Melbourne Are Just Awesome

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
**** Melbourne, one of their 3 is due for a season ending injury soon enough and then their chances will be blown. We've had our premiership chances blown multiple times by a key player being injured. Melbourne is the only side to never have an injury in a key match in the last 7 years.

Season ending? I'd rather Slater has a career ending injury.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I'm still hopeful the storm will suffer an injury crisis this season, particularly amongst the big 3. Hopefully late in the season, just before the finals, like Canberra 1993 when Ricky Stuart broke his leg and that killed their chances

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
**** Melbourne, one of their 3 is due for a season ending injury soon enough and then their chances will be blown. We've had our premiership chances blown multiple times by a key player being injured. Melbourne is the only side to never have an injury in a key match in the last 7 years.

This.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
On the one hand, it's not the Storm's fault they invested millions into the three best players in the game who are all at their prime and have never really had any serious run with injuries. That's just smart recruitment, retention and developing.
the broncos had the chance to sign all 3 before melbourne did IIRC. bennett and co didnt want any of them for one reason or another.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
the broncos had the chance to sign all 3 before melbourne did IIRC. bennett and co didnt want any of them for one reason or another.

Yep, just like they had a shot at Ben Barba and JT but got pipped by the Bulldogs.

The notion that the Broncos have a monopoly on picking junior talent coming through Queensland is a total myth and has been since post-Super League.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
well theyve openly talked about not signing slater and smith in the past, so that wasnt a myth.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
I can understand why Slater was passed up on, not worried about that one.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Re: What's Happened? Why the massive turnaround?

I didn't see anything from either of these teams tonight to make me think we aren't capable of beating both.

Versus the Broncos the Storm did a Black Caviar at Royal Ascot.

You put the Broncos versus the Storm in a preliminary final tomorrow, we'd be lucky to get within 12 points of them.

Our best chance of a premiership is to meet the Storm in a GF, fluke a couple of early tries and hold on for dear life and a Storm mental breakdown (ala 2006 GF, ala 2008 preliminary final (**** you A.Sims)).

Any other team, we are as competitive on our day.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I can understand the frustration.

On the one hand, it's not the Storm's fault they invested millions into the three best players in the game who are all at their prime and have never really had any serious run with injuries. That's just smart recruitment, retention and developing.

On the other, that development process wasn't exactly legal now was it? It's easy for a player to gain confidence and learn their trade in first grade when they're surrounded by a side that has a monetary advantage over others.

It comes down to how much or how little you care about that. Obviously, the majority of fans, particularly those who support a club like ours, will hold it against them. Others simply won't. Either way is a fair stance.

However, as a Broncos fan I feel it's my duty to hate those Melbourne players and say it in a terribly unconvincing manner.

The salary cap breach is so fucking irrelevant to this topic. Done the crime, paid the fine (heavily), it's over. Move on.

Counting down until the Bennett vs Bellamy vs salary cap debate. The Godwins law of BHQ.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
well theyve openly talked about not signing slater and smith in the past, so that wasnt a myth.

Not saying those particular cases were myths. I'm saying that the Broncos had the pick of junior talent is a myth. They might've passed on those guys, but there's others which have been signed where the Broncos may or may not have wanted them.

The notion that the Broncos get first choice of every junior in QLD is rubbish.

Last edited:
Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

Versus the Broncos the Storm did a Black Caviar at Royal Ascot.

You put the Broncos versus the Storm in a preliminary final tomorrow, we'd be lucky to get within 12 points of them.

Our best chance of a premiership is to meet the Storm in a GF, fluke a couple of early tries and hold on for dear life and a Storm mental breakdown (ala 2006 GF, ala 2008 preliminary final (**** you A.Sims)).

Any other team, we are as competitive on our day.

good to see at least one other person is keeping it real ...

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

They are an awesome team. They have 3 of the best players in the game in the most important positions in the game. They have no real weakness. Their backs are big and fast and their forward pack is hard working and runs good lines off their star playmakers. They have one of the best coaches in the game who loves to bend rules and has no integrity at all. They should win the Premiership most years.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Counting down until the Bennett vs Bellamy vs salary cap debate. The Godwins law of BHQ.
This is not going to happen. Sick and tired of the same argument...
All hell will rain down on this thread and the perpetrators if it does!

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
One of Melbs strengths, being their shut down umbrella defence has yet to be tested by any side and turned into a weakness. They have an absolute commitment to their defensive pattern but they leave a lot of room in behind it.

If another team was doing the same to the Storm Bellamy would be testing that space and trying to create some doubt. I'm amazed that no coach has gone after them and targeted this area. It's only a matter of time before it happens you would think but I reckon they are beatable with the right plan like playing your winger a lot deeper so you can catch pass without looking or chipping especially early in the game. 1 result early would create that doubt.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Why are people wishing season/career ending injuries on their players?

Wouldn't it be more satisfying to beat them at their best and avoid a 'claytons/bradbury premiership' tag?

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
because storm have never experienced injuries to key players before. they lead a charmed life.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Yep, but I'd prefer it to happen after Origin though. But they'll never get injured, they have a deal with the devil.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
because storm have never experienced injuries to key players before. they lead a charmed life.

I WANT SOMETHING ELSE, TO GET ME THROUGH THIS!

Couldn't help myself.

It's amazing how none of their key players have ever suffered a freak injury of some sort. I mean, a good fitness/conditioning team can help prevent certain injuries, but there's plenty of players out there that have been struck down by entirely unpreventable injuries... yet Melbourne haven't had that misfortune yet.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Manlyman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.