13/14 Football Thread

Belgium are actually 5th favourites now, so not sure they are underdogs as such. This time last year they were 3 figure odds to win it!

1. Germany. Their team will be chock full of talent. Look at these names FFS - Reus, Gotze, Kroos, Muller, Hummels, Neuer, Draxler, Schurrle, Ozil, Schweinsteiger, Lahm... and so on. Unbelievably talented team, and you always know the Germans will work hard - they're not a team of diving fannies like Italy for instance.

2. Argentina. If they can click, they'll be an extremely dangerous team. As you mentioned penny, the amount of depth in their attacking ranks is insane. You can't write off any team with the following in their squad - Messi, Aguero, Pastore, Higuain, Lavezzi, Di Maria.

3. Spain. Quality all over the park, play good football and they're the current holders of the World Cup. Can't not pick them in my top four!

4. Belgium. I genuinely think they'll be a threat. They have an excellent all-round squad, and aren't particularly weak in any areas. Excited to see how they'll do.

Spwn, why are you supporting Brazil when Australia will most likely be there?

Hoping Poland qualify so I can support two teams - LEGIT, not like spwn, the wannabe Brazilian shitty PS fanboy. :tongue_smilie:

Just wanted to add that I FUCKING LOVE THE WORLD CUP! :rockon:

Spwn, why are you supporting Brazil when Australia will most likely be there?

Hoping Poland qualify so I can support two teams - LEGIT, not like spwn, the wannabe Brazilian ****ty PS fanboy. :tongue_smilie:
Because Australia won't win :finger: For as long as they're in the world cup I'll support them but once they're out it's all the way to Brazil. The Hulk will destroy everyone.

Spwn, how many Brazilian players would you know if you didn't play Fifa? :tongue_smilie:

Hoping for more from Portugal in our "sister country",

Porthoz! I know this is off topic, but this reminded me, I wanted to ask you about the Portuguese language.

I've been watching the Brazillian version of the Ultimate Fighter and theirs a guy called Cezar Mutante. Now coming across that name I would have thought it would be pronounced "moo-tahn-tay" but they actually pronounce it "moo-tahntch" same with some guy called Andrade, I would have thought it would be "An-drah-day" but they say it "An-drahdge". Is that that just a portuguese language thing or is it just a Brazillian thing?

Being a football fan in Australia, you have to have a 2nd team. It was usually because back in the day, we never made the world cup, so you would always have the team you would go for in the world cup and you would follow them as passionately as your fave club side. Mine is Italy and I don't mind Argentina. So theres nothing wrong with Broncospwn supporting Brazil, just as long as he cheers on the Socceroos more!!!!

I know that penny... I was just having a dig at spwn because he straight up said he was supporting Brazil, without even mentioning 'because Australia will probably suck' or something along those lines!

I know that penny... I was just having a dig at spwn because he straight up said he was supporting Brazil, without even mentioning 'because Australia will probably suck' or something along those lines!
So what? I've always had a second team because Australia doesn't always make the cup to begin with and it's pretty boring watching a world cup without having a team to support. I've always been a Brazil fan, back when Dida was the bees knees of goalkeeping.

To answer your questions I was a Brazil fan long before I ever touched a Fifa game. I've watched almost every world cup game I could for as long as I can remember, I have as much interest in it as I do Rugby League. I watch a lot of soccer in my spare time.

I question why you care that I support Brazil as a second team? You think me playing FIFA somehow makes me like players best on their virtual game ability? :huh: I don't mention Australia because they're not relevant in the world cup scene but when they do make it I naturally support them first.

FWIW, Soccer got me into Fifa, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Porthoz! I know this is off topic, but this reminded me, I wanted to ask you about the Portuguese language.

I've been watching the Brazillian version of the Ultimate Fighter and theirs a guy called Cezar Mutante. Now coming across that name I would have thought it would be pronounced "moo-tahn-tay" but they actually pronounce it "moo-tahntch" same with some guy called Andrade, I would have thought it would be "An-drah-day" but they say it "An-drahdge". Is that that just a portuguese language thing or is it just a Brazillian thing?
Yeah Penny, Brazilians do have a different intonation from European Portuguese.
To cite your last example, it wouldn't be "An-drah-day", but "An-drah-duh" in Portuguese, while the Brazilians do pronounce it with that ending in dge instead. Same thing to the Mutante, it would end in tuh in Portuguese, and tch in Brazilians Portuguese.
Then you have the different Portuguese language intonations in the African colonies, etc...

A bit the same as the differences in the spoken English between countries all over the world.

ahh very interesting, thanks mate.

So what? I've always had a second team because Australia doesn't always make the cup to begin with and it's pretty boring watching a world cup without having a team to support. I've always been a Brazil fan, back when Dida was the bees knees of goalkeeping.

To answer your questions I was a Brazil fan long before I ever touched a Fifa game. I've watched almost every world cup game I could for as long as I can remember, I have as much interest in it as I do Rugby League. I watch a lot of soccer in my spare time.

I question why you care that I support Brazil as a second team? You think me playing FIFA somehow makes me like players best on their virtual game ability? :huh: I don't mention Australia because they're not relevant in the world cup scene but when they do make it I naturally support them first.

FWIW, Soccer got me into Fifa, not the other way around.

FFS, last time I have a friendly dig at someone. You have completely misinterpreted my post.

I'm out.

I back Australia and England by default. Which kinda sucks but shit happens, somebody has to. Just like somebody has to support Sunderland :(

FFS, last time I have a friendly dig at someone. You have completely misinterpreted my post.

I'm out.
Well that's the internet for you, text doesn't have emotion so it's easy to misinterpret. If you think I was annoyed or something you also misinterpreted my post, I was simply replying to your post.

Speaking of the Brazil World Cup, has anyone else seen the image going around urging people not to travel to it? It speaks about the lack of care the Government has shown towards Brazils infrastructure and instead focusing all money and effort on making things look good for the WC.

Speaking of the Brazil World Cup, has anyone else seen the image going around urging people not to travel to it? It speaks about the lack of care the Government has shown towards Brazils infrastructure and instead focusing all money and effort on making things look good for the WC.
Yeah I've seen a few news articles on that, reminds me of the Commonwealth Games in India.

Well that's the internet for you, text doesn't have emotion so it's easy to misinterpret. If you think I was annoyed or something you also misinterpreted my post, I was simply replying to your post.

****'s sake, somewhere get an Egyptia translator in here so Ning and Spwn can communicate properly.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Donald Garner
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • HVbronco
  • KateBroncos1812
  • cento
  • MrRobot
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mr Fourex
  • Dash
  • broncoscope
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • achievedrap
  • broncs30
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 57 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.