Your Favourite Darren Lockyer Moment

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm feeling really glum about the Broncos at the moment, so I want to cheer myself up and remember the good times.

Darren Lockyer was always my favourite player. I miss watching this guy play so much. He was magnificent. There was an understated way he went about his business on the field. He was just so elegant. Sigh.

So I want to know - what was your single favourite Darren Lockyer moment for the Broncos? If you can find a clip of it, that would be even better.

Let's go!

So many great games, the Eels game from 2008, the Bears game in 1998 after a disappointing game for Australia, one stands out to mind, doesn't get a lot of mentions, Broncos vs Roosters Qualifying final against the Roosters, he scored 3 tries showing great footwork in one particular, setup a try for Darren Smith and kicked a bomb while running that was perfectly placed for Michael Devere to score under the post untouched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, there's a gazillion of them... the winning field goal in his last NRL game, the game against Parra (see video above), the Titans clutch play that results in Eastwood's try, the Titans field goal that hits both posts, the pick-up of that wayward pass from Hodgson in Origin 2006, or the one on one tackle of DeVere in Origin 2003:

oh this thread made my just spend an hour on youtube looking at best of lockyer clips. looking back now i really did take him for granted. maybe were one eyed but watching the way he controlled the game was just insane. and by far the best clutch player i think nrl has ever had.

kinda depressing knowing we will never get to see the great man play again but he truly was a legend. and honestlty i still think he was a better all around player then joey. ( although joey did have more tricks and flashyness up his sleeve)

Mine is actually one I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for.

5:41. It's overtime. We're in the Titans half, all squared up. Locky receives the ball on the fifth, dummies a field goal then runs the ball down the centre, completely catching the Tits defence off guard and putting Eastwood over for the game winning try. It is the single greatest bit of football I have ever seen from any player.

It's not my favourite ever moment of his, but that kick for Kemp against the Raiders (in the above video at 3:02) was one of my highlights of the season in 2008. Just phenomenal vision and execution.

I remember a moment that made realize his greatness but I have no idea where or when it happened. It was Locky fielding a big kick on the full in the in goal adjacent the goal posts( it was probably before the 'on the full' rule and when he was fullback ) with a tackler just about to smash him. He took the ball in one arm simultaneously dropping under the tackle and then got out of Dodge. Enormous poise under massive pressure and done with graceful ease.....

Too many to have just one favourite but there were three occasions (all for Australia) that left me walking away shaking my head at how good he was. (Sorry for the lack of footage, just going off memeory).

1. I think it was his first series as 5/8 for Australia over in England. I think it was the final of the Tri-Nations and they were playing England. I remember Bob Fulton calling it the best 40 mins he had ever seen by an Australian player. I remember one play though where Hindy offloaded in a tackle to Locky and he ran 50-odd metres to burn the fullback off and score an awesome try. The way he beat the fullback was sublime speed. From memory, Australia were up by 40 at half time and Locky had a hand in just about every try.

2. The second one was where he was still fullback for Australia and it might of been his first away series (again in England on a Roo tour) as captain with Chris Anderson as coach. Again, it was pretty much the last play of the game to win the series and he set up a great try for Australia ( I think it was Ricketson that scored). The ball went through about a thousand set of hands with Locky handling the ball about 990 different times during the movement. Great rugby league.

3. The last one was where Locky backed up a break by Thurston against the Kiwis to score a try that won the series for Australia. The try was all Thurston, but the way Locky sprinted from nowhere when everyone was spent to put himself into a position to take the pass from Thurston to score was unbelievable. Just highlighted what a champion he was to put in the effort at that stage of the match. If he hadn't put the big ones in, Australia wouldn't have scored and won the match.

I have a lot of favourite Lockyer memories but i'll narrow it down to the top 5

5. The field goal in the 2006 decider after a barnstorming charge from Webcke that nailed the Storm and captured the premiership. Melbourne's tears were beautiful.

4. The cross kick to Denan Kemp who scored his 4th try of the game and won us the game on the last play. Gus's commentary has always stayed in my head. "Darren Lockyer you are a footballing genius"

3. Lifting the trophy with Shane Webcke after winning the 2006 grand final

2. The Kangaroo tour of 2003. Lockyer lead an injury raved Aussie team which had just lost 30-16 to New Zealand on the way to the UK into battle in a 3 test series with Great Britain. Australia won the series 3-0 but we had to come from behind to win each test and score a try or a goal in the dying minutes to win as well. Lockyer's guidance and leadership was exceptional throughout the series as he scored the winner in the 1st test and played an instrumental role in the miracle in the 3rd. @Aldo ; Yes Luke Ricketson score the try that won the 3rd test.

Just for some trivia here are some of the players who went on this tour and were never sighted again in the test arena. Phil Bailey, Shannon Hegarty, Richard Villasanti and Joel Clinton.

1. The tri-series final in 2004. We had just lost to the poms in the week before the final and Andy Farrell had been named the golden boot winner and Britain had finished on the top of the table and were quite confident and upbeat about defeating Australia. Lockyer and the Australian team played quite possible the greatest half of footy I've ever seen and destroyed the Poms completely and we went into halftime ahead 38-0 and ended up winning 44-4 and stunned a very pro-English crowd and media.

The 2004 Final

The 2003 Kangaroo tour

[MENTION=1976]Nashy[/MENTION] nailed it . Kick for Kemp. Pure genius of execution.

Whenever Lockyer would take a kick, swerve and beat the first defender usually leading to a nice 20m or so run.

Generally whenever the defence would rush Lockyer on the last, Lockyer swerves goes wide and Brisbane score or go close enough to it. Especially whenever they'd go to the Harvey Norman replay and Sterlo would go on and on about how you never rush Lockyer on the last.

Lockyer was a great five eigth but as a fullback he was amazing.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • Fitzy
  • mitch222
  • Mister Wright
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • thenry
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wild Horse
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LittleDavey
  • Brotherdu
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Dash
  • MrMoore
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.