2014 Broncos Season

Poor fella, would have been under the pump. It might be a sign that Corvo is pushing the team hard for their fitness.

They could make him backup tomorrow. 41 degrees will do wonders for today's sunstroke

2014, the year of the horse. Though it's been commented previously that no previous team has won the premiership in their year.

Well we did win a reserve grade premiership and made the finals for the first time first grade in 1990 and that was year of the horse, other then that, no.

New age hocus pocus.....pfttt !

They got a quick quote from Jack Reed - 'I thought he got hit by a sniper' - so obviously it's nothing too serious.

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

IT IS the Broncos' first training session of the year, the temperature has reached 32 degrees, the players have been running for 90 minutes and Ben Barba just threw up.

Welcome to the brutal Broncos regime designed by new chief conditioner Alex Corvo.
The key tenant is more running and longer sessions.
A major departure from the short and sharp workouts of past seasons.
The club is confident the contrast is one of several changes that will resurrect their failing fortunes and return the proud club to the top four.
Friday's two hour session at Purtell Park caused multiple players to dry reach or throw up water their body rejected.
New recruit Stewart Mills fainted from exhaustion and had to be helped from the field while rookie centre Jordan Drew injured his calf muscle and was carried off the ground.

Corvo has been recruited from the Melbourne Storm where he was responsible for transforming Greg Inglis from an 88kg rake to 104kg monster.
Corvo, who once coached Redcliffe Dolphins in the Queensland Cup, replaced long-term trainer Tony Guilfoyle who was let go following the Broncos disastrous 2013 when they finished 12th.
Last season the Broncos ranked second last for tries scored in the second half, ahead of only the lowly Parramatta Eels.
When trailing at half-time they managed to win just two of ten games.
Their fade-outs prompted ex-captain Gordon Tallis to tear the team's conditioning apart.

"For the first time ever, we look unfit," Tallis said on Fox Sports late last season.
"I think the Broncos are getting over-run in the last 20 minutes.
"That's never happened before. We were always match-hardened."
Enter Corvo, who was praised by coach Anthony Griffin yesterday as implementing a challenging change.
"It was really tough on the guys today," Griffin said.
"It was a real challenge for them to get through but most of them got through it well in the end.
"It was a similar session to what we were doing before Christmas but the conditions are what made it such a tough day.

"We trained extremely hard last year though but with Alex Corvo coming in it has been a different type of training.
"Alex and Steve Hooper have brought in a different type of program. It is a longer program than what we have done in the past metres wise and that has been a real challenge for the players.
"There's a strong work ethic and enthusiasm about how we are going about our business."
Griffin said Mills, recruited from Cronulla, was just struggling to adapt to Brisbane's humidity.
"Yeah, the poor bugger, he was just dehydrated and he fainted but we got some Powerade through to him and he's fine."
Centre Jack Reed said described yesterday morning's workout was one of the toughest sessions he had experienced.

"It was a real eye opener that's for sure. That's the start of what we should expect all the time," he said.
"He's intense and knows how to get teams ready for finals and it's a good change up."
The club's four World Cup players will return on the 13th while Ben Hannant (calf injury) and Jordan Kahu (personal reasons) missed Friday's session.

Vidot Impresses On First Day - Brisbane Broncos

DANIEL Vidot has ticked all the boxes on his first day as a Bronco.

Despite not doing any formal training since last year's World Cup, the 23-year-old recruit showed off strong fitness and an athletic physique at the club's first run of 2014 this morning.
In oppressive conditions, the former Dragon and Raider completed everything in a two-hour session that sapped the squad.
Vidot will bring depth and size to the Broncos' outside back position, where coach Anthony Griffin expects him to play.
The Broncos' coach said he couldn't have asked for any more from the Souths Acacia Ridge junior, who represented Samoa at the World Cup.
"Most of his career he has played outside backs and he had a really good year in his first season with Canberra a few years ago," said Griffin.
"I thought the back end of his year with St George he was really good playing centre and wing so that is probably our first priority.
"He is a big boy and has played some back row as well.
"But I was really impressed with the way he handled that today.
"He has come off nothing. He had till Christmas off from the World Cup with Samoa, so he has showed a lot of character to get through that today."

Griffin said the battle for halves spots was hotting up for the trials in February.
Incumbent number seven Ben Hunt looks assured of one berth, with the others to be decided on trial form.
The Broncos open their trial season with a full-scale trial against the Cowboys at Redcliffe's Dolphin Oval on February 8 - just five weeks away.
"The way Ben Hunt finished the year and he has been training, he has been giving himself every chance," said Griffin.
"Then Zach Strasser and Jordan Kahu - those types of guys.
"Zach has been training great and has had a great grounding in State League.
"Jordan Kahu is someone who is an elite talent and has been hampered a bit by injury, but got some footy under his belt last year."
Griffin also said Ben Barba was a consideration in the halves, and had been doing some training in the position.
The Broncos' first formal gathering of the season will take place in just over two weeks when the club hosts a members only fan day at Suncorp Stadium on January 18.

Defamatory comments.

Please don't make any accusations in this thread - light hearted or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to hear that we are putting in some hard work which will hopefully pay off in the back end of games. Too many times last year we looked unfit and unable to keep up with the other side.

I just hope Hala is participating in these sessions. He needs to improve his fitness. The kid has so much potential but is let down by his fitness.

I hope Thaiday hasn't eaten 1000 pies over Christmas and he comes back fit. He needs to be lighter and more involved. He was unreal in the WC final. Brought back memories of the 2010 Thaiday who was unstoppable.

"The way Ben Hunt finished the year and he has been training, he has been giving himself every chance," said Griffin.

Everyone knows Hunt will be our halfback, there's no need to dance around it media talk or not.

That aside I'm very happy Corvo is flogging these guys, get a good base level of fitness then once they get match fit we should be sweet.

I hope they work overtime on defence too. That was the most disappointing thing about last year, and it's just as important as attack...in fact in dramatically helps your attack, though indirectly.

QUEENSLAND Origin coach Mal Meninga is hopeful Jharal Yow Yeh will return to full flight this year believing the two years of injury exile can be the making of him as a player and person.
Ex-Test winger Yow Yeh resumed Broncos preseason training on Friday but is still unable to complete all drills, taking part in skills activities only and spending a lot of time on the rowing machine.
However, he is expected to be physically ready in time for round one although a stint for Norths in the Intrust Super Cup is likely to come before the NRL given his near two years out of the game.
Meninga has offered strong encouragement to the electric winger after reflecting upon his own troubled past with injuries.
Meninga suffered four broken forearms in the space of 18 months and although he shies from comparisons to Yow Yeh's situation he believes the 24-year-old can do as he did and return a better player.

"I think what Jharal has been though is a lot worse than what I had to put up with," Meninga told the Former Origin Greats website.
"He has had some serious complications along the way as well, and for him to keep battling away the way he has to get back to where he is at the moment is a tremendous testament to his character.
"That same character is what will carry him back into first grade with Brisbane, and when he does that, it will be a tremendous success story. It is a tribute to his personal fortitude."
After 10 operations since his horrific ankle fracture in March 2012 Yow Yeh played a handful of lower level games last year and there's hope he could see NRL action at some stage in 2014.
If Yow Yeh needed encouragement or inspiration for his fight back then the Queensland coach would be a handy first phone call.
Broken arms was supposed to end Meninga's career but he fought back to become a Test and Origin great winning three premierships for the Raiders.

"It is a battle against yourself," he said.
"It is a battle to get yourself out of bed every day to keep putting in the work to reach an ultimate goal that seems so far away.
"The ultimate goal is not to play Origin, or to play for Australia. The ultimate goal is to simply get back on the field to play footy again, and to get back to where you were.
"It is a very tough thing. It saps your confidence. It tests your fortitude, your discipline. You have to get the absolute best out of yourself and push yourself to the absolute limits of your mental fortitude just to get back to where you were.
"But if you can do all those things, if you can find all of those qualities within you to working hard and keep moving forward towards your goal, they are qualities that you will be able to carry with you as you carry on during your career.
"You will be a mentally stronger, better player, because you know how to get the best out of yourself, how to persevere and not let adversity bother you.

"Every setback that came my way, I just looked at it as a personal challenge.
"For me, it was all about winning the personal challenge. Everything else was irrelevant.
"What was driving me the most was the love of the game. All I wanted to do was just get back out there and play.
"I trained harder than I ever did in my whole life. It put me in great shape mentally and emotionally. Physically, I was in the best shape of my life, and things just flowed from there.
"There is no one else he needs to prove himself to. I know that he would have been through some battles, and he will probably go through a few more along the way.
"But I also know he has what it takes to make it back, and prove to himself he is still that player he was before."
As the former Test winger Yow Yeh prepares to resume Broncos preseason training next week, Meninga has offered strong encouragement after reflecting upon his own troubled past with injuries.

BRISBANE Broncos coach Anthony Griffin is sleeping soundly at night, confident his big-name recruit Martin Kennedy will be available all year.

It has been repeatedly reported that the giant prop will be issued an infraction notice by ASADA before the season begins.
Griffin however said the Broncos' internal investigations showed Kennedy had no case to answer.
Griffin praised Kennedy's work ethic this pre-season and said the club were unconcerned about the reports.
"We have gone through our own processes and there's been nothing from our end that we need to be concerned about at the moment," Griffin said.
"There were some claims around about Martin but to this point it is just business as usual for us, unless we hear anything else which I'm not expecting to.
"From this end he has trained very well and it is business as usual."
Kennedy has promised to vigorously defend any possible charges, maintaining that he had never possessed or attempted to procure banned substances.
Text messages between Kennedy and other figures central to the inquiry - including banned winger Sandor Earl - are believed to be key to ASADA's case against the former Rooster and Queensland State of Origin 18th man.
If the 122kg Queensland Emerging Origin member was suspended for any amount of time it would be a major blow to the Broncos front-row depth after they let fringe props Lama Tasi and Scott Anderson sign for Salforfd and Wakefield respectively.
The Broncos have signed NRL veteran Jon Green and recently invited two Central Capras props in French international Sebastien Martins and Perth product Arlin Paki to a pre-season trial.
Both Martins and Paki weigh over 120kg.
The Broncos also boast several promising young forwards in their ranks. In Friday morning's brutal first training session after the Christmas break, 18-year-old prop Jo Ofahengaue was among the fittest in the Broncos squad and was regularly out in front of players who weighed 10kg less than him.
While 19-year-old Francis Molo is rated as a potential star in the front-row.
Others to impress in the Broncos gruelling session on Friday, which caused winger Stewart Mills to faint, were hooker Andrew McCullough and fullback Ben Barba.
Barba is only one month back to full training following ankle surgery but was carving up in the Broncos simulated games, showing the blinding pace that made him a superstar.
Griffin also shot down the rumours that AFL star Karmichael Hunt was returning to the Broncos.
Hunt is contracted to the Gold Coast Suns until the end of this year.

Great to see Jharal is training with the first-grade team but he should only consider a return when he is able to complete all the drills but I think there is every chance of that happening before the trials.

There's a lot of positives in those two stories- better days on the horizon for JYY, apparent clean slate for Kennedy, young blokes like Jo O and Molo ripping it up, Barba back to his best and the huge second strong props having a dig. The future looks promising.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.