Your favourite Origin player!

The Rock said:
Lockyer47, some of your comments baffle me. How CAN'T a fullback dominate a game from Fullback?

Coxy just listed some of the players that have regularly done it in the past. I'll add Minicheillo to that list.

I beg to differ - Are you talking about the mini games when Johns was 7 though?

I know where you guys are coming from but I haven't seen a fullback dominate like Johns in 05 game 2, or Lewis/Langer in the 89 game 1 sort of performances.

Put it this way, I thought Locky played excellent in game 2 of 2001, one of his usual Lockyer-ish performances, yet we got beat and we got beat convincingly. I just think it's hard to 'win' and 'dominate' a game from the FB position. If you know what I mean.

How about 06 when we beat the knights 50-6. Kurt Gidley played exceptionally well! probably a 8/10 performance if not higher - yet his team got beat 50-6. I may have chosen my words wrong Rock, but you get where I'm coming from yeh?

Well games that halfbacks dominate only happen when their pack dominates.

It's not possible for 1 player to dominate their opposition if the other 12 blokes on the field aren't doing their job well.

Tate - I loved watching Tatey, he'd have his rocks and diamonds moments but I remember him tackling himself and NSW to a standstill and big hits, and his passion - just watch him through a game and he loves it - yelling and firing up and generally carrying on like a heroic queenslander - plus once he's get in the open he was quicksilver - personal fave

^
You have to love his 2006 game 3 try. Was that one of the greatest ever tries or what?! Epic try, epic try.

That's what I enjoyed about Tate - he always knew how to score a good try.

His best two were in the International arena.

Tri Nations Game 1 2005 vs. New Zealand
Everybody was skeptical of Tate's selection yet after his 90 metre effort where he managed to beat 3-4 players before running around the entire side to score left them eating their words. Sadly Australia still went down in a stunning upset.

Tri Nations Game 6 2006 vs. Great Britain at Suncorp
Britain decided to have one last roll of the dice but it came up trumps when Nathan Hindmarsh intercepted the ball before finding Smith, who found Lockyer who races 20-30m upfield only to find Karmichael Hunt, who places a hail mary kick for the corner to find Tate who beats one Brit to score. Sensational try and the funny/sad thing was I'd left the Stadium early...

Anyways favourite Origin players?

This Queensland side is full of them!

Billy Slater - Exploded onto the scene in 2004 before scoring one of the many classic Origin tries in his second ever game. Was unfairly dropped by selectors for Matt Bowen at fullback and didn't see Origin football until 2008 where he had a slow start before combining with Thurston to seal the series. His performance in Game 1 of the 2009 series was sensational.

Greg Inglis - He seriously makes everything look so easy out on the field. I've only seen him play one bad game in the Maroons jersey and he sure as hell made up for it in the next game. His performance in Game 2 of the 2008 series was one of the best I've ever seen from a centre - just incredible stuff.

Darren Lockyer - His name transcends the need for description but for the sake of flattery I'll go ahead. Lockyer's always been a fantastic participant at Origin level with a number of fantastic moments and not-so moments (State of Origin Game 3's 2002 No Try Decision comes to mind). But in all honesty, there's no player in the Queensland side at the moment who plays as big a role as Locky as his influence more often than not has allowed us to win a number of Origin games.

Johnathan Thurston - Was our best kept secret in 2006 - seriously I couldn't believe how little response he got after his fantastic performances in Games 2 and 3; JT manages to steer Queensland around the paddock as well as any halfback at this level. Plays with a lot of passion and intensity and with the skill set to back it up, he's among many a SoO favourite.

Steve Price - He just keeps getting better with age big Pricey's always giving it to the Blues whether it's when he carts the ball up like a steam engine or targets them in defence you know his efforts will be remembered within the annals of Rugby League history.

Petero Civoniceiva - Nicest guy in League and yet he's still one of the toughest State of Origin players. Just keeps carting the ball up and like Price keeps improving with age.

Nate Myles - Rarely plays well for the Roosters and seems to save himself for Queensland - what's there to hate? ...except for his off-field mis-hap.

Karmichael Hunt - Who can forget his 07/08 performances? Seems to find another gear at this level.

Michael Crocker - Is always in the thick of it, love it...although he did irritate me in Game 2 this year.

Past Greats:
Trevor Gillmeister
Chris Close
Peter Jackson
Gary Larson
Paul Vautin
Mark Coyne - For scoring that try you beauty!
Mat Rogers - Was a hero in 99 (first ever taste of Rugby League for moi)
Martin Lang - For his rock em sock em head action.
Paul Bowman - Loved his effort in Game 1 2003, still tackling people despite being on one leg.
Michael De Vere - May of been a Blue, but how could you hate the chief?
Greg Bird - For being the next Wally Lewis....LOL!
Lote Tuqiri - Was there a better winger in 01/02?
Adam Mogg - Adam Who? Adam Mogg bitchez.
Clinton Schifcofske - How good was his performance in his second and last Origin game?
Tonie Carroll - Scored the winner in Game 1 98 and had the decency to wack Brett White - shows him for talking smack about the Broncos.

^^^ how could you leave out Lewis, Langer and Webcke out of your list of past greats

Along with the likes of Meninga and co. they go without saying or had been mentioned already.

I hate to be boring. ;-)

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • RolledOates
  • jd87
  • Midean
  • Gray
  • mrslong
  • GCBRONCO
  • BooKhaki
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • westy316
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • MrRobot
  • BroncosMan
  • Skathen
  • Astro
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Painin the Haas
  • Jazza
... and 60 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.