Your Favourite Darren Lockyer Moment

I saw a picture of him today and I was sad and happy. I sometimes can't believe that someone that good not only existed, but he played for the Broncos. He should just come back.

One of my favourite memories is a bit of an obscure one.

I doubt there is a video of it but it was in 1998 when we played the Adelaide Rams - I think it was their home ground. Lockyer scored a brilliant length of the field try. We romped it home that day but his try really stood out. The other moment in that game was Matt Daylight was in a similar position to score and Lockyer ran him down in a great foot race. Man, Lockyer had some serious speed during his fullback days.

For Australia - BMan nailed it. The 2004 tri-nations final. You can have your Andrew Johns and the NSW-media bias towards his greatness. I've never seen a more dominant half of football by one player than in that game. Particularily not under the same pressure cooker environment and circumstances.

For Qld - the 2006 intercept that changed everything.

For the Broncos - hard to go past the enormity, the emotion, the poignancy, the bittersweet theatre of his last ever touch of the ball for the Broncos.

Don't make me choose, there are far too many special moments from this champion, for example

The field goal he kicked against the Dragons in the 2011 finals, with a broken cheekbone

The 2 poster field goal against the titans.

The pin point kick he put in for Kemp to score and beat the Eels at the death.

His 2004 tri-nations final performance against England. One of the most complete performances I've ever seen from a half.

His last minute try against NSW to win the 2006 origin series and stop NSW from winning 4 straight series.

His extra time try against NZ in the 2006 four nations final to win the game for Australia.

And who could forget him lifting the NRL trophy above his head after we beat those cheating pricks in the 2006 decider to send another champion out on a winning note.

And there are many many more special moments from this absolute legend of the game

Last edited:
DOES NOT get any better than that !!!

And the finish from Kempy...admittedly it was Eric Grothe and Joel Reddy on the cover defence but still...

Maranta would have stepped inside when he caught the ball.

It's not my favourite. In fact far from it. But the most prominent memory of him is him howling on his knees after the Storm semi in '08. It would have been emotive enough for any player. But for Lockyer, who is so composed, so controlled, it was emphatic.

It never seems to be replayed anytime, and I've only watched it once when it was played but the 1998 gf qualifier against the roosters at the old ANZ stadium sticks in my mind. From memory he scored 2 maybe 3 tries, and generally just carved the roosters that day. Would be great if someone has highlights that they could post.

I think this thread should be renamed to "Great Darren Lockyer Moments"

It's difficult to choose a favorite. There were so many of them.

One of my best memories of Lockyer are his right side plays with Hodges, Hunt and even Thaiday.

Some great tries were produced because our right side combinations.

And his try against the Bulldogs in that famous preliminary final. His footwork to get through the defense and him backing up Carroll after passing it to him. Great stuff.

Last edited:
I think this thread should be renamed to "Great Darren Lockyer Moments"

It's difficult to choose a favorite. There were so many of them.

One of my best memories of Lockyer are his right side plays with Hodges, Hunt and even Thaiday.

Some great tries were produced because our right side combinations.

And his try against the Bulldogs in that famous preliminary final. His footwork to get through the defense and him backing up Carroll after passing it to him. Great stuff.

I remember watching a game where I think it was Folau scored after a set of passes from Locky to Hunt to Hodges to Folau. The commentators started naming them after car manufacturers saying "The BMW passes to the Mercedes-Benz who passes to the Ferrarri who then passes to the Lamborghini"

Off topic but was funny to watch!

It never seems to be replayed anytime, and I've only watched it once when it was played but the 1998 gf qualifier against the roosters at the old ANZ stadium sticks in my mind. From memory he scored 2 maybe 3 tries, and generally just carved the roosters that day. Would be great if someone has highlights that they could post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember watching a game where I think it was Folau scored after a set of passes from Locky to Hunt to Hodges to Folau. The commentators started naming them after car manufacturers saying "The BMW passes to the Mercedes-Benz who passes to the Ferrarri who then passes to the Lamborghini"

Off topic but was funny to watch!

I'm pretty sure that was against the Eels at Suncorp in 2009.

Lockyer, Hunt, Hodges and Folau had a field day on that right side.

A few more favourite memories of mine...I'm mainly posting the 'little' moments in Locky's career which I liked. I figured his clutch or match-winning plays would get plenty of love and attention on this thread. You may remember the following:

In Game One of State of Origin 2003, Lockyer made a superb tackle on Mick de Vere. De Vere was in open space and Lockyer came across and made an awesome tackle and barrelled him into touch. The Maroons didn't win that game but it was a huge moment.

In the State of Origin decider of 2002, Lockyer slid along the ground and scooped up the ball one-handed. Paul Vautin, in his commentary, said it was "like Spider-Man" while Sterlo said it was "Go go Gadget." It was a good moment as the Blues were right on our line then.

His try saving tackle on Roosters winger Shannon Hegarty early in the 2000 Grand Final is a forgotten play of his tremendous performance in that grand final.

As good as Luke Phillips was that afternoon, I thought that was by far the best try saving tackle and considering everything else he was involved in, Lockyer well and truly deserved the 2000 CC.

Phillips tends to get a lot of sympathy and he did come up with a number of good plays but having watched the game recently, if he hadn't made most of those tackles, especially by today's standards, he'd be criticised like he was Paul Carige.

As good as Luke Phillips was that afternoon, I thought that was by far the best try saving tackle and considering everything else he was involved in, Lockyer well and truly deserved the 2000 CC.

Phillips tends to get a lot of sympathy and he did come up with a number of good plays but having watched the game recently, if he hadn't made most of those tackles, especially by today's standards, he'd be criticised like he was Paul Carige.

It was a great tackle but I thought Phillips' try saver on Sailor was the best one. He was isolated and it was pretty much one on one stuff whilst Lockyer did have support around him that helped force the ball from Hegarty.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.