You are an A grade...

B

bronco_babe77

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
mrslong said:
Nashy said:
Yeah good one, I joined up.

I'm sure poor old Sims feels bad enough as it is without everyone else harping on about it. Poor kid.

Yeah I joined too. Poor guy. Everyone makes mistakes (his was timed pretty badly though). Would never blame him for the entire loss, no way. I doubt his teamates do either. I heard he was inconsolable - I'm sure he was. No one would ever want to be in that position.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
No matter what though I blame him for the loss, if he held onto that ball we would of won simple as that

BUT

I'm not going to bag him for it cause everyone makes mistakes and the only difference was the timing.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
broncospwn said:
No matter what though I blame him for the loss, if he held onto that ball we would of won simple as that

BUT

I'm not going to bag him for it cause everyone makes mistakes and the only difference was the timing.

I agree with that too, he definitely lost us the match by dropping the ball, but no use rubbing salt in his wounds. He's still on our team next year and we want him to do well. No use crucifying the poor bloke...one thing I've learnt is people respond to positivity better than they respond to criticism.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
His mistake was the final nail in the coffin. He didn't lose us the match. He contributed to it. But then if Lockyer elected for the penalty goal, may not have happened.

If Ennis hadn't been a tard and let Smith slap the ball out of his hands from the tap, wouldn't have happened.

If Lockyer had've made 2 less than his 8 or so mistakes, it'd be fine.

There were so many players that contributed to the Broncos losing, poor Ashton just has the clanger that's up in lights. He'd feel bad enough already about it, it's not necessary to crucify him - and not fair to say "Ashton lost us the match".

M

mal

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
I disagree Coxy, I don't directly blame Ashton for losing us the entire match, we made alot of mistakes. But his was the most crucial we could sit here and say "If ennis didnt do this... etc" But Sims was in our 20, with the ball in his hand, 2-3 tackles to go, a minute on the clock. He royally screwed it up. But as I've said in other posts, we need to forgive, forget and move on.

But there's no need to publicly crucify him at all thats just too far. Just identify the problem and move on.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
I agree with Coxy, Ashton was not the reason we lost the match - there were a lot of contributing factors. Those facebook pages are deplorable (almost enough for me to actually join facebook so I can tell them what I think of their pages).

However I would also hate to think that he would get hung up on some facebook jerks bagging him. His team-mates all came out in support of him and that they don't blame him. If he's going to take notice of anyone, I think it would be them.

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
Does the Broncos website have an 'email a player' section? Someone should go on there and send Simsy a message of support from everyone on this forum.

M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I can't believe the loathing of Ashton Sims over the spilled ball on the weekend is still burning fresh. Surely people have moved on by now?

What happened to Ashton, despite his prior form, was nothing more than horrible luck and has happened to countless players before him, some of a much higher standing in the game aswell. It's simply just the way football works and there's no doubt that at certain points in the future it could very well be Ashton that aids in us getting a reversal in fortunes of Saturday night.

The over-the-top stuff from what I hope is a small element of our fanbase is very dissapointing. Ashton has had a rough, inconsistent year form wise, but who hasn't had a dud year? The thing that keeps me happy with him is that despite all that, he really does try his guts out - at times probably a bit too much. He always looks happy to be out there and its great to see a bloke have such pride in the jumper even if his personal form is lacking. I've said it plenty of times before, that's more than we can say of a few other players in recent years.

This bloke is no doubt much, much more shattered than most, if not all of us about how things unfolded on Saturday. And I personally feel that as a supporter - knowing that Ashton tries his best each week and as a relatively young player has the potential to see much better days - I should back him and wish him a more prosperous season next year. At least not resort to unnecessary harsh remarks and blaming of a single player. That's reserved for Stu Kelly.

I've got no doubts he'll come good and find consistency, and when he does I hope he's stil playing in our colours.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
mal said:
I disagree Coxy, I don't directly blame Ashton for losing us the entire match, we made alot of mistakes. But his was the most crucial we could sit here and say "If ennis didnt do this... etc" But Sims was in our 20, with the ball in his hand, 2-3 tackles to go, a minute on the clock. He royally screwed it up. But as I've said in other posts, we need to forgive, forget and move on.

But there's no need to publicly crucify him at all thats just too far. Just identify the problem and move on.

Hodges a) lost the ball in the play the ball and b) gave away a penalty for giving the touch judge a spray within his own 20 metre zone in the first half.

The fact Melbourne didn't score from it is irrelevant. His mistakes were WORSE than Sims, because both were completely avoidable.

A wet night/ball, two men in the tackle, it's going to slip out sometimes. It's just dreadfully unlucky that it happened to Sims in that situation.

King_Lockyer

King_Lockyer

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
Regardless of what happened through out the game, if Sims held onto that ball at the end we would have won no questions asked. That mistake cost us the game for sure.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
I could just as easily say that Ben Hannant putting the ball on Slater's legs instead of grounding it cost us the game for sure - we definitely would have won if he got that try.

Thing is that you cannot categorically point to any one thing that caused us to lose the game. Yes Sims was the last one to make a mistake but not the only one. Then again why didn't we have better defence to stop Inglis getting over for a try with less than a minute on the clock, the Storm still had a bit of work to do to get that try - maybe it was Kemp's fault we lost, he didn't tackle Inglis.

We could go on and on about who's fault it was, but at the end of the day a lot of players made mistakes at various points during the game and in end we lost in a heart-breaking way.

We shouldn't be blaming anyone (sure we can pass comment on areas that we see as weaknesses or needing improvement), but rather we should be re-affirming our support for the team. I doubt any of us feel more devasted by the loss than the players (especially Simsy).

King_Lockyer

King_Lockyer

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ok well both Sims and Clinton really need to work on their ball control. Those two seem to drop the ball in every game. It's so frustrating. Everytime the get the ball I find myself holding my breath coz I think they're gonna lose it.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I blame the video ref.

If there was no video ref, Hannant would have been awarded the try.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
King_Lockyer said:
Ok well both Sims and Clinton really need to work on their ball control. Those two seem to drop the ball in every game. It's so frustrating. Everytime the get the ball I find myself holding my breath coz I think they're gonna lose it.

I completely agree with you on this.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
PEople who say Sims lost us the game are ridiculous.

Paul Carige single handedly lost a semi-final agains the bulldogs. Search him on youtube. Sims on the other hand just dropped the ball at a crucial stage.

Chin up Ashton, you aren't the first nor will you be the last person to drpo the ball in a semi-final.

Ironbroncos

Ironbroncos

QCup Player
May 2, 2008
yeah I hold my breath when Clinton/Sims cart it up [icon_confu

as Bronco supporters we shouldnt have to cringe and freeze in those seconds they go for a hitup..esp. those 2..ball security for 09' icon_thumbs_u

L

last|soldier

NYC Player
Mar 6, 2008
I was defintely pissed at him and I think I've been a bit harsh on him elsewhere on this forum. We beat ourselves on Saturday night.

I will say this though: 90 seconds to go it was a poor decision to run it up the way he did. How about protecting the ball more, how about not trying to smash the defence? I think he deserves any criticism in that respect. After all he's a professional footballer: hold on to the ball in critical situations. Golden rule.

But no, he didn't lose us the game. It's just extremely lamentable to give possession by something so basic. Though, not as basic as not playing the ball properly, twice.

Unread

Active Now

• Organix
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • broncs30
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • porouian
  • Strop
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Dash
... and 38 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.