Yvonne Sampson leaves Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yvonne's role isn't to discuss the finer points of the game or relate to the players on the field, as host she just leads the discussion. In that regard she's no different to Cameron Williams, Tim Gilbert, Andrew Voss or Warren Smith. What sets her apart is the way she carries herself, she's a professional who provides the game with some class. She's able to maintain a jovial mood, while asking some serious questions of those who have been involved at the highest of levels and are considered the best to have ever played the game. The fan's appreciation has little to do with gender, other women have been involved in similar roles and heavily criticised. Yvonne is respected because she's the best presenter, male or female, in the sport.

I'm seeing a couple of misogynistic comments creeping onto BHQ. It's really disappointing and these views don't belong in this community.

Her opinion on rugby league has the same value for me as a random woman from the audience.

You forgot to add, women from footy forums etc.

Would your views change if they had women who play league giving their views.

You would have a meltdown if the Broncos got a female CEO. It would be the end of the world.

Another reason never to watch Nein coverage again, Yvonne is clearly the best presenter going around, immediate upgrade on the likes of Shirvington, and she's a Queenslander, which is always nice.

Yvonne clearly knows her shit though. Shes obviously not just there because she's attractive, that's just a bonus. In fact most of the time her opinions are more valid than the ex-player as the ex-players are idiots. What I don't get is how people think Gaz, Anasta, Tallis, Vossy (does he ever talk about footy anymore?) and Alexander are that much of an upgrade on Joey, Freddy, Gus etc. NRL commentary as a whole is absolutely crap.

What I don't get is how people think Gaz, Anasta, Tallis, Vossy (does he ever talk about footy anymore?) and Alexander are that much of an upgrade on Joey, Freddy, Gus etc. NRL commentary as a whole is absolutely crap.

I agree that the NRL commentary is crap.

They are an upgrade, because it's not Joey, Freddy, Gus etc.

Also on Fox we don't get the blatant cross channel promotions during the game.

But, but.. who will get me excited for The Block if not Rabs?

But what we do get is Vossy talking about pies and Gaz and Brandy absolutely hating everything the Broncos do.

It would be easy to think or deduce that I have no respect for women but that would be an error. The way I see these shows is with the expectation that the opinions and views would be expert in nature. I think it actually demeans women as they are so obviously placed to serve other purposes. Appeal to women, eye candy, drag cash out of women in any and every way. If they bring on females who are experts in related fields, sports medicine, psychology, sleep or administration etc then yes , I'm interested in what they have to say. If it's a nice set of tits and a pretty face offering their great insight to a game they have never played then for me, it's a no.

Ftr, Ray Warren is on free to air and consequently I just about never hear a word he says. Also, there are the odd one or two I don't particularly like ( Paul Kent ! Certainly ) but at least he played the game. . .
I don't think she'd qualify as eye candy but she does know a bit about the game. She is not of Lara Pitt standards but she will be a good addition to the network.

Yvonne clearly knows her shit though. Shes obviously not just there because she's attractive, that's just a bonus. In fact most of the time her opinions are more valid than the ex-player as the ex-players are idiots. What I don't get is how people think Gaz, Anasta, Tallis, Vossy (does he ever talk about footy anymore?) and Alexander are that much of an upgrade on Joey, Freddy, Gus etc. NRL commentary as a whole is absolutely crap.
Gus and Joey are very good and are probably the top color commentators in the game. It's their supporting cast such as Freddie, Locky and Wally who are absolutely horrid. The Fox Sports team is very strong and knowledgeable and the additions of Cozza and Yvonne has made it even stronger.

Yeah, but at least those 3 can offer a good insight. They understand the game, they know how to play the game. They know how to break down the plays.

Most of the Fox guys can't.

Last edited:
I think the game would be better if we had less ex players in commentary.

Hallelujah

Sick of some of the ex players when things don't go to plan with teams, them saying something like, I would have done this.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

People seem to have this idea that being a star player automatically qualifies you as an expert. 95% of them are just blokes who happen to be physically gifted and the extent of their football knowledge is "try good, knock on bad". And that's not to mention the ones who were clearly geniuses in the field, but have no talent for commentary.

I've never been anything but impressed with the knowledge and ability to hold meaningful discussions about footy of Yvonne Sampson, and Lara Pitt for that matter, and being a female, non-player is completely irrelevant.

The same applies to blokes too. Just because you aren't physically talented enough to play NRL doesn't mean you can't be an expert on the game.

People seem to have this idea that being a star player automatically qualifies you as an expert. 95% of them are just blokes who happen to be physically gifted and the extent of their football knowledge is "try good, knock on bad". And that's not to mention the ones who were clearly geniuses in the field, but have no talent for commentary.

I've never been anything but impressed with the knowledge and ability to hold meaningful discussions about footy of Yvonne Sampson, and Lara Pitt for that matter, and being a female, non-player is completely irrelevant.

The same applies to blokes too. Just because you aren't physically talented enough to play NRL doesn't mean you can't be an expert on the game.
For the life of me I cannot think of a single thing a commentator, male or female who has never played the game could offer, that was insightful . I'm not saying there hasn't been but I'd like an example of this insight especially if you could do that for Samson. Ex-players are much much more likely to take us into that world and give us things to think about. If I want to know about head injury I'll ask a neurosurgeon or neuroscientist. I won't ask one of their relatives or a plumber !

I'm ok with her moving on. She wasn't the best - just the best of a bad bunch. Her fake laugh was annoying.

When your bench mark is Fatty, Sterlo, Joey, Locky etc well you don't have to be that eloquent with a mic do you? Just have to string a full sentence together. Best of a bad bunch, nothing more nothing less.

Has Cameron Williams officially been confirmed as her replacement?

Sterlo rules, best commentator/mind in the biz. Unparalleled knowledge of Rugby League makes him always insightful.

For the life of me I cannot think of a single thing a commentator, male or female who has never played the game could offer, that was insightful . I'm not saying there hasn't been but I'd like an example of this insight especially if you could do that for Samson. Ex-players are much much more likely to take us into that world and give us things to think about. If I want to know about head injury I'll ask a neurosurgeon or neuroscientist. I won't ask one of their relatives or a plumber !

You've got me there, I have no examples of her or anyone else's insight. But if you're relying on ex players, I hope you enjoy clichés (the same ones they spouted in press conferences as players).

Don't get me wrong, obviously you need some players/coaches/referees in the media, but without a bona fide presenter/commentator, you end with 3 hours of Joey, Freddie and Tallis (and Gould and Vautin) babbling incoherently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • Socnorb
  • KateBroncos1812
  • NSW stables
  • Galah
  • GCBRONCO
  • Swordfish
  • Behold
  • Battler
  • Lurker
  • thenry
  • Fozz
  • Maddy
  • Spoon
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.