Yvonne Sampson leaves Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a presenters job to talk up both teams.

When the Cowboys are on, she doesn't say much about the Broncos.. There was one game there, I can't remember which one it was, one of the other panel members had to actually interrupt her and start talking up the Broncos.

All she wanted to talk about was JT and how great the Cowboys have been..

Are you new to Channel 9 coverage though? Because we know what commentators are meant to do.

It's a presenters job to talk up both teams.

When the Cowboys are on, she doesn't say much about the Broncos.. There was one game there, I can't remember which one it was, one of the other panel members had to actually interrupt her and start talking up the Broncos.

All she wanted to talk about was JT and how great the Cowboys have been..

Like Nashy said, it's because she works for Nine. :p

Ah, I get what you mean now.

But when the phrase 'blithering woman' is used, you have to forgive people for thinking it was about gender. And when you assume a 'free pass' was given because she has a vagina, then you have to forgive people for thinking it's about gender.

Is she the second coming of Richie Benaud in a hot body? No. But she's more than qualified enough to work on any of the footy shows, especially considering the calibre of idiots she'll be working with. Who incidentally do in fact get a free pass, because they have a penis.
The phrase ' blithering woman' was never used. What I wrote was I never needed women blithering on....just stick to facts will you and don't try twisting words for effect.

Jim Maxwell has called over 300 Test matches since the 70's for the ABC- never played cricket test. Outside of Benaud he would be the most respected voice in Australian cricket.

Gerard Whatley- great caller of all sports and journalist- never played Test cricket, ridden a Melbourne Cup winner or played AFL.

Dennis Cometti- Great AFL caller never played AFL.

Bruce McAvaney- Never ridden a Melbourne Cup, won an AFL Grand Final, or been to the Olympics- called every one since 1980.
All of whom are commentators, all male too I note. My disagreement is with the insertion of women with the sole purpose of getting more women into the game and by extension, their money. Tonight I actually knew what Sampson looked like after googling her! Must say she looked quite attractive with the rack out and equally in some more demure evening attire.

When I watch a footy show I watch for the insight that players,former players and coaches (ex too) bring. I'm not interested in 'colour' although I don't begrudge others interest.

It's just that sometimes the women cross over into the areas where they have no expertise, stepping outside the role for which they are paid. If I wanted an amateur or ill informed opinion I'd log on to bhq ! Ha ha, not really meant to offend but it's not what I personally am interested in. All power to the people who love the ladies on the sport's various shows and in the end, I can always use the mute button!

Gender tokenism is a legitimate discussion to have, as it does happen, not just in RL either. However I don't believe Yvonne should be a part of that discussion, I have always thought she was excellent at her job. Erin Molan on the other hand....

Assuming it was her choice, when she hitched her wagon to the Thursday Footy Show, she lost any credibility, at least in my opinion

She'll only get it back if she too leaves and becomes a journalist again and not a 'personality'

The phrase ' blithering woman' was never used. What I wrote was I never needed women blithering on....just stick to facts will you and don't try twisting words for effect.
Sorry, 'women blithering'. I retract my entire post as your use of THAT phrase clearly shows a deep respect for the woman in question and women in general.

Sorry, 'women blithering'. I retract my entire post as your use of THAT phrase clearly shows a deep respect for the woman in question and women in general.
You just can't handle criticism of any sort can you? Instead of realising you had made a mistake and simply acknowledging it or even saying sorry about that, you launch into some bullshit about the rest of the post .That's what immature kids do and some grownups who take their own imperfections to heart and just never ever can be wrong

Good post [MENTION=8761]Dash[/MENTION] about deep respect for women in general.

Plenty of that going on in this forum by morally superior, socially progressive posters... just like in that 'pretty ladies' thread. No objectifying women going on there by anyone who is crowing about respect for women here and in other threads. Just a bit of harmless fun.

Honestly, the 'misogyny' in this thread is only eclipsed by its hypocrisy, imo.

And just like that you have the morally superior labelling any and all who dare to speak about women,suddenly they're all mysoginists ,if it was about indigenous issues they'd be racist,about boat people they'd be xenophobic. ..****,it never ends with you dopes

Good post @Dash about deep respect for women in general.

Plenty of that going on in this forum by morally superior, socially progressive posters... just like in that 'pretty ladies' thread. No objectifying women going on there by anyone who is crowing about respect for women here and in other threads. Just a bit of harmless fun.

Yeah, these morally superior, socially progressive posters are such hypocrites. What has the world come to, that men enjoy the beauty and attraction of the opposite sex...

Posting pictures of beautiful women, objectifying their sex appeal, is so much worse than wishing for them to return to half a century ago, when being at home cleaning, cooking and giving foot massages to their husbands upon their return from work. Now, that's not misogynistic at all!

And just like that you have the morally superior labelling any and all who dare to speak about women,suddenly they're all mysoginists ,if it was about indigenous issues they'd be racist,about boat people they'd be xenophobic. ..****,it never ends with you dopes
You may not mean it like that (and FTR, knowing you a little bit from your work here, I do believe you don't), but your intention counts for little when what you are trying to convey is perceived otherwise by the majority.

P.S. I don't know what it is, as even though it's the off season, BHQ has just gone stupid of late, with what looks like people fed-up with political correctness, just going the other extreme and saying whatever comes up in their heads... whatever happened to common sense?

Good post @Dash about deep respect for women in general.

Claiming that the people disputing the points being made are acting morally superior is an absolute cop out. It's simply people calling you and [MENTION=1992]Huge[/MENTION] out for having a shit opinion. Trust me, I'm firmly in the anti-SJW camp, you're free to say whatever you like, but if that's the case you should also be open to critisism.

When Huge bases his opinion on Sampson being female, without any prior knowledge regarding her abilities, is that not the exact definition of sexist?

Claiming that the people disputing the points being made are acting morally superior is an absolute cop out. It's simply people calling you and [MENTION=1992]Huge[/MENTION] out for having a shit opinion. Trust me, I'm firmly in the anti-SJW camp, you're free to say whatever you like, but if that's the case you should also be open to critisism.

When Huge bases his opinion on Sampson being female, without any prior knowledge regarding her abilities, is that not the exact definition of sexist?
If it helps ,replace women blithering with unknown Canadian backwoodsman blithering. ...as the WHOLE FOCUS of the conversation is a woman it's not surprising that I wrote about a woman. I mean, if it was some knobhead from Canada( or anywhere else unrelated to rugby league ) male or female I would not be interested in their opinion if they had never played or never knew anything about the game.

It's got **** all to do with women, it's all about not knowing anything much and giving an opinion. The fact that sports shows have increasingly been adding women to broaden the appeal is lamentable. It's actually a slap for women and few can see that.

If it helps ,replace women blithering with unknown Canadian backwoodsman blithering. ...as the WHOLE FOCUS of the conversation is a woman it's not surprising that I wrote about a woman. I mean, if it was some knobhead from Canada( or anywhere else unrelated to rugby league ) male or female I would not be interested in their opinion if they had never played or never knew anything about the game.

It's got **** all to do with women, it's all about not knowing anything much and giving an opinion. The fact that sports shows have increasingly been adding women to broaden the appeal is lamentable. It's actually a slap for women and few can see that.

A slap for women would be if any of them who were actually interested in the game (there are you know) had to sit through Beavis giggling while making references to a drunk Butthead who asked a mother exactly how damaged her vagina was from her childbirth.

Like has already been said, you yourself admitted your opinion of Yvonne was based purely on your own stereotypes of women. And that stereotype has them as disconnected, irrelevant, and uninformed about the game. The Women In League round has clearly gone straight over your head, not surprised EDIT: Flaming

Worst case scenario is that just by being there she brings in a critical percentage of viewers that adds to the commercial viability of a very large TV rights deal so that your favourite players stay in the NRL. That alone should be enough to appease someone as selfish as yourself, even though those of us with a semblance of respect for women know that her value is far higher than simple token chickbait.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Flaming

Last edited by a moderator:
We survived without the contribution that you allege women bring in,it never needed it before and there's room in my insular chauvinistic arse for you. It'd be familiar company no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • levikaden
  • The Strapper
  • Sproj
  • jd87
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  • Strop
  • Fozz
  • Horseheadsup
  • Mighty Bronx
  • johnny plath
  • Browny
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.