Your top 5 Brisbane Bronco tries of all time

didn't Kemp score a ridiculous beat every Sea Eagles player long range try during origin one year?

Yeah he scored a length of the field try on debut from a kick return IIRC.

Such a shame he went to the Warriors and fell off the face of the earth. Could've been so much more. Was he a Folau casualty?

He was a Henjak casualty.

Got screwed around when Henjak became head coach. Then screwed around when Griffin became head coach and was pretty much forced to retire.

More like a Vatuvei casualty.

Punctured his lungs against the Warriors in Round 3. Tried to come back as quickly as he could, but just ended up doing more damage to himself.

When he returned in 2013, it was towards the end of the pre-season and he was merely seen as cover for the backs. In hindsight, he should have received some game-time but in the grand scheme of things, we had probably seen the best Kemp had to offer.

His Locker Room show is worth checking out. I watched the Munster interview the other day and found it really insightful.

Got screwed around when Henjak became head coach. Then screwed around when Griffin became head coach and was pretty much forced to retire.
Did he even play under Henjak? I don't think so. I'm not sure anyone can be blamed for his sudden downturn except for himself.

I've been watching old games from the 90's and fucking hell, I miss watching those sides play. The amount of long distance tries we scored where we just threw the ball around and burned sides with our speed, vision and ball playing ability. It was unbelievable.

Like this beauty against the Crushers in Round 4, 1996.

The Broncos of the 90s were something special. Here's my list with plenty of 90s moments. I've tried to avoid one already covered on the thread (eg Berrigan vs dogs 06 prelim final, Renouf 92 gf) which of course belong in any top 5.
1. Steve Renouf 94 final vs Manly. Off the back of defending multiple sets on their own line, Walters spreads to Renouf who goes 80 odd meters untouched, making Terry Hill look very pedestrian. Reckon 94 was the Pearl's peak season & could've chosen a few spectacular efforts (he scored a ridiculous length of the field try vs North Sydney in the pre season tournament to break a deadlock late in the match - those interested see 2:10 mins mark : , but due to the context the effort v Manly gets the nod)

2.Alan Cann - 1993 preliminary final vs Canterbury. Cann powers through 7 defenders to send the Broncos to their 2nd grand final & end a nail biting match. I was at the ground and remember the match clearly... Langer snapped a rare field goal to put the Broncos ahead before doing a prototype Ben Hunt and dropping the kickoff. The Broncos barely survive before Cann takes matters into his own hands. There's also some classic Ray Warren commentary on this clip: "somebody stop him, he'll run out of the stadium".

3. Casey McGuire - length of the field try vs Tigers in the famous baby Broncos win of 02. This was a very special away victory under Bellamy during the origin period. McGuire's runaway effort to outrun the pack was not that spectacular but it was the moment i thought holy fu*k, they're going to win this! And so it proved. One of my favourite wins in Broncos history. Sadly could not find footage of this match.

4. Kemp: 08 final v Roosters. This was a brutal encounter - I remember Parker getting flattened in the first half, at the stadium the sound of some of the hits were brutal. This match was overshadowed by the Storm heartbreaker that followed & I think played its part on softening the Broncos up slightly (even though as we all know they should've beaten the Storm - curse you Ashton). Anyhow, behind at halftime in this clash, the Broncos came out & kept the ball alive offloading all the way up the field before twinkle toes Kemp scythes through to score & put them on course for victory.
5. James Roberts v Cowboys round 04, 2016. Sweet revenge for the 15 GF (until the finals anyway). Milf beating Thurston and combining with Roberts for the Broncos to snatch - then relinquish - then again snatch victory - typifies the potential of the current Broncos squad. If they play to their peak (final round '16 vs Melb or '15 SFS rabbits carve up) they can beat any opposition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuOuZDqpGkg

Hoping there's other contenders for this list after Friday night...

Unread

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.