Yvonne Sampson leaves Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing first grade doesn't make you the most knowledgeable. What club did David Middleton play for?

Exactly right

There are many great commentators of other sports who never played at the top level but are legends broadcasting their sport.

Exactly right

There are many great commentators of other sports who never played at the top level but are legends broadcasting their sport.
Name all the females who became great commentators in male sports ! And for balance, the men.

My personal favourite, Doris Burke.
doris2.jpg

You probably haven't heard of her though and therefore your opinion is invalid. Hey! Kinda like your opinion on Yvonne Sampson whom you also haven't heard of.

Christy Malthouse was one of the better commentators for the AFL for a while

My personal favourite, Doris Burke.
doris2.jpg

You probably haven't heard of her though and therefore your opinion is invalid. Hey! Kinda like your opinion on Yvonne Sampson whom you also haven't heard of.
Now you're getting it. As you say I have never heard of her so my opinion would be irrelevant and certainly uninformed. Must say I'm pleased you understand my point of view.

Now you're getting it. As you say I have never heard of her so my opinion would be irrelevant and certainly uninformed. Must say I'm pleased you understand my point of view.

In that case, why did you come in all guns blazing with an opinion that was so utterly ridiculous if you were aware that your opinion was both irrelevant and uninformed?

In that case, why did you come in all guns blazing with an opinion that was so utterly ridiculous if you were aware that your opinion was both irrelevant and uninformed?
My opinion is hardly ridiculous and my views on talking heads is shared by many. That in itself is not necessarily a good thing but it does demonstrate that I am hardly alone. In reference to my opinion of Sampson nothing I wrote was about her ability to speak with authority it's just that I know I'm not interested in her opinion about a subject she has never experienced. You will just have to accept that.

My opinion is hardly ridiculous and my views on talking heads is shared by many. That in itself is not necessarily a good thing but it does demonstrate that I am hardly alone. In reference to my opinion of Sampson nothing I wrote was about her ability to speak with authority it's just that I know I'm not interested in her opinion about a subject she has never experienced. You will just have to accept that.

I don't have to accept your shit opinion about something you have admitted to knowing nothing about. You are wrong. I'm getting real tired of people thinking that just because they're entitled to an opinion, people have to accept it and not call them out on their stupidity.

"Never needed women blithering on , don't rate their opinions as I've always thought they were on the panels etc just to appease women."

This here is the bit I'm disputing. You might have said you only value the opinions of men who have played the game but you also insinuated that she had no idea and she was there to appease women which is wrong, therefore your opinion is wrong. Being allowed to have an opinion doesn't make it any more wrong or stupid (Arguing the point, not the man).

Last edited:
I don't have to accept your shit opinion about something you have admitted to knowing nothing about. You are wrong. I'm getting real tired of people thinking that just because they're entitled to an opinion, people have to accept it and not call them out on their stupidity.

"Never needed women blithering on , don't rate their opinions as I've always thought they were on the panels etc just to appease women."

This here is the bit I'm disputing. You might have said you only value the opinions of men who have played the game but you also insinuated that she had no idea and she was there to appease women which is wrong, therefore your opinion is wrong. Being allowed to have an opinion doesn't make it any more wrong or stupid (Arguing the point, not the man).
I didn't insinuate that, I said it outright ! I don't think any of the women on the panels add to my understanding of the game or players. I plain straight out do not rate them and I know damn well why they are there in the first place...get over it champion.

Is the e-peen contest going to be over soon?

Last edited:
Would love to sit in the corner and watch this unfold IRL. Bowl of popcorn. Pint. Class.

This here is the bit I'm disputing. You might have said you only value the opinions of men who have played the game but you also insinuated that she had no idea and she was there to appease women which is wrong, therefore your opinion is wrong.

It's not completely wrong......she is only there to appease women. Her insights on how the game is played, why it is played and how they are playing it, thankfully are limited.

Granted, she has some idea. But it's mostly stuff gleaned from the RL grape vine....and from the players bio's & "personalitys'".

I found her hosting SOO a complete joke TBH. Is she our Richie? .........or Rabs?? **** no! Did she hold the formality and reverence that SOO deserves......no again, with a **** in front of it. SOO is the best of the best on the world's centre stage. It deserves to be spoken about by those who have lived and breathed the sport for their entire career .....a career built on decades of experience.

Sure.....she can fill in the gaps with a bit of fluff.....but as an anchor? It was a cheap tacky ploy to drum up viewers for a series that needs no help gaining popularity.

ie: to gain the female vote.......to appease women.

I assume you're trying to make a point but, buggered if I know what it is !

You're meant to be a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Last edited:
While obviously women will be generally more inclined to watch women-inclusive or fronted things, do you also not think she's there to be a bright spot for the guys too?

Someone who loves sport, has a legitimate opinion AND is very attractive? That'll attract more men than women.

She's the only reason I can put up with all your mates like Gus, Sterlo, Joey etc.

It's not completely wrong......she is only there to appease women. Her insights on how the game is played, why it is played and how they are playing it, thankfully are limited.

Granted, she has some idea. But it's mostly stuff gleaned from the RL grape vine....and from the players bio's & "personalitys'".

I found her hosting SOO a complete joke TBH. Is she our Richie? .........or Rabs?? **** no! Did she hold the formality and reverence that SOO deserves......no again, with a **** in front of it. SOO is the best of the best on the world's centre stage. It deserves to be spoken about by those who have lived and breathed the sport for their entire career .....a career built on decades of experience.

Sure.....she can fill in the gaps with a bit of fluff.....but as an anchor? It was a cheap tacky ploy to drum up viewers for a series that needs no help gaining popularity.

ie: to gain the female vote.......to appease women.
Well as a female myself, Vonnie doesn't appease me at all, though she seems a nice enough lady.

I agree male/players commentators know their stuff. It's a male dominated sport. I prefer a knowledgeable perspective from them. Gould knows his stuff even though his game commentary is insufferable at times.
Same when I'm watching boxing, I prefer male commentators. I'm not interested how attractive a Broncos player is just don't go missing in action, turn up, play out of your skin.

While obviously women will be generally more inclined to watch women-inclusive or fronted things, do you also not think she's there to be a bright spot for the guys too?

Sure......but let's be honest about it and stick her in a bikini.

We recently joined the Foxtel bandwagon (before that I was streaming through T-Box). I'm very pleased I won't have to watch one game on 9 anymore. I can watch all games (and record if necessary) on Fox. Can't stand any of the 9 commentators. The only time I can tolerate them is when Joey & Locky are actually talking and dissecting what the players are doing on the field. Any other time it is cringe-worthy, don't get me started on Hadley.

As far as Sampson goes, she was treated like a piece of meat on the Sunday Footy show and had to put up with the boof-headedness of Joey & Freddie, and you could tell she was laughing uncomfortably many times. As a professional journalist, I fully understand her move to Fox, while they may not be perfect they certainly have respect for their women commentators/hosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Spoon
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.