Chris Walker says what we're all thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to explain that Melbourne's massive breach of salary cap is not a big deal, tells me he has no idea. Like AP.

Except for 2006 right? What a stupid thing to say BTW. Nobody here thinks Melb players played better because they got more money.

We think Melb kept the players they wanted because they spent more than they were allowed under the rules while other sides struggled to keep theirs while keeping to the rules.

2006 ?.....What I am trying to point out is most on this forum are mixed up about their feelings or simply do not realize what is making them angry. They are angry because melbourne and Bellamy are better than everyone else. That is not something they will admit but nevertheless is the reason for the venom. The salary cap rorts the wrestling tactics the Melbourne Martyr Syndrome are all just cover stories, smokescreens if you will designed to hide the true reasons for the hatred. Jealousy is rampant....although ap is most often misguided he/she is not always wrong. Melbourne will always be regarded as the champs

Mate don't go all Dr Phil on us, we hate the storm cos they trashed webbys car

Lol, Melbourne were better than everyone because they cheated.

It's that simple.

2006 ?.....What I am trying to point out is most on this forum are mixed up about their feelings or simply do not realize what is making them angry. They are angry because melbourne and Bellamy are better than everyone else. That is not something they will admit but nevertheless is the reason for the venom. The salary cap rorts the wrestling tactics the Melbourne Martyr Syndrome are all just cover stories, smokescreens if you will designed to hide the true reasons for the hatred. Jealousy is rampant....although ap is most often misguided he/she is not always wrong. Melbourne will always be regarded as the champs

How are they better than everyone else? They haven't won every year, or maybe you think they have.

I love to watch Melb play, but I can also step back and see that they deliberately, systematically rorted the system to keep their roster together.
I can also see that the wrestling tactics that Bellamy perfected are within the rules but they have been IMO bad for the game.

You on the other hand cannot see the forest because the trees are in the way.

I love to watch Melb play, but I can also step back and see that they deliberately, systematically rorted the system to keep their roster together.

I love how you say that as if the players and coach all knew about it and it was them who cheated. They didn't.

I love how you say that as if the players and coach all knew about it and it was them who cheated. They didn't.

As if they didn't know. You're kidding yourself if you think they didn't.

So the players didn't notice the extra money in their accounts or Inglis didn't question the time he found a boat in his shed.

All the players involved signed the 2nd contract, except Slater.

So signing a 2nd contract, didn't ring alarm bells.

Some football players are dumb, but not that dumb.

If it wasn't suspicious, why didn't Slater sign it.

Last edited:
So the players didn't notice the extra money in their accounts or Inglis didn't question the time he found a boat in his shed.

All the players involved signed the 2nd contract, except Slater.
Players are allowed free cars/boats/whatever for third party deals that don't count towards the salary cap provided that they don't use the team name or jersey to promote the product. You know that, right? Ingles had every right to believe the boat was his legally, and it very well might have been - I don't remember if it actually came out if it was illegally given or not. Anyone?

So what about the second contract? You say it like there are only 2 things a player signs lol. They would have a whole bunch of things to sign, not just one contract. Every third party deal would have at LEAST one contract to sign. And guess who tells the player where and what to sign? Their managers! That's why they hire them! Their manager would've said "sign here here here here and here", and they did. Guess who got in trouble for the whole ordeal? The player managers, not the players. 3 of them got banned from the NRL just the other day for their roles in the scandal, and another got a warning or something. 2 of them are managers who had both Darren Lockyer and Wayne Bennett on their books btw.

The players were probably told they're getting 400k a year salary with another 300k in third party endorsements per year. Why would they have reason to question that when their managers have told them its all good? They hire these people to make sure they get the best deal.

If it was all legit, why the 2nd contract.

And why wasn't it sent to the NRL.

umm, because they were dodgy.

If it was all legit, why the 2nd contract.

And why wasn't it sent to the NRL.

umm, because they were dodgy.
Lol

So the players knew that the contract wasn't sent to the NRL? Did you want Cameron smith to take his contract down to the post office and mail it in himself?

If you even read my post you wouldn't have made that pointless post.

You do know, players are notified their contracts have been received by the NRL.

Also

In 2006, the NRL also introduced an allowance for players who enter into Third Party Agreements with club sponsors.

In 2011, the top 25 players are allowed to earn up to a maximum $300,000 from sponsorship leveraging but the total payments under these sponsorship leveraging agreements must not exceed $300,000 per club.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

This was after the Storm were cheating the cap, but before they were caught.

This argument is futile. No one can possibly say that the players definitely did or did not know.

You do know, players are notified their contracts have been received by the NRL.

Also

In 2006, the NRL also introduced an allowance for players who enter into Third Party Agreements with club sponsors.

In 2011, the top 25 players are allowed to earn up to a maximum $300,000 from sponsorship leveraging but the total payments under these sponsorship leveraging agreements must not exceed $300,000 per club.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

This was after the Storm were cheating the cap, but before they were caught.
and they would have been notified, because their contracts were received by the NRL lol

that third party agreement that you mention is different to the one im talking about, because its set up with the club. the deal im talking about is ones that are NOT with club sponsors - they are individual player deals. ie. darren lockyer goes on an ad for a golf club, not wearing a broncos jersey and not mentioning the brisbane broncos. he can get $25 billion dollars for it, while still being signed for say $300k with his NRL contract, and that $25 billion does NOT count towards the salary cap. for all inglis etc probably knew, thats what the deal with the boat and the gift voucher for harvey norman etc were for. the deal has nothing to do with the player remaining at the club, so it doesnt count towards any salary cap.

This argument is futile. No one can possibly say that the players definitely did or did not know.
while this is true, its only as true as someone can be found "not guilty" by a court of law - as thats essentially what has been found of the melbourne players. they were found to have no knowledge of the rorting whatsoever, same with bellamy.

NRL chief executive David Gallop has confirmed both the legal and illegal agreements at the centre of the Melbourne salary cap scandal were signed within days of each other, raising concerns about the extent of the players' knowledge of the scam.

But the mere fact that their official contracts - the one lodged with the NRL - and the illegal agreements were signed within a short time of each other has raised suspicions.

''Our primary focus is on false declarations made by the club, and the concealment of payments by the club - however, there's no doubt that individuals who may have signed two documents with vastly varying amounts in the space of days will come under scrutiny as the audit process continues,''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...stions-on-player-knowledge-20100425-tlrf.html

NRL chief executive David Gallop has confirmed both the legal and illegal agreements at the centre of the Melbourne salary cap scandal were signed within days of each other, raising concerns about the extent of the players' knowledge of the scam.

But the mere fact that their official contracts - the one lodged with the NRL - and the illegal agreements were signed within a short time of each other has raised suspicions.

''Our primary focus is on false declarations made by the club, and the concealment of payments by the club - however, there's no doubt that individuals who may have signed two documents with vastly varying amounts in the space of days will come under scrutiny as the audit process continues,''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...stions-on-player-knowledge-20100425-tlrf.html

Oh thanks for that article from 2010. Why didn't you post any of the articles from may 2011 after the full report and investigation had been finished that cleared all of the players of any wrong doing?

It's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • arieals
  • Jedhead
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.