2014 Halves Pairing

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
If we also signed Smith, a lot of the pressure would be completely lifted. Smith is like a halfback and hooker all in one.

Definitely, Though Lazo wasn't at the back end of his career he did show the younger forwards at the Broncos how to dominate their opposition and was the positive influence the forwards needed. Perhaps Smith could play that sort of role for our playmaking, working with our younger playmakers to polish their general play skills, give them that sort of confidence to build on? Perhaps there is more merit for signing Smith then first thought.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I for one hope that both our halves (and Milford) dominate this season... we will be better off having 2 quality halves in first grade and a capable back up ... if players have no one in the reserves pushing for their spot, then it invites complacency.

Yeah....^^^THIS^^^

Can't believe some are waxing lyrical about being worried we'll have killer halves at the end of 2014. "O noes, what if they're too good"??.....FMD !!!!

A potential brain teaser in the future about what to do with an in form B.Hunt, Kahu, Strasser & Milford will be fantastic.

I'd be more worried about the reality of only having one of the four mentioned being actual NRL standard at the end of 2014.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Perhaps there is more merit for signing Smith then first thought.

Anyone not recognising the avalanche of "merit" in signing Smith has rocks in their head.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
IMO Cameron Smith still has 3 or 4 good years in him - even if he is 70% in 3 years time he will still be better than the rest at 100% - just look at Lockyer in his latter 2 or 3 years - slowed down a tad but still had the goods to guide us around the park and come up with the big plays when it counted.
It will be a sad day for the Storm Club when he leaves to head home but he will be doing it for himself and family and I for one will enjoy watching him guide us around the paddock in a controlled manner - something which we are sadly lacking for the last couple of years.
Give him 12 months here and we will have a winning GF team on our hands and wouldn't it be great if we could get Benny back to coach us for those 3 years again and also position Cameron so he can be moulded into the next coach with maybe Locky
It would be a great move me thinks

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Strasser didn't play a full season at 6 he played 12 games and fullback the year before for Colts.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Strasser didn't play a full season at 6 he played 12 games and fullback the year before for Colts.
Nowadays a Fullback plays a lot like a 5/8 in attack anyway, and besides, it still is a lot more than Kahu has done in the last couple of years when it comes to playmaking positions...

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he also played a bit of Halfback, when Capewell was injured... He took on the added responsibility of being the dominant playmaker, and from memory played quite well...

Either way, his support play really impressed me. I noticed he was always backing up his players when a break was made, and scored a few tries off the back of his support play.

I think that may be something we need, with Barba likely to make a few breaks from the offloads from Parker and Gillett. With Strasser looming up in support, we'll have a few more tries. Just a simple draw and pass...

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

I didn't think he played a full year.........be buggered if I could find where the stats were to back it up though.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
Ben Barber will get a run at 5/8 sooner or later. We don't really have an obvious halves pairing. Hunt does not inspire me with confidence. I think we should still be looking for a quality half and 5/8 up until half way through the season. Its no place for a rookie.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I get the feeling the only people they are going to use at 5/8 this year are either Kahu or Strasser.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Ben Barber will get a run at 5/8 sooner or later. We don't really have an obvious halves pairing. Hunt does not inspire me with confidence. I think we should still be looking for a quality half and 5/8 up until half way through the season. Its no place for a rookie.

I really cannot see barba playing at 6. Yes we halves options currently don't seem like stars, but moving barba out of his best position into one that he hasn't been fantastic at in first grade makes no sense. The other factor against moving barba is that having him at fullback will make he job of whatever halves pairing we have so much easier

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
barba is a playmaker from fullback, they won't move him. whats the most dangerous part of his game? kick returns and broken field play.

his skills ease the pressure on whoever wears the 6. it'll be kahu i reckon.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. ??
6. Milford
7. Hunt

9. Smith ??

Profit?? Fucking exciting to say the least.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
He has no choice but to play in the halves anyway does anyone seriously think Barba would be replaced at fullback?

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • mitch222
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.