• other? (please specify)

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
RUGBY League Week magazine is about to make it official - it will induct an eighth member to the game's most elite club, The Immortals. The announcement will be made at the Men of League dinner in grand final week and a special panel is being put together to choose the man most worthy. This columnist is honoured to have been invited on to a judging panel, which will also include the game's two foremost commentators in Ray Warren and Ray Hadley. Those in line to be inducted include Mal Meninga, Norm Provan, Joey Johns and Ron Coote. Broncos great Darren Lockyer will not be considered because the rules of The Immortals say only players who have been retired for five years are eligible.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ht-games-reduced/story-e6freye0-1226321195301

Is it a coincidence that the year Joey Johns becomes eligible to be named an immortal they decide its time for a new immortal to be named.

no he's not, it says in the quoted article that he is in-line for induction

I don't know a lot about Coote or Provan as I never saw them play, so I can't really pick between them and Meninga. As long as it's not Johns then I'm cool with it.

I think it is way to early to induct Joey Johns, especially with some very derserving candidates.

Norm Provan won 10 GF's in a row with the Dragons

Meninga (premierships in 89, 90, 94); 46 matches for Australia (capt. 23 times)32 matches for QLD (capt. 92-94) coached QLD for a record of 6 series wins and 0 loses

NOT Johns, he should never become an immortal, because it's not just about what you do on the field, but also off it!

When is Lockyer eligible?

Lockyer will be eligible in 5 years (you have to be retired for 5 years to become eligible)

I don't agree with it but Johns will definitely be named the next immortal. No doubt

Which one of Johns will they make the next Immortal?

If Joey is named the next immortal then the immortals will lose some credibility

I think Meninga should be named the next Immortal, if Ron Coote or Norm Provan were going to be named it would have happened many years ago.

Johns should not be an immortal.

I reckon they'll name 2 and it may well be Meninga and E-brain.

The thing that concerns me the most is the type of people being selected on the judging panel. Phil Rothfield?? May as well choose Danny Weidler. Hadley and Warren are the other two mentioned.

It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the right decision will be reached.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for everyone in the meeting listening to Hadleys dribble and drawl. His commentary is boring as ****.

Wow Phil Rothfield is on the panel... That's a disgrace.

The Original Immortals were chosen by a couple of Rugby League Week Journos

Yes, but Ian Heads for one was widely respected by the rugby league community. Warren is the only one of the 3 judges of the immortals that comes even close to the same level of respect, and even then Warren is just a commentator of games, hardly someone who's shown great insight into the game, its players or its traditions.

:haha: at Ray Warren picking the next immortal.

He is flat our remembering the current players names when calling the games.

So I am expecting him to nominate Paul Carige.

Johns will be the next immoral.

Active Now

• mieko
  • Lurker
  • Lozza
  • marw
  • Shane Tronc
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.