Your Top 5 Negatives & Positives for the 2010 Season

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
With our season only alive with minor miracles that need to occur this week & next week it's time to start the post season analysis. Post what you think have been the 5 major negatives and positives for this season.

I'm going to get the negatives out of the way first:

Negatives:

1. The re-signing of Shane Tronc. He was lauded as the player that would give us much needed muscle up front, apart from one or two good games, he really hasn't shown much imo.

2. The form of Wallace. Other than 3 or 4 good games he has been very disappointing. Services us well when Lockyer is in the team, but hasn't shown the vision that we really need in the halfback position. He hasn't been helped by our lack of go-forward and some slow play from McCullough, but he really needed to stand up when Lockyer was out and he didn't do that.

3. The admission of Sims. It is no surprise that during our winning run Sims was a member of our team. He didn't have a poor game this season. I would have rathered he stayed at the club instead of Tronc.

4. Hodges' Injury. It has been a massive blow that Hodges has not been able to take the field at all in 2010. He is just a wonderful player and his service out of dummy half and his presence in the team has been sorely missed.

5. Broncos' Attitude. Until mid-last season I was always proud to be a Broncos' fan. However our run of losses last year and our recent losses this year have been very hard to watch. In the past we might have a very flat game, but we would turn it around the following week (even if we might not have won). But, to have consecutive losses where the perception is that the "team does not care" is totally unacceptable as a fan. This out of all of the five negatives for 2010 is the one that stands out most to me.

Positive:

1. Our 2011 recruitment. We have recruited extremely well for next season. Both Hannant and Inglis will add experience and class to a young side. The young forwards can only get better playing with a player like Hannant, and playing with Inglis should give the young backs some confidence.

2. Josh Hoffman. This guy has come on in leaps and bounds. He still has a fair bit to work on like support play and ball playing, but he has shown enough this season to give Broncos fans a bit of hope.

3. Ben Hunt Experience. Although he is playing out of position, with Wallace's lack of form/ability Hunt will most likely be our long term halfback. Giving him experience in the top grade for an extended period must be good for his development. He has had some shocking games, but has also shown some glimpses of what he is capable of.

4. Lockyer's Return. Before he was injured Lockyer was probably having his best season for at least 4 or 5 years. He has lead by example on the field and I think a lot of the younger players have obvious respect for him. Let's hope he can continue that good form next year.

5. The crystal ball. We have seen a lot of exciting young players emerge this season, in particular Matt Gillett, Josh Hoffman and Yow Yeh. They have shown they have the class to be very handy footy players and most likely will play rep football in the next two years. Most of the young players have signed extended contracts which means they will be at the club for a few years together. With the addition of Hannant and Inglis for the next two years, looking into the crystal ball should give a lot of Broncos supporters hope.

Anyway, that's my two-cents worth. It will be interesting to see what other people's positives and negatives of the 2010 season have been.

Negatives

1. Kemp was injured for nearly the whole season, we were robbed of seeing pure skill in action
2. Treatment of Sims
3. Henjaks selections
4. Defence
5. Wallace being about as weak as our defence

Positives

1. Hoffman, turning out to be a star in the making
2. Te'o finally playing to his potential
3. 2011 recruitment
4. Emergence of Gillett
5. Vital game time for Ben Hunt

Positives
1. Our backrow - Arguably one of the best backrows we've ever had, that's how well they've played at times in 2010. Te'o, Thaiday and Parker were all in career best form while the emergence of Gillett was reminiscent of Eastwood's arrival in 2006.

2. The return to form of Lockyer - His career showed signs of waning last year however Lockyer answered critics with perhaps one of his finest seasons. It's a real pity he won't be rewarded.

3. The game against Melbourne - One of the best Broncos performances. A water shed moment for a lot of players.

4. The continual development of our rookies. Hoffman, Hunt, Norman, McGuire, Beale and Dodds have all shown good signs and with another year under their belt they should be prepared for a scintillating 2011.

5. Israel Folau - The form of Israel was something to behold this season. Some of the tries he was able to score and some of the runs he came up with were something to behold. Brilliant prospect.

Negatives

1. Losing Israel Folau - A damn shame that said prospect is going to AFL. I hope that signing bites them in the ass.

2. Injuries - Has their been a worse year for injuries? Seriously, you lose one of your marquee (pwn's definition) players within your first week of the preseason and from there it never got better. I know we weren't the only club but geez...

3. Stagnation of Andrew McCullough - He showed some really good signs last year but for the most part in 2010 he hasn't been able to produce more than a mixed performance. There are a lot of big wraps on this kid, hopefully he lives up to them.

4. Our defence - It never came good. Our attitude may of improved at times but really we never dominated a team defensively and given that was the backbone of our run home in 2009 and of course our premiership win in 2006 it's a shame it never really improved.

5. Some of the losses this season - Boy did some of them hurt. vs. Roosters (twice) vs. Warriors (twice) vs. Knights (twice) vs. Tigers all stung and really irritated me as a fan.

You guys think signing Hannants going to solve our frontrow problems ?? You must be joking. We need three Hannants not just one. Hopefully we'll lose henjak and get an experienced coach with a credible track record.

Huge. said:
You guys think signing Hannants going to solve our frontrow problems ?? You must be joking. We need three Hannants not just one. Hopefully we'll lose henjak and get an experienced coach with a credible track record.
I've had enough. 2 years is enough. Cullen gone, one to go.

Positives
[*] The re-emergence of Darren Lockyer
[*] Promising young players coming through, especially Hoffman and Gillett
[*] Israel Folau - has gone from a last tackle bomb target to one of the most damaging strike players in the game. Unfortunately not a positve we can capatalise on next year :cry:
[*] We beat some good sides - especially Storm in Melbourne, Manly at Brookvale and the Dragons at Suncorp
[*] The mid-year recovery of our season after it looked dead very early

Negatives
[*] Frail mentality under adversity. It seems as though if we get a rough decision or the opposition gets some momentum, we go into freefall
[*] Injuries. Crueled us early in the season and Lockyer's injury started our downfall
[*] Inability to prevent offloads. This has been a problem for a very long time. So many tries could have been prevented this year if we simply locked up the ball
[*] Losses to some very beatable sides
[*] Peter Wallace. I know everybody has been on his case but it hasn't been a good season from him by any stretch of the imagination. We needed him to step up, especially when Lockyer got injured and he didn't do it.

Positives:
1. Hoffman and Gillett
2. Blooding of young talent
3. Thaiday's form
4. Lockyer's form
5. Folau's form

Negatives:
1. Attitude when defending
2. Discipline
3. Lack of attacking (and it could be argued defensive) structures
4. Injuries to key members of the squad
And what I want to be worked on in the offseason (hire the Melbourne Storm guy)
5. The inability to wrestle in the ruck!

I don't care how much money it takes, I want us to get the guy from Melbourne Storm that teaches them about dominance in the ruck (a wrestling consultant - doesn't need to be a full-time coach, probably just 1 session a week, maybe 4-5 sessions in the late pre-season), a new full-time defence coach, and Shane Webcke re-hired as the forwards coach. I want Allan Langer to be the halves and skills coach, and then look at hiring a backs/attacking coach.

Huge. said:

It makes a massive difference... Hannant will be taking the toughest - first - hit up more often than not. It's a domino effect. He has the capabilities to dominate that hit up making it easier for the others. When you have Tronc and Kenny taking the 2nd and 3rd hitups against an unset or backpedaling defense these guys will really come into their own.

Tronc and Kenny struggle to take the first hit up, but they are more than adequate support acts.

My idea is for a couple or three tough hard nuts, no matter that they be near the end of their careers. The idea is we always have a tough centre at all stages of the game. We have missed that. I may be wrong but I had an idea Wayne Bennett bought Weyman from Canberra? when he first went to St George. Like he had a plan. I remember him doing the same thing years ago with a guy called Harvey Howard.

Hannant will be handy but on his own will not benefit us greatly. He will need another couple of hard heads. I hope Henjak understands this but doubt he'll do it as his idea is to dump all WBs ideas including the good ones.

POSITIVE
1) Locky overall - adapted his game once again - true pioneer!
2) Teo
3) Gillett
4) Hoffman
5) Yow Yeh

NEGATIVE
1) Locky injury + Our finish to the season (so far) ...Don't even mention D but our attack was disgusting to watch to but it frankly
2) Kemp Injury
3) Wallace - O.M.G [icon_drun [icon_drun I'm not a hater but the fact that he did not step up in big games doesn't sit well with me
4) Losing Folau - Just as he was really starting to hit his straps... he was really turning into something good - pity he had to go
5) No Hodgo - Hate him or not .. the Broncos are really not the same without him... not necessarily a good thing perhaps but he is an integral part of the current Bronco era and without a doubt we would be comfortably in the top 9 this year if he had played.

Blooding young talent?

We had no bloody choice!

What is positive is that we have the talent.

1. Hoffman's rise
2. Gillett's revelation of awesomeness
3. What this team could really do when we played at our best.
4. Signing Inglis and Hannant
5. Macca showing that he can be our answer to the "9" problem

Negatives.

1. Henjak's stupid brain explosions
2. Henjak's EGO
3. The sudden nose dive after we were real competition chances
4. Losing Folau
5. Kemp's injuries

Positives

1. Darren Lockyer's superb form when many (including myself) were starting to doubt whether he still had it at this level
2. The rise of so many outstanding youngsters: Gillett and Hoffman the pick of the crop
3. The 5-game winning streak midseason. No team has had a longer streak this season. Probably led to many having their expectations raised too high
4. Away form. Wins on the road against Manly, Melbourne, Parramatta and Gold Coast were outstanding efforts.
5. Revolutionary versatility in our team. Te'o being able to play back row, centre, front row. Gillett playing back row, centre, wing and even five-eighth (though not well). Glenn's versatility. It provides our team a lot of depth.

Negatives

1. Late season capitulation. It's not all about Locky. The lack of heart and leadership from our senior players has been the most disappointing thing.
2. Peter Wallace. Whether impeded by injury or not, he has gone backwards this year and questions must be asked about his long term future as the Broncos' chief playmaker post-Lockyer.
3. Denan Kemp's injury. We needed his speed and enthusiasm on the wing. Hopefully he can get back on the park in 2011.
4. Home form. Only 5 wins from 11 games with 1 to play. Disgusting.
5. Front row form. Nick Kenny was probably the biggest let down of the season, even worse than Wallace (yes, I said it), but he wasn't alone. Tronc's form was sporadic. As was Anderson and McGuire's. Dodds was never quite up to it. Setu and Sims were actually better than most of the others when they were there, so it makes it astonishing both had so much trouble getting a look in (is Setu injured? :P )

Professor47 said:
POSITIVE
1) Locky overall - adapted his game once again - true pioneer!
2) Teo
3) Gillett
4) Hoffman
5) Yow Yeh

NEGATIVE
1) Locky injury + Our finish to the season (so far) ...Don't even mention D but our attack was disgusting to watch to but it frankly
2) Kemp Injury
3) Wallace - O.M.G [icon_drun [icon_drun I'm not a hater but the fact that he did not step up in big games doesn't sit well with me
4) Losing Folau - Just as he was really starting to hit his straps... he was really turning into something good - pity he had to go
5) No Hodgo - Hate him or not .. the Broncos are really not the same without him... not necessarily a good thing perhaps but he is an integral part of the current Bronco era and without a doubt we would be comfortably in the top 9 this year if he had played.

You're joking right???

I agree - stretching it a bit.

Nevertheless, Yows has the potential to be as good as any winger going around with good mentoring.

Of course, not quite in Kempy's league. 8-)

Yow Yeh has massive potentail and has a perfect body type for a winger. I feel his weakness is between the ears. I hope he fires next year because he is great to watch but as you say not quite in Kempy's league.. icon_thumbs_u

Positives:

1. Israel Folau becoming one of the best centres in the game and our best attacking weapon
2. Signing Tronc. sure he might not be the quickest guy, and has played some average games, but he is a genuine prop who can match it with the very best on his day, and brings a very much needed offload to our team.
3. Hoffman taking the fullback spot and making it his own for many years to come.
4. Teo! really stepped up to the mark and cemented his position.
5. Gillett. Has the potential to be a superstar.

Negatives:

1. Israel Folau becoming one of the best centres and our best attacking weapon, knowing that he wont be here next year
2. Peter Wallace. consistently terrible, pretty much a complete failure this year. hard for a team to succeed when one of their chief playmakers has NFI what to do with the ball in hand.
3. The fact that we're looking like a 1-man team more now than we ever have.
4. Our hooker troubles. We've got 2, neither seem very good. We need a single hooker who will play 80 minutes, and who can pass the ball quickly from dummy half.
5. Our defence. absolutely shocking.

Everything has been pretty well covered in here already but for what its worth

Positives
1. Gillet - finally a backrower that isnt afraid to offload the ball and use his skills
2. Hunt who ?! - we now have a REAL fullback in hoffman who plays like a fullback. His support play and, in particular, his one on one defence is brilliant and showcases what we have been missing the last few years.
3. Folau becoming one of the best centres in the game
4. Thaiday turning into probably the best 2nd rower in the game today.
5. Te'o - along with gillet, he is something we have been missing for years, a backrower that can make breaks and score tries.

Negatives
1. Becoming the worst 1 man team in recent history. Not even the knights were this bad without joey.
2. Not learning to shut down offloads. Every other team seems to have learnt this skill, are we missing something?
3. Wallace - he is useless and should not be retained. Problem is, there are no suitable replacements.
4. Hodges being more useless than usual
5. Folau leaving, and this would feature in my top negatives of all time. He is the single biggest loss this game has seen.

i forgot to mention thaidays form, last 4-5 weeks not included. he really finally lived up to all the hype around him for most of this season.

even if we do miss the finals, i think its a miracle we even got this close to be honest. we had an absolutely horrible run with injuries for the first half of the year, then losing our best and main player at the end of the season was just a kick in the teeth. to only miss out by 1 win was still a good effort.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • broncsgoat
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.