Your 2008 ladder predictions

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Do it however you want to do it - whether it's a full-on ladder list or just in groups. Me, I'm a pansy, so I'll do it in bunches.

Should be there or thereabouts:

Storm - Simply can't have them out of the equation, but as you'll see below I don't think they're going to have a year like the past two again.

Broncos - Goes without saying, I always believe our boys can be right in the mix.

Parramatta - As long as Tim Smith gets his act together on and off the field, these guys will be right in contention. They've got the cattle, all they have to do is learn how to really perform on the biggest stage. My early pick for the biggest threat to the premiership.

Others to challenge:

Roosters - God knows what could happen with this team this year. So many unknowns, but their forward pack is extremely strong and Anasta has been firing in the halves. So much will depend on the form of Minichiello and the other outside backs and their ability to score points.

Warriors - Would have had them higher and am still hesitant about placing them here, but the loss of McKinnon will severely hurt their attack. They MUST alter their plans to deal without him, or else it could be a loooong year.

Souths - Can't write them off, they showed a lot of grit throughout most of 2007. Am still not convinced of the team's depth should a couple of injuries strike (Wing and Asotasi in particular HAVE to stay injury free). Can't wait to see how hooker Isaac Luke's form continues - he's a great player to watch.

Sharks - This might surprise many, but the Sharkies are a real dark horse for a top 6 finish imo. Perennial underachievers, but the amount of games they have lost by 4 points or less in the past 2 seasons is just incredible. If they can learn to grind out the close games, they could really give the comp a shake.

Cowboys - Class all over the paddock. In saying that, though, it's likely Thurston will be out for the first 6-7 weeks of the comp. How they perform without him and his form in the competition when he returns will be the telling factors IMO.

Manly - Have lost a couple of quality players, but in saying that everyone was expecting them to fall after the loss of BK... and then they made the decider without him there! Big threats again, sadly.

About the Storm: I honestly don't regard them as the runaway premiership favourite. For the past four or so years, it's seemed so likely that a team will go back to back. They were saying it about the Tigers, Panthers, Bulldogs, Broncos etc. It all starts with the loss of a couple of big players after the GF. Followed up by a loss in the WCC in fairly poor conditions. Followed by teams lifting to beat you week in, week out. Followed by, in this case, a likely MAJOR representation around Origin time. If Melbourne happen to get struck down with a long-term injury or two, or even if a certain few young blokes have an indifferent year after the juggernaught of '07, things could get messy.

Well, that's my two cents. Without even thinking hard about it, that's nine teams who I think could win the comp this year, and in saying that it wouldn't surprise me one iota if any other side won it. I'm not as confident about the rest, but a clean bill of health for key players thrown in with winning 70% of the close matches could see any side finish in the top four.

It hurts the brain to attempt to put together a complete ladder with any kind of confidence at this stage of the year, so i'll group mine aswell. I'll fully expecting to do a 180 on most of my tips come Round 1, of course.

Should be finalists:

Cowboys
Eels*

In contention for finals:

Sea Eagles
Storm
Broncos
Warriors
Roosters
Sharks
Rabbitohs

Bolter chance:

Raiders
Knights

Good luck:

Bulldogs
Dragons
Titans
Tigers
Panthers

* prone to choking.

Heres how i see things...

Top 4 contenders:

Storm
Broncos
Cowboys
Eels
Manly

Others challenging for a top 8 spot:

Titans
Roosters
Souths
Warriors
Raiders (if they learn to win away from Home)
Sharks

Going for the dreaded SPOON!!

Panthers
Bulldogs
Knights
Dragons
Tigers

My tip for the Wooden Spoon: between the Knights and Panthers (sorry civo)

My GF tip: Broncos vrs Cowboys (i'm a tad bias here but i think both teams are a great chance of being there so long as they aren't on the same side of the draw in the finals.

Mind you tipping whats going to happen at the end of the season this early is fraught with danger. but for what is worth thats my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

Yes, in fact the Parramatta jersey has this above the number:
WarningChokingHazard250.jpg

My top 8 prediction

1. Cowboys (Burns 5/8, JT Halfback- on to a winner here IMO)
2. Storm
3. Broncos
4. Eels

5. Manly
6. Warriors
7. Roosters
8. Titans

9. Bulldogs (Think they will uncover alot of quality rookies - push for top 8)
10. Souths
11. Panthers
12. Dragons
13. Tigers
14. Raiders
15. Knights
16. Sharks

Top 8:
Eels
Storm
Cowboys
Souths
Broncos
Manly
Roosters
Titans

The rest:
Dragons
Sharks
Warriors
Panthers
Tigers
Raiders
Knights
Bulldogs

I feel that the top 5 or so teams (I suppose Souths are the bolter) are pretty much assured. However, after that it could be anyone, it's very hard to predict this year. Eels v Cowboys for the Grand Final.

1. Storm
2. Cowboys
3. Roosters
4. Manly
5. Parra
6. Titans
7. Cronulla (bolter)
8. Brisbane...because we always make it, but i think the off field stuff plus a lack of size and experience in the forwards will really set us back.

9. Warriors, they would have been about 4th for me if Wade was fit.

Spoon - A bun fight between Bulldogs, Dragons and Knights if any of these lose SBW, Gasnier or Buderus for an extended period they are gooorne.

The Rock said:
This will be the year Nathan Brown gets sacked.

lol I have made that very prediction about 3 or 4 years running the guy is a hack, he has let so much talent go and replaced it with very little.

Hate to say it but think the Roosters may be the ones who are meant to win in the big 100yr celebrations.Along with Manly and their millions they tend to have to throw around atm.These two teams,if all goes to script, are the teams to hold up the trophy comes seasons end. :evil:

Contrary to what others are saying I think the Cowboys may be a little unsettled with Murray leaving and also Origon taking players at crucial times as well as the test in the midst of it all.Have a feeling its not all happy in Cows country.

Would like to see Cronulla and Canberra do okay this year but it is looking more doubtful.

Hagan and Johns will have Parra firing and they do have a good side if they can get past the choking .Hagan may have the pill to stop that this year.

Storm are still to me the team to beat.Will have learnt a lot from last year when I believe they were well below their best.My first tipping(Chooks :arrow: Manly) was that of the NRL laws IMO. In reality ,for me it will be the 1Broncs 2Storm 3Warriors to fight it out (4Roosters)

The Rock said:
5. Roosters (With that forward pack, I just can't see them doing any worse than 5th.)

Not to nitpick, but that pack isn't even as good as the Bulldogs one over the past few years and they have struggled with it.

The biggest downside for the Roosters pack this year, even going past the fact that good individuals don't necessarily make a good engine room, is the new interchange rule. Some of their guys are going to have to REALLY improve fitness levels to make the cut.

1.Roosters
2.Eagles
3.Storm
4.Eels
5.Warriors
6.Broncos
7.Cowboys
8.Rabitos
9.Tigers
10.Raiders
11.Sharks
12.Bulldogs
13.Dragons
14.Titans
15.Panthers
16.Knights

The Rock said:
[quote="mick!":zospk5if][quote="The Rock":zospk5if]
5. Roosters (With that forward pack, I just can't see them doing any worse than 5th.)

Not to nitpick, but that pack isn't even as good as the Bulldogs one over the past few years and they have struggled with it.

The biggest downside for the Roosters pack this year, even going past the fact that good individuals don't necessarily make a good engine room, is the new interchange rule. Some of their guys are going to have to REALLY improve fitness levels to make the cut.[/quote:zospk5if]

There is a reason why they didn't excel at the Bulldogs. You cannot deny that Mason, O'Meley and Myles are true talents. I think under the right guidance they'll do well - Folks was (and still is) a nuffy.[/quote:zospk5if]

Possibly. But then again, Fittler hasn't proven himself to be anything yet.

The fact that Mason, O'Meley and Myles played in a pack which also contained the likes of Maitua, Andrew Ryan and Sonny Bill Williams and STILL failed to fire throughout the best part of three seasons tells me that there's something wrong with more than just the coach though, tbh.

The Dogs forwards have ALWAYS been overhyped (more under-rated packs like Brisbane have accounted for them easily) and I think the Roosters may well have bought bang into the hype. Time will tell.

I disagree mick! I think the dogs pack has been consistently excellent for 4 or 5 years they have held there own with everyone despite having crap hookers, bugger all halves and no decent backline at the club. I see the pack the dogs had as the main reason they were so competitive from about 2002 to 2007.

I was just talking to Mr Squiggle, and he said:

1. Titans
2. Raiders
3. Tigers
4. Penrith
5. Rabbitohs
6. Dragons
7. Bulldogs
8. Newcastle
9. Warriors
10. Roosters
11. Cronulla
12. Broncos
13. Cowboys
14. Manly
15. Eels
16. Storm

Upside down Miss Jane!

HURRY UP!!!

FCB BB AKA MB said:
I disagree mick! I think the dogs pack has been consistently excellent for 4 or 5 years they have held there own with everyone despite having crap hookers, bugger all halves and no decent backline at the club. I see the pack the dogs had as the main reason they were so competitive from about 2002 to 2007.

I actually think the Doggies pack was great... when facing the lesser teams. They had the tendancy to go missing often during the *big* matches and struggled with consistency on occasion.

But in saying that, this is more about the Roosters - they've snared Myles, Mason and O'Meley - all decent signings but they really need to be complemented by ball playing back rowers. If Tupou gets injured, they'll be in strife.

Manly
Roosters
Broncos
Storm
Cowboys
Tigers
Raiders
Souths
Warriors
Panthers
Sharks
Knights
Titans
Dogs
Eels
Dragons

1.Titans
2.Penrith
3.Dragons
4.Broncos
5.Cowboys
6.Tigers
7.Bulldogs
8.Rabbitohs
9.Raiders
10.Warriors
11.Newcastle
12.Roosters
13.Storm
14.Cronulla
15.Eels
16.Manly

Active Now

• Redux
  • Sproj
  • BroncsNBundy
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Wolfie
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • The True King
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Bish
  • Aldo
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.