OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Hodges hadn't proven himself at all, he was a promising youngster who hadn't even cemented a first team spot. We wanted to keep him but he fucked off to the Roosters, which caused him to get dropped for the rest of the season in place of another youngster... Brent Tate.

Coates never gave us the wooden spoon what is this nonsense? Like yeah if Coates wasn't in the team we wouldn't have come dead last? Bit of perspective yeah?

Coates could very well go and win a premiership with the Storm... would you welcome him back thereafter?
Wrong, Hodges was never part of a team that gave us a spoon, Coates was.
Hodges never professed his love of the club and his desire to stay a Bronco, Coates did.
Hodges never got resigned before the deadline imposed by the NRL so he took the Roosters offer.
Bennett was pissed about it so relegated him to Qcup.

Hodges did ok in his first two seasons, nothing special, but not terrible, much the same with Coates.
Hodges didnt tell the fans and his teammates he was staying at the Broncos while touring the Roosters facilities and taking lunches with the Roosters coach.

2001​

Hodges was promoted to the full-time NRL team for the 2001 Brisbane Broncos season, however only played in 12 matches and scored 4 tries for the club.[6]

The Broncos failed to re-sign Hodges before 30 June anti-tampering date, which was to prevent clubs taking players from other clubs.

Hodges then signed a three-year deal with the Sydney Roosters. Feeling betrayed by his defection,[7] Broncos coach Wayne Bennett told Hodges that his services were no longer required and pushed him back to the Broncos' feeder club, the Toowoomba Clydesdales.

The circumstances are completely different, cant compare the two.

Coates was offered a fair contract with the Broncos, which he turned down for less money to go to the Storm.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Wrong, Hodges was never part of a team that gave us a spoon, Coates was.
Hodges never professed his love of the club and his desire to stay a Bronco, Coates did.
Hodges never got resigned before the deadline imposed by the NRL so he took the Roosters offer.
Bennett was pissed about it so relegated him to Qcup.

Hodges did ok in his first two seasons, nothing special, but not terrible, much the same with Coates.
Hodges didnt tell the fans and his teammates he was staying at the Broncos while touring the Roosters facilities and taking lunches with the Roosters coach.

2001​

Hodges was promoted to the full-time NRL team for the 2001 Brisbane Broncos season, however only played in 12 matches and scored 4 tries for the club.[6]

The Broncos failed to re-sign Hodges before 30 June anti-tampering date, which was to prevent clubs taking players from other clubs.

Hodges then signed a three-year deal with the Sydney Roosters. Feeling betrayed by his defection,[7] Broncos coach Wayne Bennett told Hodges that his services were no longer required and pushed him back to the Broncos' feeder club, the Toowoomba Clydesdales.[
Where did I say that Hodges "won" us the spoon? I didn't, because it didn't happen. Subsequently, Coates never "won" us the spoon either despite your attempts to pin the blame (solely?) on him. Who gives a **** if he was talks with another club? Just about every player is at some stage. Lockyer spoke with the Roosters at one point. Coates played origin within his first 2 seasons, Hodges didn't.

You are confusing us not re-signing him prior to the June 30 deadline as us not wanting to keep him at all, which simply wasn't the case. if it was, why did we drop him after he signed elsewhere?

You and others are being far too emo about this. It'd actually be pretty funny if he did come back in a few years time to see how you change your tune.

Players move on, change clubs... it happens.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Where did I say that Hodges "won" us the spoon? I didn't, because it didn't happen. Subsequently, Coates never "won" us the spoon either despite your attempts to pin the blame (solely?) on him. Who gives a **** if he was talks with another club? Just about every player is at some stage. Lockyer spoke with the Roosters at one point. Coates played origin within his first 2 seasons, Hodges didn't.

You are confusing us not re-signing him prior to the June 30 deadline as us not wanting to keep him at all, which simply wasn't the case. if it was, why did we drop him after he signed elsewhere?

You and others are being far too emo about this. It'd actually be pretty funny if he did come back in a few years time to see how you change your tune.

Players move on, change clubs... it happens.
Stop being pedantic.

Coates was part of the team that got us the spoon, correct?
Hodges was not part of the team that got us the spoon, correct?

And don't be a dumb shit, i never pinned the blame of the spoon on Coates, i am stating he is part of the team that did, don't be daft. No one individual has ever given an entire team the spoon, the fact that has to be spelled out to you is weird.

Again, you conveniently skip over the key points.
Did Hodges get offered a contract by the Broncos before the deadline? Nope!
Did Hodges turn down any contract by the deadline from the Broncos to take less money at the Roosters? Nope!

Did Hodges publicly tell the club and the fans he loves the club and isnt going anywhere? Nope!
Coates sure fucking did though.

And you can bookmark this post for the future in case he comes back to the Broncos and i will stand by what i have said, i don't want him back here, same with Dearden, same with Fifita.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
What people are most pissed off at @Renegade is professing a love for the club and desire to be 1 club players, and then pissing off at the first opportunity.
This is why we don't want Coates back, but welcomed back Hodges.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
I am pretty sure Wayne was so pissed at hodgo for chasing the money he dropped him to the Clydesdales for the rest of the season.....the broncos definitely wanted him to stay. It might be in Wayne’s book.
Thats the thing, i can understand players chasing the money, when the club you are currently at are not offering you anything before a deadline that allows other clubs to come for you.

The key point for me though is Hodges was not part of a team that gave us a spoon then jumped ship, and he wasnt in the press saying how much he loved the club and wanted to stay while signing contracts elsewhere.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
What people are most pissed off at @Renegade is professing a love for the club and desire to be 1 club players, and then pissing off at the first opportunity.
This is why we don't want Coates back, but welcomed back Hodges.
Exactly this.

Plus its a completely different set of circumstances, we DID offer Coates a contract, he turned it down for less money to leave.
That never happened with Hodgo.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
There’s a special bond brewing at the broncos. Seeing the team and staff going wild after meads last try was pretty amazing. Coates is going to miss those moments next year.
It must have been awkward in the sheds for Coates after that win i imagine.
Would be sort of hard to get hyped and celebrate a win for a team you are leaving, when you did sweet **** all to earn that win.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Stop being pedantic.

Coates was part of the team that got us the spoon, correct?
Hodges was not part of the team that got us the spoon, correct?

And don't be a dumb shit, i never pinned the blame of the spoon on Coates, i am stating he is part of the team that did, don't be daft. No one individual has ever given an entire team the spoon, the fact that has to be spelled out to you is weird.

Again, you conveniently skip over the key points.
Did Hodges get offered a contract by the Broncos before the deadline? Nope!
Did Hodges turn down any contract by the deadline from the Broncos to take less money at the Roosters? Nope!

Did Hodges publicly tell the club and the fans he loves the club and isnt going anywhere? Nope!
Coates sure fucking did though.

And you can bookmark this post for the future in case he comes back to the Broncos and i will stand by what i have said, i don't want him back here, same with Dearden, same with Fifita.
I'm not skipping over anything, you failed to answer the question. Why did Wayne drop Hodges if we didn't give a shit about him leaving? We had already put time into developing him with a view to him being a first grade. The June 30th deadline simply meant that others could also offer a contract. Did we **** it up by not offering one prior? Sure, but I don't remember the circumstances as to why that happened. Were we pissed off he was leaving? Yes.

Hodges was well disliked for quite a few years after this occurred, similar to Coates. I remember Casey Maguire putting one on his chin after he got lippy in a game between us and the roosters. But Hodges was young and did what he thought was best for himself at the time.

I don't give a **** if he said he bled broncos colours, has nightly sex on a broncos doona, whacks one out to the theme song every night. Doesn't mean shit in the end, does it? Then again, I follow football (soccer) where just about everyone who is leaving peddles the same shit. You end up not putting too much stock into it, evidently you do, more power to you, but it leaves you in this emotionally unhinged position when a player leaves a club despite saying to the contrary.

As for him leaving for less money, so what? If I was a professional player and had come last the previous season and my current club was an absolute shambles, you better believe I am taking the offer to be under the best coach in the league in an extremely stable and professional environment. Loyalty is dead both ways.

I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this so happy for you to respond and leave it there.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
I'm not skipping over anything, you failed to answer the question. Why did Wayne drop Hodges if we didn't give a shit about him leaving? We had already put time into developing him with a view to him being a first grade. The June 30th deadline simply meant that others could also offer a contract. Did we **** it up by not offering one prior? Sure, but I don't remember the circumstances as to why that happened. Were we pissed off he was leaving? Yes.

Hodges was well disliked for quite a few years after this occurred, similar to Coates. I remember Casey Maguire putting one on his chin after he got lippy in a game between us and the roosters. But Hodges was young and did what he thought was best for himself at the time.

I don't give a **** if he said he bled broncos colours, has nightly sex on a broncos doona, whacks one out to the theme song every night. Doesn't mean shit in the end, does it? Then again, I follow football (soccer) where just about everyone who is leaving peddles the same shit. You end up not putting too much stock into it, evidently you do, more power to you, but it leaves you in this emotionally unhinged position when a player leaves a club despite saying to the contrary.

As for him leaving for less money, so what? If I was a professional player and had come last the previous season and my current club was an absolute shambles, you better believe I am taking the offer to be under the best coach in the league in an extremely stable and professional environment. Loyalty is dead both ways.

I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this so happy for you to respond and leave it there.
That's fine mate, each to their own.
And i am emotionally invested in my team, and like Hodgo, if Coates had been up front and honest, and not lied through his teeth to his fans, and then left for the money, i would be open to welcoming him back.

Also Maguire put one on his chin because Hodgo was at the time regarded as one of the best sledgers in the game and there was a lot of blokes who would have loved to put his lights out, and i doubt Hodgo leaving the club had anything to do with Casey smacking him and more than Hodgo probably talked shit about his misses mid-game.

Loyalty and honesty go a long way for me mate, and Coates has neither and im glad he is leaving.
I am not a win at all costs type of bloke and would rather lose with a team of loyal, honest players who love the jersey, than win a premiership with a group of mercenaries who are here solely for the money.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Loyalty and honesty go a long way for me mate, and Coates has neither and im glad he is leaving.
I am not a win at all costs type of bloke and would rather lose with a team of loyal, honest players who love the jersey, than win a premiership with a group of mercenaries who are here solely for the money.
I know I said I'd leave it there, and technically that is true as I'm no longer discussing Hodges (lol), but I'm kinda the opposite. I'd rather win with a bunch of dickheads than lose with a bunch of good guys, that's why everyone plays the sport, to win. Totally on the Leigh Matthews perspective in that he had openly said he'd hire a serial killer if he thought he could help him win.

I totally get the community perspective of the club and how that image is important, and while I'm not a win at absolutely all costs (cheating), I'm all about success. Most footy players are probably wankers in their own time anyway so I don't really respect the person, just their craft. If they're a good bloke and a winner, even better, but ask me to choose from the two and I'm taking the winner every time. Sport is entertainment to me so that's why I don't really care too much about character and so on. yeah we lost every game this year but we've got such wonderful guys, i couldn't imagine it any other way. Pass. Give me the ***** and the trophy.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
I've watched 45+ years of footy and I have to say that Coates would be in my top 5 worst defenders I've seen. Not sure who the other 4 would be but Coates is definitely there. He is an absolute pot plant in defence.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
I know I said I'd leave it there, and technically that is true as I'm no longer discussing Hodges (lol), but I'm kinda the opposite. I'd rather win with a bunch of dickheads than lose with a bunch of good guys, that's why everyone plays the sport, to win. Totally on the Leigh Matthews perspective in that he had openly said he'd hire a serial killer if he thought he could help him win.

I totally get the community perspective of the club and how that image is important, and while I'm not a win at absolutely all costs (cheating), I'm all about success. Most footy players are probably wankers in their own time anyway so I don't really respect the person, just their craft. If they're a good bloke and a winner, even better, but ask me to choose from the two and I'm taking the winner every time. Sport is entertainment to me so that's why I don't really care too much about character and so on. yeah we lost every game this year but we've got such wonderful guys, i couldn't imagine it any other way. Pass. Give me the ***** and the trophy.
Yea mate different strokes for different folks.
Im like the disgruntled ex when it comes to Fifita, Dearden and Coates.
**** them all and the horses they rode in on haha.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I've watched 45+ years of footy and I have to say that Coates would be in my top 5 worst defenders I've seen. Not sure who the other 4 would be but Coates is definitely there. He is an absolute pot plant in defence.
"pot plant" in defence :rofl

Finbar

Finbar

QCup Player
May 21, 2018
I remember Casey Maguire putting one on his chin after he got lippy in a game between us and the roosters.

Also Maguire put one on his chin because Hodgo was at the time regarded as one of the best sledgers in the game and there was a lot of blokes who would have loved to put his lights out, and i doubt Hodgo leaving the club had anything to do with Casey smacking him and more than Hodgo probably talked shit about his misses mid-game.
Casey smacked Hodges after he dragged him off Minichiello after making a big tackle. I hate it when players interfere with the tackler so was good to see McGuire punish Hodges when the referee wasn't going to.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.