated.

What's so balanced about those wishing injury on Coates for leaving the club to better himself? It's obviously not ideal for us as Brisbane fans but you can't blame the guy.

He is going to a club that probably has a 1-2 year window to win the comp, however long Bellamy stays on for.
Nothing is balanced about it. Never said it was.
Please read what I wrote. I said "most" not "all".
Go back over this thread and you will see the number of people wishing an injury on Coates is 2 maybe 3, and 1 of those has retracted it already. I Repeat "most" not "all".

As to your other point about not blaming him for leaving. I agree with you, and so do "most" others.
Most of us don't blame him for leaving, we blame him for claiming to want to be a Bronco for life, wanting to help the club that gave him his break turn it around, but then fucking off for a better offer at the first opportunity. Clearly he only said the "right things" in case a better offer didn't come along. And that is shitty thing to do, and he deserves to be hated for it. (not agreeing with death threats or injury curses)

Donald Glover Waiting GIF

Me waiting patiently any day now for the Reynolds signing....

Thinking back I'd say this all started last year, the Storm most likely used their players to target Coates in origin camp, he's a young guy and at pretty impressionable stage of his life and career, they sowed the seed of him coming to the Storm and pushed that agenda throughout that series.

High chance we get them in Round 1 so you might be right.

It'll almost certainly be some bullshit like:

Melbourne (A)
Roosters (H)
Panthers (A)
Melbourne (H)
Souths (H)
Parramatta (A)
Panthers (H)
Roosters (A)

I think it is a good choice for him, the Melbourne storm system will do wonders for him. Let's be honest, the broncos are shit and who knows how long for. it is better to develop in a winning atmosphere.

Well he better be ready to work for it.

This is the first high calibre recruit that storm have gone for since Crocker back in the day (I'm surprised more isn't made of that) so storm and Coates are taking a bit if a gamble.

Usually storm grab the guys that are looking for an opportunity and will do anything to get it or young guys they've had in the system and they know.

They won't know too much about Coates after having one coffee with him.... what kind of trainer is he?? How smart a footy player is he?? How dedicated is he??

Coates also won't be able to just turn up, do a couple sessions and think he'll instantly be a world beater. Storm style football is all about fitness and then footy smarts under fatigue... if he cant keep up during preseason he may get chewed up and spat out.

I doubt they will do that, because they've gone to the effort of poaching him and are paying him some serious money, but what if he's not actually a 'storm player'??
If there is one club I trust to have actually done their homework, it's Melbourne.

I understand what your saying, but 'Trust' and 'Melbourne Storm' aren't words that should be used in the same sentence.
Donuts is probably in the rare position of being on both sides in this, having earmarked him for poaching and then trying to stop it.

It’s normally the other way around. We’d hoped he bring some with him. Like when Wayne brought along his mentally ill ward.

I understand what you're saying, but 'Trust' and 'Melbourne Storm' aren't words that should be used in the same sentence.
Not so. I absolutely 'trust' them to look after themselves first and foremost, and no amount of cheating would change my view of that.

Donuts is probably in the rare position of being on both sides in this, having earmarked him for poaching and then trying to stop it.
Realistically he'd be one of the few guys we have that Melbourne probably rate.

Coates, Haas. Perhaps Lodge for the right money maybe?

Storm have had it pretty good with addo carr only paying him around 300k roughly a season now they have had to spend at a guess 50% more for his replacement.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • MrMoore
  • Midean
  • Lostboy
  • LittleDavey
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • Financeguy
  • Emanon
  • Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fatboy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • sooticus
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.