Your favourite Origin player!

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
OK - I know a lot of you oldies are going to say the King. Since I was 3 years old or there abouts when he dominated in the late 80s. (Which I've seen whole footage of - but it's totally taken out of context) But I'm still interested. Some of you might have loved Langer or Meninga. Btw, Langer is god. He's twice the player when he had hair. Wow.

Anyway, obviously being born in the 80s I'd have to say my favourite origin player is Gordon Tallis! So many great origin memories of him. Great barn storming tries and some heated clashes with Billy. I'll never forget the "Just GO!". The hodgeson tackle. The 02 game 3 Spray.

Not an Origin 'great' perhaps but still provided some great stuff in his era - which I believe was the best out of my decade or so of rugby league. I definitely miss him in the Origin arena.

Cue Steve Price jizzfest.

Webcke was my favorite origin players. wasn't the most flashy player going around, but always did the hard yards and put in 100%. he went as hard in the last minute as he did in the first minute regardless of whether we were winning by 30 or losing by 30.

Alfie.

His comeback from England...sensational!

So many great players to choose from!

But for the sheer impact on results factor (I've heard it said the 80's tally would have been reversed had he been on the other side) it has to be THE KING. If one is old enough, one only has to remember how everyone said when he retired "he IS State of Origin - it will never be the same without him".

Alfie - close second - due to his genius, longevity, ability to pluck victory from the jaws of defeat in the closing minutes, and utter personification of the pride of Qld. And of course coming back from England to cut the Blues to shreds in 01 when we had no-one else.

Too many names to mention - close third. One of those is Price. Another is Civo. Another is Meninga. Another is Lockyer. Another is Thurston. Another is Belcher. Another is Miles. Another is Willie Carne. And the pick of the recent additions is Inglis - for consistently scoring 1 or 2 tries per game - amazing scoring rate. So many other champions.

I admire Tallis greatly for his passion, but not so much for being involved in so many losses. Not that he was really responsible for that. Webcke did a great job up front APART FROM his predictable tendency to come up with 1 or 2 knock-ons in every game.

The Great Lockyer!
I have to admit though as much as I think Smith is a grub and a sook at nrl level I absolutely love him when he plays Origin.

Right now: Thurston. Love the efforts he puts into ALL of his Origin games. Dead set best Origin player going around atm. Lockyer is amazing, but I get the feeling he's happy to let Thurston further develop his game for when Locky retires.

All time: Langer. That comeback was sensational.

I'm a bit young to remember the feats of Wally Lewis, so I'll go with Langer. A true legend. And because I like to say this whenever I get the chance, he was shitloads better than Andrew Johns. icon_thumbs_u

I'm old, so it is definitely Wally Lewis for me, Langer second, Lockyer then Webcke

There are scores of QLD Origin players I love; Lockyer, Langer, Meninga, Miles, Bella, Gillmeister, Larson, Lindner, Backo, Conescu, Shearer, Webcke, Civo, Price, Jackson, Moore, Renouf, Belcher, Steve Walters, Kev Walters, Tallis, Gee, the list goes on and on and that is no disrespect to the players not listed.

There is only two NSW players I liked; Sterling and Pearce.

There are many NSW players I begrudgingly respected; Elias, Roach, Sironin, Stuart, Daley, O'Connor, Johns (the brother that actually had skill), Jack, Mortimer.

However, there is still only one who stands head and shoulders above the rest, who epitomises what Origin means; The King.

He was (and still is to an extent) Origin;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NottgZJ ... re=related

That is what the QLD public thought of his greatness, nobody sends off the King without a good reason or else! Also, think of his nickname, which the players actually called him...The King. Utmost respect by all who played with and against him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrkSX0I6O4

Watch how he comes in flying, then heads straight to the ref! Knew how to get what he wanted.(P.S. Peter Jackson what a player R.I.P.)

Only the true greats control Origin; Lockyer, Lewis, Langer, Sterling, Fittler to an extent. Nobody else has done it, except Andrew Johns, in one game ever.

Hammoz said:
There is only two NSW players I liked; Sterling and Pearce.
Be careful, Mitchell has played Origin too....lolz. :shock:

Good post though, can't argue with most of that. I don't remember the King too well, but his legacy speaks for itself.

Although I did love Andrew Etinghausen back in the day he was a ....talented.... [icon_shady ....player 8-)

I forgot Clyde. Sterling, Wayne Pearce and Bradley Clyde. Sheer brilliance.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Bongo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • The True King
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Lurker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morepudding
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.