13/14 Football Thread

Re: 12/13 Football Thread

I love SBS, best channel. Les Murray and Craig Foster are almost always spot on with their views on the game as well.

Yah, it's great news for the game. Fox Sports have been doing a fantastic job, but there's no doubt SBS will provide just as good, if not better coverage.

SBS puts Channel Nine and all those other ****ty FTA channel to shame. :rockon:

Too right mate. SBS became redundant for a while once the use of the internet became widespread. There was no longer a need for toey teenage boys to watch shitty foreign movies for a glimpse of some boobage, and they stopped the EPL roundup a long time ago. They're back in the game now though!

I love SBS, best channel. Les Murray and Craig Foster are almost always spot on with their views on the game as well.

Les Murray is awesome. Craig Foster though... I think I've been through this before but I think he's a biased little tosser who lets his own agendas get in the way of good commentary.

Benfica lost the Portuguese cup final as well. I feel sorry for them...

Bahahahaha, just kidding. Couldn't be happening to bigger *****! :loool:

Nice UCL final. Bayern are definitely the best team in the world atm and deserve the victory.

They deal with all those third-party investment organisations that own the rights to a certain percentage of a player though, so those transfer fees probably aren't entirely accurate.

That said, they still would've earned a sizeable chunk from all the selling of players. It is a bit easier to buy South American players when you're based in Portugal too - not that they haven't made money off players from other continents!

If only they sold Hulk to the Brisbane Roar :tongue_smilie:I would get a membership just to watch him :laugh:

Lol, Hulk in the A-League. It would be carnage!

I can dream! One day he will come :001_wub:

They deal with all those third-party investment organisations that own the rights to a certain percentage of a player though, so those transfer fees probably aren't entirely accurate.

That said, they still would've earned a sizeable chunk from all the selling of players. It is a bit easier to buy South American players when you're based in Portugal too - not that they haven't made money off players from other continents!
In general those investment organisations don't account for more than 10% at the time of the sell.
Porto generally uses those investment funds to buy players, who often will pay for 50% of the player. Generally Porto ends up buying those percentages back as soon as a player looks to "stick" to certain standards for an extra fee, but still earn most of the final transfer fee.
Another 2 years of this and the stadium will be paid for, our debts are reducing and hopefully we will be even more competitive.

It's a myth that those players are easier to buy when you're in Portugal. More often than not, Porto has to compete with offers from Italian and Spanish clubs, who have a treasure chest incomparably richer than Porto. But they have a reputation for making stars, and selling them at a high price, which makes it an attractive club to make the crossover.

By far the most impressive part, is their scouting network. Deco and Hulk who are 2 of the biggest stars who have recently played for the club were discovered respectively in the Portuguese 2nd division and Japanese 2nd division! Pepe came from Maritimo of Portugal, Ricardo Carvalho was raised through the ranks, Paulo Ferreira came from Leiria in Portugal, etc...

Porto has already acquired the rights of 6 players since the end of the Portuguese comp, all young promises, 4 of them Portuguese. and at a total cost of less than 1M euros!
I will bet my right testicle that at least one of them will rise to the top and end up at some very rich club after Porto wins something important again...

Agreed, Porto's scouting network is top notch!

Whilst we're loosely on the subject on it, the sooner we get rid of these third-party ownerships, the better IMO.

I know they'll probably always exist in South America, as people look to profit from the next superstar, but once you're in Europe and competing in a UEFA comp or whatever, third-party ownership shouldn't be permitted in my opinion. Club's should own their players outright.

Agreed, Porto's scouting network is top notch!

Whilst we're loosely on the subject on it, the sooner we get rid of these third-party ownerships, the better IMO.

I know they'll probably always exist in South America, as people look to profit from the next superstar, but once you're in Europe and competing in a UEFA comp or whatever, third-party ownership shouldn't be permitted in my opinion. Club's should own their players outright.
Why? That's the only way clubs from poorer countries can "compete" with the Premier League, Spanish and Oligarchs...

It's shady as ****.

What's shady about it? It's not like there's a salary cap to abide by...

A salary cap is what football needs IMO

Yeah, but of equal amount across Europe, and that's pretty much impossible...

I don't think a salary cap would really work in football, but they do need to do something about all the money being thrown about.

How about they start enforcing that FFP shit? They're all talk, saying FFP will be enforced strongly and all this bullshit, yet look at the likes of Monaco... completely contradicts the supposed FFP rules.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • LGH
  • Cavalo
  • Strop
  • Yem
  • broncs30
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • Gray
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Redux
  • Volvo Driver
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Rookie Alan
  • DMZ
... and 54 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.