2014 Halves Pairing

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
He has no choice but to play in the halves anyway does anyone seriously think Barba would be replaced at fullback?

Some "experts" would have you believe that Milford should come off the bench as an impact player.

What a waste!!!

Same experts reckon he won't be a decent half.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Some "experts" would have you believe that Milford should come off the bench as an impact player.

What a waste!!!

Same experts reckon he won't be a decent half.

Really that's ridiculous who said that?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
siffler.gif

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think there's anything wrong with being sceptical about Milford as a half. Since he hasn't shown much outside of a deadly running game yet, everything else is just assumptions.

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
in nrl perhaps but he is a great half. he as good a long and short kicking game, he got a 40/20 for the raiders on a blindside play great kick and awareness of the fullback who was already moving in field. He's only 19, vision at 5/8th will always be growing, as long as Ben hunt is doing his job he can find himself and take opportunities when he sees them. Raiders u20 he played in the halves, a little at fullback and centre plus halfback for u20 state of origin he is a playmaker.

what I loved from hunt last year was he counted numbers, Andrew johns said a good halfback is always counting numbers, so Ben hunt only has to be solid, put in good kicks, take the opportunity when it's there. We shall get more from our halves next year than the one that past where our main playmaker was a centre

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Hey guys, first time on here! Compared to Wallace I was really impressed with hunt in the back end of last year, he created more opportunities for the players around him then wallace and prince combined. From what I have seen from Zach Strasser I have been fairly impressed. I watched him play a game where Josh Hoffman was playing in the centres for the dolphins and they both played really well together. Hunt and Strasser is what I would like to see.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Hey guys, first time on here! Compared to Wallace I was really impressed with hunt in the back end of last year, he created more opportunities for the players around him then wallace and prince combined. From what I have seen from Zach Strasser I have been fairly impressed. I watched him play a game where Josh Hoffman was playing in the centres for the dolphins and they both played really well together. Hunt and Strasser is what I would like to see.

Welcome Mitch, good first post. I am with you I hope Hunt and Strasser go really well this year.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I really think Strasser should get the 5/8 spot, provided he performs in the trial games. He's a big, fast ball runner. Almost the opposite of Hunt. Ex-fullback so he obviously has some vision. I think Granville might get a run off the bench and they might give him a go at 6 too. Depending on how we decide to use McCullough this year.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Pretty sure someone posted a video before of Strasser and Cullen and it showed Cullen to be the better ball player?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Pretty sure someone posted a video before of Strasser and Cullen and it showed Cullen to be the better ball player?

They are both really good, which is why I think it's ridiculous when people say that we have no 5/8 depth. Melbourne Storm have Walker, Hampton and now Roberts and nobody is saying they have no depth and their coach has no idea. I guess there's a lot of half glass empty kinda people on here.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
They are both really good, which is why I think it's ridiculous when people say that we have no 5/8 depth. Melbourne Storm have Walker, Hampton and now Roberts and nobody is saying they have no depth and their coach has no idea. I guess there's a lot of half glass empty kinda people on here.

BINGO!!!

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Several differences.

Strasser is only new to 6, is having his first year at professional football and apart from youtube bugger all Broncos' fans have watched him. While Hampton has played NRL and been in the Storm' system since he came down from NQ, Walker is being rewarded for his good 2/3 of a season with Easts and won't play NRL and Roberts is in the same boat.

The Storm 6 also has the advantage of coming in and playing with Cronk beside him not Hunt and having a settled structure and system around him.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Several differences.

Strasser is only new to 6, is having his first year at professional football and apart from youtube bugger all Broncos' fans have watched him. While Hampton has played NRL and been in the Storm' system since he came down from NQ, Walker is being rewarded for his good 2/3 of a season with Easts and won't play NRL and Roberts is in the same boat.

The Storm 6 also has the advantage of coming in and playing with Cronk beside him not Hunt and having a settled structure and system around him.

We also have Cullen and Taylor who have done exactly what Hampton has done. And both have looked pretty good in under 20s. Most players are nobodies until they're thrown into first grade, to most fans anyway. Anyone remember Cronk before he played first grade?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
We also have Cullen and Taylor who have done exactly what Hampton has done. And both have looked pretty good in under 20s. Most players are nobodies until they're thrown into first grade, to most fans anyway. Anyone remember Cronk before he played first grade?

Taylor is injured and has played 8 Under 20's games and is a while off playing this year. Cullen has just started playing Qld Cup last year and wasn't first choice half till the end of the year.. Hampton has played NRL neither of those have and been in the NRL squad for two years.

Yes watched Cronk play for Norths all the time.

I'm not suggesting that Strasser, Cullen or Taylor can't have successful careers but I am explaining the reason why people have the perception that the Broncos are light on for a 6.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Anthony Griffin has a tough decision to make. Looking at the training squad they have 9 players that could potentially fill the five eighth roll!

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I asked Griffin who will be the 5/8 when I was at fan day. He only came up with 2 options, either Kahu or Strasser.

Time will tell as to whether he was lying or not.

Last edited:
Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
That is what I have heard from the media as well, I would have thought he was keeping an open mind. Perhaps he has already narrowed it down by now.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Alec
  • Morkel
  • Galah
  • MrMoore
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • Manofoneway
  • Mustafur
  • Old Mate
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.