Your favourite Origin player!

Hammoz, just quickly, when did Lockyer control origin?
Or are we talking 2001?
He hasn't dominated at 6 in the origin arena imo. The closest was his MOTM performance in 06 game two. (Excellent kicking game that won him the MOTM imo)

Thurston has dominated origin just as much as lockyer in recent years imo

Def in recent years. But Lockyer has been a star at that level since he debuted in 1998. He's been involved in 4 series wins, and 2 series draws (which were really Queensland wins). And that in an era where NSW has had a fair bit of dominance with the likes of Johns and Fittler.

Outstanding.

Blondie said:
Brad Fittler
I loved watching him cry back in 02 (???) when he "retired" the first time...and lost the series. That was one of my better memories of Origin 8-) [icon_evillaugh

Hammoz said:
There are scores of QLD Origin players I love; Lockyer, Langer, Meninga, Miles, Bella, Gillmeister, Larson, Lindner, Backo, Conescu, Shearer, Webcke, Civo, Price, Jackson, Moore, Renouf, Belcher, Steve Walters, Kev Walters, Tallis, Gee, the list goes on and on and that is no disrespect to the players not listed.

There is only two NSW players I liked; Sterling and Pearce.

There are many NSW players I begrudgingly respected; Elias, Roach, Sironin, Stuart, Daley, O'Connor, Johns (the brother that actually had skill), Jack, Mortimer.

However, there is still only one who stands head and shoulders above the rest, who epitomises what Origin means; The King.

He was (and still is to an extent) Origin;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NottgZJ ... re=related

That is what the QLD public thought of his greatness, nobody sends off the King without a good reason or else! Also, think of his nickname, which the players actually called him...The King. Utmost respect by all who played with and against him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrkSX0I6O4

Watch how he comes in flying, then heads straight to the ref! Knew how to get what he wanted.(P.S. Peter Jackson what a player R.I.P.)

Only the true greats control Origin; Lockyer, Lewis, Langer, Sterling, Fittler to an extent. Nobody else has done it, except Andrew Johns, in one game ever.

The headon view shows the King looking to kill Geyer.who deserved in that game alone

Coxy said:
Def in recent years. But Lockyer has been a star at that level since he debuted in 1998. He's been involved in 4 series wins, and 2 series draws (which were really Queensland wins). And that in an era where NSW has had a fair bit of dominance with the likes of Johns and Fittler.

Outstanding.

Yup, itll take a few more years for thurston to be looked on the same way, tho i think it will happen.

Oh don't get me wrong - Locky is the greatest hands down but I wouldn't say he dominated an origin match per say. I reckon it's near impossible to win/dominate a game from Fullback but Lockyer was unbelievable in the 2001 series from Fullback. He was great in 2003 as well actually. I just think it's hard to win games from FB but he has on many occasions.

I thought his 01/02/03 were AWESOME. As we all know he changed his game at 6, especially with his age as well - critical in the 06/07 series, wouldn't say dominant.

Lockyer has had an amazing career I must say. How good is it we're going to tell our kids we actually saw him play? Amazing.

mrslong said:
Blondie said:
Brad Fittler
I loved watching him cry back in 02 (???) when he "retired" the first time...and lost the series. That was one of my better memories of Origin 8-) [icon_evillaugh

And they said we didnt have any passion!!!!!

lockyer47 said:
I reckon it's near impossible to win/dominate a game from Fullback

Slater and Hayne seem to have no issue doing it.

I always enjoyed watching Casey McGuire play origin. It gave me hope that I could one day play for QLD too

OXY-351 said:
lockyer47 said:

Hayne has played wing in all his Origin appearances.

And while Slater has been in the right place at the right time in Origin, he's never dominated a game, not the way Lockyer did in his prime at fullback. If you were to pick an all time combined Origin team it'd definitely have:

1. Lockyer

6. Lewis
7. Langer

Tooooo many Origin greats to choose from. I can narrow it down to these few...

Lewis
Langer
Shearer
Sing
Locky

Coxy said:
OXY-351 said:
lockyer47 said:

Hayne has played wing in all his Origin appearances.

And while Slater has been in the right place at the right time in Origin, he's never dominated a game, not the way Lockyer did in his prime at fullback.

I wasn't aware the original comment was limited to origin games, but I totally agree that neither of them (even if Hayne had been playing FB at origin level) have dominated origin games to the level Lockyer did at FB. I actually disagree with the original comment though too. I think it's possible to dominate a game from the back if you are that type of player.

Fair point, I just took it as meaning Origin.

Yes, Hayne and Slater have dominated club games from fullback, as has Matt Bowen, Brett Mullins (1995 anybody?), hell, even Karmichael Hunt.

Coxy said:
Yes, Hayne and Slater have dominated club games from fullback, as has Matt Bowen, Brett Mullins (1995 anybody?), hell, even Karmichael Hunt.

What about the Mullins performance in 1994 against Newcastle?? Has there ever been a better, more dominant performance than a fullback?

Yeah, was trying to find that to no avail. (Not that I searched real hard :P)

Blondie said:
mrslong said:
Blondie said:
Brad Fittler

And they said we didnt have any passion!!!!!

Correction.

They say; "NSW didn't and still don't have any passion"

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • leon.bott
  • MrMoore
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Jazza
  • Mark H
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosMan
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • Santa
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • Xzei
  • jd87
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.