Melbourne Are Just Awesome

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Annonymous Person said:
btw in 2006 the storm werent a gigantic amount over the salary cap - about $300k from reports. hardly enough to magnify the broncos beating them. lets not forget the circumstances in which the broncos won either, referee help and all.

Mr. Fantastic would be proud of that stretch.

Regardless, the way I interpreted what Beads was saying was that the likes of Slater, GI, Folau, Smith etc. were all natural talents who really don't require that much coaching to be great. Cronk on the other hand isn't a naturally talented half but became great because he stuck to Bellamy's structures. Hence, Bellamy deserves credit there.

Similar points can be made of Bennett although I would give him credit for Webcke and Civoniceiva.

Last edited:
OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Cronk on the other hand isn't a naturally talented half but became great because he stuck to Bellamy's structures. Hence, Bellamy deserves credit there.

I agree, but I often wonder when I watch Cronk play just how good he'd be in another team, without his 2 sidekicks and without as much structure. Some players I think you could put in any team and I think they could adapt, but I get the feeling with Cronk that without that structure, he would be nearly as good. In the main, he doesn't strike me as the exciting sort of player that can create something out of nothing by playing what's in front of him (say like a Langer or Thurston), more often than not relying on just wearing an opposition down by playing to a game plan that he's practiced to death.

I still think he's a fantastic player in his own way though, and that's more of an observation than a criticism. Every team needs someone like Cronk.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Mr. Fantastic would be proud of that stretch.

Regardless, the way I interpreted what Beads was saying was that the likes of Slater, GI, Folau, Smith etc. were all natural talents who really don't require that much coaching to be great. Cronk on the other hand isn't a naturally talented half but became great because he stuck to Bellamy's structures. Hence, Bellamy deserves credit there.

Similar points can be made of Bennett although I would give him credit for Webcke and Civoniceiva.

That is what I meant.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.