Your 2013 team.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
That's we we'll have to disagree ....although I can see how one would be a little disappointed in Hannant, I just don't see those you're offering up to be any better. In fact Hannant is by far the better option to them.

But it's a position we should be looking at in the future. We need a bit of Starch up front. McGuire got run over the top of by a centre (Hurrell) on Saturday night

Geezus...!!
Hurrell may as well be a front rower though, the kid is massive.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Well........now I've gone and done it. I've questioned McGuire a little too.

May god have mercy on my soul ....... :tongue_smilie:

[video=youtube_share;AFa1-kciCb4]http://youtu.be/AFa1-kciCb4[/video]

Do you feel lucky Fourex?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
i think the broncos should watch souths play and try emulate them a little. sutton is not a ball player yet it works for them, why cant it work for norman? sure they have inglis. lets use hodges more effectively, he's so good one out imagine how good we'd go with players working with him more. i think prince can turn our attack around. hoffman well i dont know.. we just need some cohesion in attack. it just looks as though we dont really understand what the guy next to us is doing.

but trials are just that. trials. i'll keep the faith for now.

I don't mind the Souths comparison.

It would make sense to put Hodges there just as they've done with GI. The only reason I'm disagreeing to it is because I don't think Hodges's body/hammys could take it over the length of a full season. He'd have a lot more involvement. It's different to Inglis in that Inglis seems to be hitting his physical peak right now, where as Hodges peak has passed.

Sutton reminds me of Norman. Kinda awkward and geeky looking .......similar styles to the way they play. I used to bag John Sutton relentlessly for being the laziest footballer in the comp. I don't think Norman is like that, but given the right amount of time in the NRL and the right players around him, the right focus on his game, I'm hoping he hits his straps like Sutton has ......

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
When Norman gets compared to Sutton and looses, it's time to start worrying! :scared:
Still think the only position he can really make his own, and even star at, is fullback. He could make an okay centre too I guess...

As to the prop discussion, I think we're pretty well served with Hannant, McGuire, Dodds, Anderson and the likes of Hala, Molo and Timu lurking around as well.
Yes, Hannant needs to be more aggressive in his hit-ups, but he is still the premier prop at the Broncos, and way ahead of the rest except McGuire. At his best he can be top 5 like BP said, and there is no reason why he can't return to his best!

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
It would make sense to put Hodges there just as they've done with GI. The only reason I'm disagreeing to it is because I don't think Hodges's body/hammys could take it over the length of a full season. He'd have a lot more involvement. It's different to Inglis in that Inglis seems to be hitting his physical peak right now, where as Hodges peak has passed.

oh wasnt in any way saying hodges would be an equal to GI. GI is obviously on another level. and i dont even mean hodges would have to be fullback. he goes looking for the ball when he wants it now. dummy half runs/etc. why not get him to go looking for the ball anywhere on the park when we're on the attack - maybe a few loosely structured set plays. he is quite clearly our best weapon but everything he does seems to be one out. he breaks tackles with ease though and we need to use this to our advantage. i mentioned something similar a few days ago in that i think there is opportunity to think outside the box a little with the squad we've got now. plenty of skillful guys. yet we seem set to just stick to the same old go nowhere routine.

Last edited:
M

Matey

Banned User
Feb 25, 2013
After re-watching last season during the holidays. I think it's time for a fresh start. We aren't going to trouble many sides with the way we have been playing.
This is the team I have came up with.

1. Bond
2. Kemp
3. Hoffman
4. Hodges
5. Berryman
6. Hunt
7. Prince
8. McGuire
9. Baptiste
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Wallace
15. Gillett
16. Reed
17. Hala

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
My latest rethink:

1. Norman/Bond - It has been said by many that this team really needs a playmaker in this position, I also think FB is Norman's best position (I wish they would hurry up and realise he's not a half). I haven't seen enough of bond in the trials but if he could bring his Q cup form to the NRL he would be amazing for us.
2. Kemp - We need speed on the wings and going by reports from the trials he has been in some pretty great form. Just replay him tapes from 2008 over and over and over.
3. Hoffman - As I said earlier I think Hoffman would make a great centre, it suits his hard running style and doesnt require the playmaking ability like FB does. At the moment I can't find a place for Reed in the team.
4. Hodges - Our best weapon in the backline, if I thought his body was up to it I would place him at FB
5. Maranta - I think he has a way to go but has been solid and seems to have a great attitude, he's more broncos than the broncos
6. Wallace/Hunt - I think Wallace needs to go to 6 and let prince run the show. I wouldnt mind hunt being given a proper crack too.
7. Prince - He is our best half by a looooooonnnnnngggggg way. If Hook puts in the team sheet and Prince isn't there then he needs to be told to pack his s*** and go.
8. Hannant - I'm not going to even comment on this
9. Macca
10. McGuire - He and Hannant have to be our starting props, there is daylight between them and the rest of the pack
11. Glenn - Obviously
12. Thaiday - He needs to find form again and quick
13. Parker - Still as solid as ever. To be honest I could see him becoming part of the prop rotation at some point, in which case Stagg would come into lock.

14. Wallace/hunt - depending who is at 6, both could handle the interchange role, to be honest I can see the sense in what some people are saying about Wallace taking on this role. In either case I would love to see what they tried a few times last year again, when hunt came on at the same time as macca, wallace and norman... Late in the game I think we got some real benefit from that.
15. Gillett - Really looks to be getting back to top form again (I hope so because we really need him to be). He is an impact weapon off the bench
16. Stagg - Needs to be in the team. I think we are a quality prop short of a good rotation at the moment, what I would like to see is Thaiday or parker pushed into prop when stagg comes on (essentially making him a 'prop interchange').
17. Sanderson/Hala/Dodds/Molo/Lui/In form prop - I think the last prop is wide open and needs to go to who ever is in form.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
oh wasnt in any way saying hodges would be an equal to GI. GI is obviously on another level. and i dont even mean hodges would have to be fullback. he goes looking for the ball when he wants it now. dummy half runs/etc. why not get him to go looking for the ball anywhere on the park when we're on the attack - maybe a few loosely structured set plays. he is quite clearly our best weapon but everything he does seems to be one out. he breaks tackles with ease though and we need to use this to our advantage. i mentioned something similar a few days ago in that i think there is opportunity to think outside the box a little with the squad we've got now. plenty of skillful guys. yet we seem set to just stick to the same old go nowhere routine.

Agree with you .......I was filthy on the weekend that he makes a 50m break and neither the 2 wingers or the fullback or ANYBODY was with him.(maybe maranta was there, but hardly positioned himself to be of any use)

One of several scoring opportunities missed.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
or the fullback or ANYBODY was with him.

this is what shites me about hoffman. he's never anywhere. look at any of the good fullbacks and they're always following the play. there for any opportunity. wheres hoffman go? whats he doing?

R

Raining_Blood

Feb 25, 2013
1. Bond
2. Maranta
3. Kahu
4. Hodges
5. Berryman
6. Hunt
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. MaGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillette
15. Hala
16. Gibb
17 . Dodds

I can't find room for Wallace
I think Ben Hunt has shown that he definitely has more attacking skill than Wallace, And I think he has been poorly mistreated. I would hate to see him go, but then again, if he is just being used as a sub, I hope he decides to move to another club to play halfback.
Norman needs more time in QCup
Hoffman doesn't break the line, and runs poor angles that leaves his outside men no room to move. Although he is a safe option, I think we really need to score points, Joe Bond can create more opportunities. Also rarely does he support players, Hodges made a clean line break, and Hoffman was no where to be seen as pointed out earlier. Barba and Slater would've been there to support, Bond did it time and time again for Redcliffe.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
My latest rethink:

1. Norman/Bond - It has been said by many that this team really needs a playmaker in this position, I also think FB is Norman's best position (I wish they would hurry up and realise he's not a half). I haven't seen enough of bond in the trials but if he could bring his Q cup form to the NRL he would be amazing for us.
2. Kemp - We need speed on the wings and going by reports from the trials he has been in some pretty great form. Just replay him tapes from 2008 over and over and over.
3. Hoffman - As I said earlier I think Hoffman would make a great centre, it suits his hard running style and doesnt require the playmaking ability like FB does. At the moment I can't find a place for Reed in the team.
4. Hodges - Our best weapon in the backline, if I thought his body was up to it I would place him at FB
5. Maranta - I think he has a way to go but has been solid and seems to have a great attitude, he's more broncos than the broncos
6. Wallace/Hunt - I think Wallace needs to go to 6 and let prince run the show. I wouldnt mind hunt being given a proper crack too.
7. Prince - He is our best half by a looooooonnnnnngggggg way. If Hook puts in the team sheet and Prince isn't there then he needs to be told to pack his s*** and go.
8. Hannant - I'm not going to even comment on this
9. Macca
10. McGuire - He and Hannant have to be our starting props, there is daylight between them and the rest of the pack
11. Glenn - Obviously
12. Thaiday - He needs to find form again and quick
13. Parker - Still as solid as ever. To be honest I could see him becoming part of the prop rotation at some point, in which case Stagg would come into lock.

14. Wallace/hunt - depending who is at 6, both could handle the interchange role, to be honest I can see the sense in what some people are saying about Wallace taking on this role. In either case I would love to see what they tried a few times last year again, when hunt came on at the same time as macca, wallace and norman... Late in the game I think we got some real benefit from that.
15. Gillett - Really looks to be getting back to top form again (I hope so because we really need him to be). He is an impact weapon off the bench
16. Stagg - Needs to be in the team. I think we are a quality prop short of a good rotation at the moment, what I would like to see is Thaiday or parker pushed into prop when stagg comes on (essentially making him a 'prop interchange').
17. Sanderson/Hala/Dodds/Molo/Lui/In form prop - I think the last prop is wide open and needs to go to who ever is in form.
I like this, I like this a lot actually!

SSS

SSS

NYC Player
Mar 11, 2008
If it was my call, my round 1 team would look like this. I don't expect hooks to look the same...lol

1. Maranta
2. Reed
3. Kahu
4. Hodges
5. Kemp
6. Norman
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Hunt
15. Thaiday
16. Stagg
17. Dodds

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.