Your Top 5 Negatives & Positives for the 2010 Season

Wow, looking at most people's responses, we don't seem to have a problem with our coaching... [icon_ee

Anyway, my 2 cents:
Positive
1- Lockyer's revival
2- Gillett's revelation
3- Backrow in it's entirety (Thaiday, Te’o, Parker, Glenn and Gillett again)
4- Hoffman making Khunt a distant memory as well as Folau’s impact as a right centre.
5- Awesome wins against Storm, Dragons, Eels, Manly and twice Titans

Negatives
1- Defence, need I say more?
2- Henjak’s (coaching team) inability to motivate his troops under adversity.
3- Henjak’s (coaching team) unnecessary positioning changes and routine breaks, which are deadly with such a young team.
4- Hodge’s whole season injury
5- Home form, losing games that we could have won.

The fact I don’t mention Wallace doesn’t mean I think he did well, because I agree he was below par.
I don’t however think he can be held responsible for the team’s awful defence and mentality, which were our undoing this season.

Hannant and Inglis coming next year is something for the 2011 season’s positives (I hope) icon_thumbs_u
Folau’s departure to the f’ing fumble ball wankers is for the same reason a 2011 season’s negative. :evil:

audragon said:
The fact I don’t mention Wallace doesn’t mean I think he did well, because I agree he was below par.
I don’t however think he can be held responsible for the team’s awful defence and mentality, which were our undoing this season.
our inability to score points has also been our undoing this season, and a huge portion of the blame for that sits on our halfbacks inability to create or take advantage of opportunities when we're in attacking positions.

just think how much easier it would be for us atm if we hadve scored a single extra try against the Tigers in that game, when we had like 70% of the posession right on their 20m line. but we looked like a boat without a rudder due to Wallaces inability to not only make the right decision, but to even make a decision at all.

Anonymous person said:
audragon said:
our inability to score points has also been our undoing this season, and a huge portion of the blame for that sits on our halfbacks inability to create or take advantage of opportunities when we're in attacking positions.

just think how much easier it would be for us atm if we hadve scored a single extra try against the Tigers in that game, when we had like 70% of the posession right on their 20m line. but we looked like a boat without a rudder due to Wallaces inability to not only make the right decision, but to even make a decision at all.

^^^ This.

I'm not laying the blame of our season solely at Wallace's feet. Just need to see my 4 other "negatives" to see that. But that Tigers game really shows me how incapable he was this season of taking control of this team.

And that worries me post-Lockyer.

Before anyone starts blabbering about how "Wallace isn't the captain, he's not a senior player, Parker and Thaiday are" blah blah, Wallace is, when Locky's not there, the backline general. That's his job. In fact, that was meant to be his job even when Locky was there, to try and take that pressure of his shoulders.

Would Wallace have gone better if we had a decent front row? Yes.
Would Wallace have gone better if we hadn't had so many injuries at key times? Yes.
Would Wallace have gone better if Locky played every game? Yes.

But that's all irrelevant. Fact is we need Wallace to stand up in those situations where our pack isn't on top, our team is understrength and the great man isn't there.

2010 is an abject failure for P. Wallace, and 2011 is make or break for him.

Anonymous person said:
audragon said:

Anything to justify the hate... :roll:
Are you trying to say that the Tigers game is what cost us our season? What about the Panthers game, where Locky failed to bring us the victory, does that count too?
We've been unlucky in those games, against 2 of the better teams in the comp.

This is painful, but here goes:
Broncos 16 Warriors 48
Bulldogs 36 Broncos 18
Broncos 22 Knights 30
Broncos 14 Eels 30
Knights 44 Broncos 18
Warriors 36 Broncos 4

These are the games that cost us our season. Common denominator? We leaked 30 or more points in each of them!

Look at the ladder, the minor premiers have less points scored than us, but their defence might have something to do with their ranking...

audragon said:
Are you trying to say that the Tigers game is what cost us our season? What about the Panthers game, where Locky failed to bring us the victory, does that count too?
no, thats not at all what im saying :roll:

im saying that that game was the PERFECT example of one of the main reasons we have failed to win games. we had all the possession in the world, all the field positions, yet our chief playmaker came up with NOTHING. we werent unlucky - our main playmaker just failed to guide the team around the park.

hell, i reckon if we had Shane Perry as our halfback in that game we wouldve won by 20 points. and thats saying something.

Anonymous person said:
audragon said:

im saying that that game was the PERFECT example of one of the main reasons we have failed to win games. we had all the possession in the world, all the field positions, yet our chief playmaker came up with NOTHING. we werent unlucky - our main playmaker just failed to guide the team around the park.

hell, i reckon if we had Shane Perry as our halfback in that game we wouldve won by 20 points. and thats saying something.

Yeah. What AP and I are saying is that even when the Broncos' defence was right (And it was good against the Tigers, and even against Penrith) our attack failed to fire.

Against Penrith, Locky had his worst game in years. But that was unusual given his form most of this season.
Against the Tigers, Wallace performed in attack as he has all season - poorly. And that was a game where we had ample opportunity to put some points on. And failed.

But it doesn't matter how often this point gets explained, the douchebags here believe it's an emotional need for a scapegoat...ignoring the fact we're not saying Wallace was the sole reason we lost, but he was a big reason why we didn't win!

Coxy said:
Anonymous person said:
audragon said:

Yeah. What AP and I are saying is that even when the Broncos' defence was right (And it was good against the Tigers, and even against Penrith) our attack failed to fire.

Against Penrith, Locky had his worst game in years. But that was unusual given his form most of this season.
Against the Tigers, Wallace performed in attack as he has all season - poorly. And that was a game where we had ample opportunity to put some points on. And failed.

But it doesn't matter how often this point gets explained, the douchebags here believe it's an emotional need for a scapegoat...ignoring the fact we're not saying Wallace was the sole reason we lost, but he was a big reason why we didn't win!
I understand both your points and ignoring AP's usual exageration, I also don't disagree with both of you that Wallace was below par this season. I just believe that the 5 factors I mentioned were of more importance to our season than Wallace, and that many of those points definitely affected Wallace's performances also.

Thurston, Prince, Cronk are the only half backs out there that could have the influence you demand on such a young team, and no… Wallace is not in their league!
Look at the good performing HB’s besides those 3 in the comp and you’ll see they all have a very good pack in front of them, right Maloney, right Pearce, right Hornby?
Yet, I wouldn’t replace Wallace with any of them!

Well I'd replace Wallace with Pearce in a heartbeat. But then I have an agenda against NSW players coming to the Broncos.

Oh....wait...

Coxy said:
Well I'd replace Wallace with Pearce in a heartbeat. But then I have an agenda against NSW players coming to the Broncos.

Oh....wait...
id take Pearce, Maloney, Barba and even Mullen over Wallace.

Anonymous person said:
Coxy said:

Oh....wait...
Putting aside the Qld vs. NSW argument (I'd take any of the 3 Qld HB's obviously!)

Pearce would be at a similar lever to Wallace and Maloney is having a great spell, but will he back it up next season?
Mullen and Barba are 5/8's and the latter despite his talent is an absolute speed hump in defence. Might as well go for Norman in that case.

Wallace has been behind the most badly beaten pack of the comp IMO and has had close to the worst dummy half service too, making him effectively the HB with the least space and time to think and act. Yes he could have done better, but he still managed pretty good stats, given what he had to work with...

audragon said:
Anonymous person said:
Coxy said:

Oh....wait...
Putting aside the Qld vs. NSW argument (I'd take any of the 3 Qld HB's obviously!)

Pearce would be at a similar lever to Wallace and Maloney is having a great spell, but will he back it up next season?
Mullen and Barba are 5/8's and the latter despite his talent is an absolute speed hump in defence. Might as well go for Norman in that case.

Wallace has been behind the most badly beaten pack of the comp IMO and has had close to the worst dummy half service too, making him effectively the HB with the least space and time to think and act. Yes he could have done better, but he still managed pretty good stats, given what he had to work with...

Mate Pearce is twice the player Peter Wallace is.

And I wouldn't use Wallace as a lever. He'd break something.

Pearce is already and will get a whole better than Wallace, he is actually quite tough and not a bad defender for a halfback. When Pearce has the ball you always feel like he could do something for either himself or those around him whereas Wallace strikes fear into no one especially with his pathetic running game which I made an observation as to how little he does run last year, never running or running so poorly means you are not giving the defender that extra element to think about. Thurston, Prince, Kimmorley (especially a few years ago), Pearce, Cronk and young McCrone are all incredibly dangerous running the football and that helps give them more time because defenders do not want to rush up at them giving them holes to exploit. Wallace never causes any problems for defenders because he is appalling running the ball.

Yeh but the thing that shits me is that the Wallace-baggers don't remember how good he can be.

Yes, he has been disappointing this season. But you're all pretty much saying he is a crap halfback. Which is incorrect. He is a good halfback. He is just out of sorts at the moment like a lot of the Broncos players.

Look at his form at the end of last year. If he produced that on a consistent basis you wouldn't swap him for any other halfback in the competition.

I will concede, he has had a disappointing season, but it would be nice to see some acknowledgement for what a good player he can be.

Jeba said:
Yeh but the thing that shits me is that the Wallace-baggers don't remember how good he can be.

I reckon he gets bagged more because we have seen his best and know how good he can be.

But Jeb, in 3 seasons, Wallace has shown what he's capable of for a grand total of 10 games. Out of 60-odd.

The rest of the time he's been average or poor.

That's the reason I'm losing my patience with him completely.

Well I guess I have a different opinion to most of you

Positives

1. Henjaks coaching, IMO a revelation this season. To be able to over come horrific injury toll so early in the season, blood so many new players (the Broncos had the youngest playing squad in the comp), get them up and to be in contention only a few weeks ago for a top 2 spot, amazing. Every reporter in the land said we wouldn’t make the top 8, we almost proved them all wrong. I don’t think it was the coaching more the fact the riggers of a long season for so many young, inexperienced players and injuries have been the cause of the late season capitulation.
2. The emergence of some young guns that look like the future of the club, Hoffman, Gillett, Norman and others. Futures so bright, I gotta wear shades.
3. The form of Lockyer, Falou, Parker, Thaiday and T’eo have been critical to our successes this year.
4. Our mid-season form, it showed that we have the players to beat the best, and will be important in seasons to come. Wins against power houses Storm, Dragons, Parramatta and Titians showed that we have the game to beat them, again will stand us in good stead in the future.
5. .Recruitment, the arrival of Tronc (while not displaying the same form as he did for the Cowboys), has added size and plenty of offloads this season. Hammant and Inglis are premium buys and will add experience up front and a catalyst to our backline plays. IF we get Hodges and Kemp back, our backline will be the envy of every other team.

Negatives

1. Without doubt, injuries to so many key players all at once. Add to that an injury to Lockyer at the most critical time of the year, when the team needed his leadership and guidance when young guys were obviously running on tired legs, has proved costly.
2. The form of Wallace. Is he the least dominate or creative halfback in the comp? With Hunt not putting any pressure at all on him to take his position he just seems to be cruising. Lockyer could make me look good as halfback. I would add Simms to this, he totally dropped his bundle and only once displayed what he was capable of. (Against the Dragons last year). Would have been the first player I would have cut this season. Pleased he’s gone, freeing up money to buy other players.
3. The loss of Tim Smith, yes I know he hasn’t set the world on fire at the Sharks, but IMO he would have flourished partnering with Lockyer.
4. McGuire, Hunt and McCullough, none seem to be developing and this is a worrying sign. Hooker and half are our biggest worries, McCullough and Hunt are not stepping up and this is my only concern for next year.
5. Loss of Falou to the AFL, not just for the Broncos, but for League. Nothing we could do with what he was offered, just going to leave a big hole.

Burg said:
Well I guess I have a different opinion to most of you

Positives

1. Henjaks coaching, IMO a revelation this season.
I stopped reading right there... [icon_non

I particularly love Henjak's fabulous work with our front row, both in attack and defence, just fantastic stuff! [icon_ee

Active Now

• Aldo
  • mitch222
  • Brocko
  • Morkel
  • Justwin
  • Rambstien
  • Wolfie
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • Ffs...
  • BooKhaki
  • Ondi
  • Galah
  • Big Del
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • Mustafur
  • Maroon4life
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.