OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Casey smacked Hodges after he dragged him off Minichiello after making a big tackle. I hate it when players interfere with the tackler so was good to see McGuire punish Hodges when the referee wasn't going to.
Yea it was a good shot too, rocked Hodgo to his knee's if i remember right.
Here it is :D

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
How good were those days of footy, you could punch a smartass and it was a quick penalty and move on.
Loved it.
Compare that to now, Mcguire would be looking at 10 weeks on the sidelines and a 20k fine haha.

Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

QCup Player
Oct 23, 2016
I reckon Coates is struggling mentally with the death threats and on line abuse and is in a way trying to let Kevvie know this by the way he is not playing to his potential. He wants out but that would mean the hardliners would win.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
I reckon Coates is struggling mentally with the death threats and on line abuse and is in a way trying to let Kevvie know this by the way he is not playing to his potential. He wants out but that would mean the hardliners would win.
That's a copout.
He doesn't have to check social media, he would have ample access to counseling and support in the Broncos system, and if he doesn't want backlash, he shouldn't lie to his fanbase.

There is no excusing the scum that send him death threats, but at the same time, he doesn't have to read that nonsense either.

A much more likely scenario is he is feeling guilt for the way this whole thing has played out.
He doesn't exactly look like a stand up guy, especially after a lot of Broncos fans came out in support of him after his Origin debut interview where he won over a lot of fans, only to turn around and sign with the clubs biggest and most hated rival.

He would have to be nervous as well, as its no secret how strict the Storms structures are and Bellamy is infamous for lashing his players for even the smallest of mistakes, and Turncoates makes a lot of mistakes. Literally more than any other player in the competition.

I'd be nervous too.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I loved Hodgo.
He had proven himself well before he went to the Rorters and was always welcome back because of that.
Hodges also never gave us a wooden spoon.
From what i remember, Hodgo signed with the Roosters as well because Brisbane never offered him a new contract before the deadline and so he accepted the offer from the Roosters.

He also won a premiership with the Roosters and still came back to the Broncos.

Also you cant compare the two, i dont recall Hodges going to the press and telling everyone how much he loved the club and wanted to stay a Bronco all while touring the Roosters facilities and having lattes with their coach.

Hodges had played 17 games when he went the Roosters. He hadn't proven anything.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Totally on the Leigh Matthews perspective in that he had openly said he'd hire a serial killer if he thought he could help him win.
Can you imagine if he said this in today’s society?
The outrage would be ridiculous lol

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Hodges had played 17 games when he went the Roosters. He hadn't proven anything.
He proved he could play in a side that doesn't win wooden spoons.
He had proved he was NRL ready, thus the contract offer from the Roosters.

That was not the point though.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Thats the thing, i can understand players chasing the money, when the club you are currently at are not offering you anything before a deadline that allows other clubs to come for you.

The key point for me though is Hodges was not part of a team that gave us a spoon then jumped ship, and he wasnt in the press saying how much he loved the club and wanted to stay while signing contracts elsewhere.

Hodges was in negotiations with Brisbane the whole time, Bennett was so cranky the way they dragged it out and then signed with the Roosters he banned Jim Banaghan- Hodges manager from negotiations at Brisbane ever again.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Hodges was in negotiations with Brisbane the whole time, Bennett was so cranky the way they dragged it out and then signed with the Roosters he banned Jim Banaghan- Hodges manager from negotiations at Brisbane ever again.
Wow.
So Broncos couldn't get the deal done in time.
Did the Roosters offer him more money than the Broncos?
Did he leave the Broncos for less money after telling the public how much he loves the club and wants to stay a Bronco?

Didn't think so.

Edit: Did Hodgo have a different manager when returned to the Broncos?
Edit 2: Did Hodgo jump ship after helping the club to a wooden spoon?
Edit 3: Did Hodge bail on the club as one of its rising stars in a club in crisis on the back of other potential big prospects leaving the club?
He also didnt leave the Broncos for the reigning premiers and the Roosters were not the number one Rival of the club.

The differences are massive and you cant compare the two. Its two totally different set of circumstances.

Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

QCup Player
Oct 23, 2016
That's a copout.
He doesn't have to check social media, he would have ample access to counseling and support in the Broncos system, and if he doesn't want backlash, he shouldn't lie to his fanbase.

There is no excusing the scum that send him death threats, but at the same time, he doesn't have to read that nonsense either.

A much more likely scenario is he is feeling guilt for the way this whole thing has played out.
He doesn't exactly look like a stand up guy, especially after a lot of Broncos fans came out in support of him after his Origin debut interview where he won over a lot of fans, only to turn around and sign with the clubs biggest and most hated rival.

He would have to be nervous as well, as its no secret how strict the Storms structures are and Bellamy is infamous for lashing his players for even the smallest of mistakes, and Turncoates makes a lot of mistakes. Literally more than any other player in the competition.

I'd be nervous too.
Look I’m just as upset he is leaving but he is just a kid. We are not privy to any of his reasons for leaving us . For all we know he may have a girlfriend who lives in Melbourne and is enrolled in a course down there. So he put his girlfriend over his club. We just don’t know. One door closes and it could well open for someone else with blinding speed with a great step and an Aussie rules leap to catch the ball. Then it will be Coates Who?

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Look I’m just as upset he is leaving but he is just a kid. We are not privy to any of his reasons for leaving us . For all we know he may have a girlfriend who lives in Melbourne and is enrolled in a course down there. So he put his girlfriend over his club. We just don’t know. One door closes and it could well open for someone else with blinding speed with a great step and an Aussie rules leap to catch the ball. Then it will be Coates Who?
Yea look i agree with that.
Just the timing of it reeks of a rat fleeing a sinking ship, all while tell the others on the ship he is going nowhere.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Yea it was a good shot too, rocked Hodgo to his knee's if i remember right.
Here it is :D

You could say Hodges’ chin was never the same again or maybe he never had a chin...

but yeah... make nrl great again..

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Wow.
So Broncos couldn't get the deal done in time.
Did the Roosters offer him more money than the Broncos?
Did he leave the Broncos for less money after telling the public how much he loves the club and wants to stay a Bronco?

Didn't think so.

Edit: Did Hodgo have a different manager when returned to the Broncos?
Edit 2: Did Hodgo jump ship after helping the club to a wooden spoon?
Edit 3: Did Hodge bail on the club as one of its rising stars in a club in crisis on the back of other potential big prospects leaving the club?
He also didnt leave the Broncos for the reigning premiers and the Roosters were not the number one Rival of the club.

The differences are massive and you cant compare the two. Its two totally different set of circumstances.

Roosters weren’t a rival? They’d played each other in the last Grand Final and Roosters would play in the next three with Hodges!

Call it a night mate.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Roosters weren’t a rival? They’d played each other in the last Grand Final and Roosters would play in the next three with Hodges!

Call it a night mate.
Nah, they didn't.
Hodges joined them in 2002, they won the Grand Final that year, the previous year was Eels and Knights.
The year before that, Broncos beat the Roosters.
So Hodges, in effect, left the most recent premiership winners to join the Roosters.
The Roosters main rivals in that Era was arguably St George, and maybe the Doggies/Rabbitohs.
Definitely not the Broncos.

Also it doesn't matter if Hodges played in the next 3 Grand Finals with them. That has no bearing at all on this topic, But when Hodges joined them they had not won a premiership since 1975.

So the point is, Hodges didnt jump ship from the wooden spooners, for the premiers, for less money after declaring how much he loved the club publicly and stating he wanted to stay a Bronco.

You might need to call it a night too bud.

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
Back in the days when Brisbane could control terms. Players just said yes please...Did Hodges leave to play fullback rather than being Sailors replacement? Money probably played a factor. Hodges has pretty brash back then. First year at the Roosters, he looked like he swallowed all the steroids he could find. Ended up playing centre? The marriage was short lived anyways...Hodges has always been a player that you only like if he plays for you. Serial prick.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Fitzy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  • Galah
  • Mister Wright
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.