Your Favourite Darren Lockyer Moment

10 years to the day since he last touched a footy for the Broncs - i miss him.

It’s a shame but what a perfect finish for him. A field goal with a broken cheek in a finals match.

Nothing could some the guy up more and it’s probably my favourite Lockyer moment.

The most beautiful worm burner I’ve ever seen!

It’s a shame but what a perfect finish for him. A field goal with a broken cheek in a finals match.

Nothing could some the guy up more and it’s probably my favourite Lockyer moment.
Bitter sweet for sure.

I will never forgive Beale. I know it's petty and it wasn't his fault and I feel sorry for the bloke but I just can't! Reckon we would have won it that year with Locky on deck.
Lockyer got in Beale’s way. It was always Besle’s to catch, and it was a great take.

Lockyer got in Beale’s way. It was always Besle’s to catch, and it was a great take.

Billy slater based his game off Locky, tell me I’m wrong.
Billy Slater was a runner with zero ball playing... he's basically Teddy.

However absolutely every fullback must now have some sort of ball playing because of Lockyer.

The Pongas, Walshes, etc. are the next closest to Darren, because they actually have a bullet cut-out ball that can cut out 2-3 players.... Billy never did that.

Darren changed the way fullbacks play not the "Victorian" with an over sized boat

However absolutely every fullback must now have some sort of ball playing because of Lockyer.

The Pongas, Walshes, etc. are the next closest to Darren, because they actually have a bullet cut-out ball that can cut out 2-3 players.... Billy never did that.

Darren changed the way fullbacks play not the "Victorian" with an over sized boat
Bill's ball playing got a lot better towards the back end of his career - but yeah probably a deceptive short ball more so than the cut out as you said.

Bill's ball playing got a lot better towards the back end of his career - but yeah probably a deceptive short ball more so than the cut out as you said.
Billy's ball playing is comparable to Cronk's ball playing as a half.

The Cody's, Johns, etc. of the world have the killer cut out ball in their repertoire... Cronk did not.

Storm's attacking structure for the last 15yr has been about exploiting overlaps and picking the right pass, but even now they dont have a player that can nail the long bullet cut-out pass.

Billy could finish a 2v1 or a 3v2, but he couldn't hit the 3rd or 4th runner like Darren could... but Lockyer also had the short ball if he wanted it, running and support game and also became the primary long kicker from fullback.

He is the GOAT fullback that all other fullbacks now try to become

Yes, agree, hence me saying he based his game off locky, the goat.

No! **** this thread, **** living in the past....greener pastures ahead

If lockyer stayed at fullback Slater wouldn't have got within a mile of being the QLD or Australian fullback. Slater dislodged hunt but it was far from a settled spot when hunt made the worst career decision I can remember in my time (joining afl), and hunt was great but he was 10 levels below Lockyer. Hunt may have even lost his spot from injury I thought? (Could be wrong there).
People forget lockyer was an even better fullback then a 5/8th. He practically did the same level of immortal-like ball playing but was an excellent support player and kick returner. He was also a great defensive organiser from all reports, with Slater and Smith crediting him multiple times in the media with teaching them how to read the game early in the dynasty.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • cento
  • Alec
  • Broncorob
  • Hurrijo
  • Rookie Alan
  • Broncs1459
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.