Yvonne Sampson leaves Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yvonne's role isn't to discuss the finer points of the game or relate to the players on the field, as host she just leads the discussion. In that regard she's no different to Cameron Williams, Tim Gilbert, Andrew Voss or Warren Smith. What sets her apart is the way she carries herself, she's a professional who provides the game with some class. She's able to maintain a jovial mood, while asking some serious questions of those who have been involved at the highest of levels and are considered the best to have ever played the game. The fan's appreciation has little to do with gender, other women have been involved in similar roles and heavily criticised. Yvonne is respected because she's the best presenter, male or female, in the sport.

I'm seeing a couple of misogynistic comments creeping onto BHQ. It's really disappointing and these views don't belong in this community.
Where are these misogynistic comments that you claim are creeping in ?

You forgot to add, women from footy forums etc.

Would your views change if they had women who play league giving their views.

You would have a meltdown if the Broncos got a female CEO. It would be the end of the world.
Sure, get women in to comment on womens rugby league. Couldn't care less who the ceo is, best person for the job.

Whilst I agree that Gus has a lot of knowledge about the game, I am not a fan of his commentary. The amount of times he says blatently obvious things like "They will need to score soon if they want to win this game." When trailing by 4 points with 5 minutes to go etc, is ridiculous. Gus and Rabbits gotta stop. I'm so glad that Fox show all the games now, I only watch Origin on Nine now and always dread it with all the ads. Another thing I have noticed is how greedy channel 9 get with the ads, I remember a few games in 2015 where they would go to an ad before a scrum break, then you come back from the break and a team has scored. I think one of these was a Broncos game. Pretty poor form in my books, I understand they need to make money from the ads, but they shouldn't miss a second of the game. Fox definitely do a better job (not including any game the Warriors play because then the commentators basically jerk off to SJ).

I also like Yvonne way more than Erin Molan, she drives me absolutely insane. I used to love the footy show a couple years ago with Fatty and Chief and Matty Johns, but then they got rid of Chief and Sterlo and basically ruined the fabric of it. Monday Night with Matty Johns is by far the best sports program now in my book. Hilarious stuff and also actual informative information. Sterlo show is good as well for more in depth player interviews and what not. Footy show is 3 hours of fluff now.

Sterlo rules, best commentator/mind in the biz. Unparalleled knowledge of Rugby League makes him always insightful.

I agree with you... Up until the 2016 finals series. Seriously, go back and listen to his dribble. He's gone over the cliff like the rest of them.

Last edited:
Sure, get women in to comment on womens rugby league. Couldn't care less who the ceo is, best person for the job.
Do you reckon women's games should have female-only commentary teams?

Do you reckon women's games should have female-only commentary teams?

Not the worst idea I've ever heard. Like [MENTION=1992]Huge[/MENTION] said best person for the job. Not so difficult to understand where I come from.

I've made my position clear...I'm just not interested in opinion from those that don't know. Don't care who commentates on women's sport as I don't watch it. That's like most people as few people actually care about it. Don't blame me for the public's apathy.

Playing first grade doesn't make you the most knowledgeable. What club did David Middleton play for?

I am loving the hypocrisy of female fans getting mad at guys sexualising her though when their main contribution is how hot they think Cooper Cronk is or how they want to marry Shaun Johnson (Like he'd show up to the wedding anyway).

Playing first grade doesn't make you the most knowledgeable. What club did David Middleton play for?
What makes you think I rate his contribution? I've said what I want from commentary and I prefer ex players....and not every ex player.

What makes you think I rate his contribution? I've said what I want from commentary and I prefer ex players....and not every ex player.

The guy knows everything there is to know about rugby league. If you don't value his contribution you are as stupid as you're making yourself look.

I've made my position clear...I'm just not interested in opinion from those that don't know. Don't care who commentates on women's sport as I don't watch it. That's like most people as few people actually care about it. Don't blame me for the public's apathy.

I agree. It's utterly baffling to me. I mean, I get that socially progressive, morally superior, anonymous posters on the internet like to pretend otherwise but the proof is in the pudding.

No one cares about women sports. It's why netballers don't earn as much as NRL players. Money talks and bullshit in social media walks.

It's why women's tennis is happy to piggyback on the men's tournaments and then whine about it.

It's apathy, plain and simple... but hey if we click on a smiley face on facebook about whatever female sport is playing atm, that shows we care, right?

Last edited:
You guys are just saying things and arguing against points that nobody has brought up. People are just saying Yvonne Sampson is good at her job and you guys are on some random anti-social justice high horse arguing with yourselves about nothing. What else are the voices telling you?

The guy knows everything there is to know about rugby league. If you don't value his contribution you are as stupid as you're making yourself look.
If I want stats and history, Middleton is the man but that's not what's being discussed is it ? Why call me stupid when I've not abused you ? I'm entitled to my opinion on talking heads and I like mine to be ex players or coaches, deal with it.

Wherever she plys her trade is of little consequence to me. I don't even know who she is and couldn't pick her out in a lineup unless the others were all men. Her opinion on rugby league has the same value for me as a random woman from the audience. It may in fact be better thought out than many others, male or female but it doesn't change my view that my preference is for expert observation. Everyone knows why women are on these shows and I'm at least honest about it and my dislike for the belief that it's a necessity.

Charlie Lynch.

A successful coach. Never played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.