PLAYER Xavier Willison

He must be strong as too because there was that period where he was pushing all the dolphins back 5 metres or so in defence.
They were matching us through the middle until he came on. At one point he pushed two consecutive attackers back several metres basically fucking any momentum they had that set. He doesn't quite bend the line like Haas but I think he's got him pipped from a defensive standpoint.

I don't agree regarding Haas. We put on plays last night with Ezra and Walsh but there was very little space for them to work with - this is where we are missing Haas. The plays would normally go on the back of his runs where he needs 3-4 defenders to stop him and stays on his feet for a fast PTB. The defence has been drawn in, leaving more space outside. It was noticeable last night how important his runs are for our style of play.
Also, when Payne chimes into the backline, more often than not, we score. He's in our set moves.

More of this:

Not clear how the Broncs are missing Payne? He's getting paid spine player dollars and also a potential liability to the clubs reputation, obviously a very good player but I've always though the most important stats with him weren't being measured somehow, he dominates the stats... yet doesn't seem to influence games nearly that much. Arey.. on the other hand, pretty clear when he's not there.
The bloke who has replaced him has had a game where ran for 18m (compared to Haas’ 200) is a liability in defence, and gives away Flegler-esque stupid penalties. We’ve been playing off the back foot in most games since he’s been out, even with Patty playing unbelievably, and have to rely on either Arey’s kicking game (cows) or the speed and quality of our backs (storm, second half Penrith). Thank god Willison has had his breakout game

The challenge obviously will be to keep this blokes together but yeah if we can, no other forward pack will get close to us, we’ll destroy everyone.
I figure we lose both Te Kura and Williston once we develop them Like Flegler, Coates, Farnworth,Palasia and the many others. Enjoy it for a year or two I guess. We need a better version of Baker and second rower long term. Taupau has to replace baker atm

We need to wrap Xman up long term asap, clubs are going to be lining up with huge offers if we don’t. With Xman and Haas, we have our front row for the next decade and no one will challenge them, not even Penrith. Big call but imagine having two Haas like props…that’s what we are projecting toward!
I'd probably put Xavier is the Tino mould but could potentially be better which is scary.
Clubs are going to be lining up offering him big money. We have to be locking him up now

I'd probably put Xavier is the Tino mould but could potentially be better which is scary.
Clubs are going to be lining up offering him big money. We have to be locking him up now
That’s something we don’t seem to do at all, we always get to the point where they’re free to negotiate.

You would have three props on the field at once?
I think you would and could. Payne takes on the ball playing lock role anyways when Pat went off against the chooks. It’s certainly feasible how often it would line up that way would be once in a blue moon but to dismiss it as a possibility or a weakness as a whole because they are all props is possibly a step to far. But yes when we are up by like 20 against someone what I would do to see the 3 of them churn out 15 minutes together. Oh god I would hate to be that poor opposition.

The challenge obviously will be to keep this blokes together but yeah if we can, no other forward pack will get close to us, we’ll destroy everyone.
Yeah at a minimum we will lose one of Ben or X, potentially both by the second pro contract. Unless one pushes Haas out.

Another headache is what to do at hooker. I hope I’ve been chill on Walters long enough to have a sensible conversation about it.Walters definitely contributes and has a rough competitiveness about him but I do think on pure talent Smoothy has him covered. Almost 50/50 on who you’d pick but I’d prefer Smoothy, his service really helps our attack. So how do we fit Mozer ?

I think you would and could. Payne takes on the ball playing lock role anyways when Pat went off against the chooks. It’s certainly feasible how often it would line up that way would be once in a blue moon but to dismiss it as a possibility or a weakness as a whole because they are all props is possibly a step to far. But yes when we are up by like 20 against someone what I would do to see the 3 of them churn out 15 minutes together. Oh god I would hate to be that poor opposition.
Could even run Payne abit wider at the Halves he's quick and mobile so he could give Riki or Piakura a rest for 15.
Have Carrigan play his ball playing role and Te Kura and Willison through the middle.

Yeah at a minimum we will lose one of Ben or X, potentially both by the second pro contract. Unless one pushes Haas out.

Another headache is what to do at hooker. I hope I’ve been chill on Walters long enough to have a sensible conversation about it.Walters definitely contributes and has a rough competitiveness about him but I do think on pure talent Smoothy has him covered. Almost 50/50 on who you’d pick but I’d prefer Smoothy, his service really helps our attack. So how do we fit Mozer ?

Walters isn't getting younger. The reality is, he could hang around for a couple of years as depth but honestly, Smoothy is the guy who should lead Mozer through, probably from next season. Smoothy is in the right age to become the main guy while Mozer gets eased into first grade.

This is no knock on Billy either, it is just the reality of him being the oldest of the hookers (not counting Paix), he straight outta Red Hill once his contract is done, rightly or wrongly. It will be interesting to see how Kevvie handles the hookers, especially given the one who looks the odd one out is his own son. I wonder if Billy would be pragmatic enough to know he might not get a gig elsewhere due to his age and be willing to hang around as hooker/halves depth?

Could even run Payne abit wider at the Halves he's quick and mobile so he could give Riki or Piakura a rest for 15.
Have Carrigan play his ball playing role and Te Kura and Willison through the middle.
I think that’s probably a bit too far-fetched. You’d be more likely to get Willison on the edge and them 4 that way. But **** it let’s go one better play Hetho at hooker, Carrigan lock, Willison left second row, Haas and Te Kura props for like 15 minutes after being up by like 30-40 already and I think we would genuinely make 13 grown men and a coach cry.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.