2015 Halves

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
The thought of having a 2012 weight Barba & a 20 year old Milford is completely jizz worthy, I really hope Bennett makes Barba lose a few kegs, even if he does plan on staying at Five-Eighth, his speed has to be the primary concern, not adding slightly more bulk to make him less of a speed bump.

I agree, I prefer to see him scoring spectacular tries and letting in the occasional try, than not scoring, but saving a try each match.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The thought of having a 2012 weight Barba & a 20 year old Milford is completely jizz worthy, I really hope Bennett makes Barba lose a few kegs, even if he does plan on staying at Five-Eighth, his speed has to be the primary concern, not adding slightly more bulk to make him less of a speed bump.

Everyone has realized that Barba can't catch and that is the case no matter how slimy he is and they will target him. He will never be a fullback again. Barba will be 6, Milford will be 1 for sure. Barba has been defending well in the front line too which I think is a skill he will be able to keep if he loses weight.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I disagree that Barba can't catch at all. Its more a case of a player playing without any confidence. This lack of confidence in my opinion stems from the fact he is forced to play above his normal playing weight.

As a result of the added weight, it has taken away from him his speed, agility and evasiveness. Since Barba's game is built around those things, he has lost the self belief in his ability.

Things that used to work for him, such as beating his opponent with sheer speed and evasiveness, no longer do. The added weight has taken away from him all his primary weapons, without giving him much in return to substitute it with.

Confidence is a funny thing, something hopefully Barba regains, which will be when he is playing at a comfortable playing weight. A slimmer Barba means he will once again return to his devastating best...

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Even when Barba was at his best, he wasn't very good under the high ball. He just wasn't exposed as much. But from what I've seen, Milford isn't really any better.

He can get better under the high ball, though. He just needs to practice at it. Perhaps he should spend some time with some AFL coaches or players.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Even when Barba was at his best, he wasn't very good under the high ball. He just wasn't exposed as much. But from what I've seen, Milford isn't really any better.

He can get better under the high ball, though. He just needs to practice at it. Perhaps he should spend some time with some AFL coaches or players.

Probably had a better chance of learning from an AFL team in Canberra, the way the Lions have been lately..

dtmtrano

dtmtrano

BRL Player
Apr 25, 2014
We have so many options for our five eighth spot:
Milford
Barba
Paia'aua
Taylor
Kahu
Nikorima

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
IMO, unless we buy an establish 5/8 or someone with some NRL experience, I think our 5/8 for 2015 should either be Barba or Milford.

Taylor should spend a season or two in the ISC before coming into the role.

Neither of the Nikorima brothers are ready, and Kahu is not really a 5/8. I wanted him in there earlier because I wanted Hoffman gone, but I can't really see him doing any better.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I watched Barba closely last few games, and especially last week. For mine, he looks like he is still carrying some sort of after effects on an injury to his foot/ankle/leg as well as a few kilos.

He just doesn't look like he is fully stretching out and hitting his top speed. His chase on Fonua showed me something wan't right, and it wasn't kilos.

If he reaches peak fitness, I think he is an ideal 5/8, especially as he has only played less than half a season in that position in this team.

Last edited:
UKBronco1989

UKBronco1989

Sep 7, 2014
I'd say give Barba and Hunt a full pre-season's worth of training and see how they go then. I think Milford is an overall better fullback than Barba so I'd go with a starting VIII:

1.Milford
2.Hoffman/Boyd (depending on whether they leave/join respectively)
3.Hodges
4.Reed
5.Vidot
6.Barba
7.Hunt
8.Hannant (assuming he's still a Broncos player next year)
9.McCullough
10.Maguire
11.Gillett
12.Thaiday
13.Parker

I'm hoping Bennett doesn't bring Boyd with him (although given Boyd's history of following Bennett around like a lost dog I'm not too hopeful), but if he does then I'd put him on the wing rather than at fullback. Maybe give Taylor a run out in the World Club Series?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'd say give Barba and Hunt a full pre-season's worth of training and see how they go then. I think Milford is an overall better fullback than Barba so I'd go with a starting VIII:

1.Milford
2.Hoffman/Boyd (depending on whether they leave/join respectively)
3.Hodges
4.Reed
5.Vidot
6.Barba
7.Hunt
8.Hannant (assuming he's still a Broncos player next year)
9.McCullough
10.Maguire
11.Gillett
12.Thaiday
13.Parker

I'm hoping Bennett doesn't bring Boyd with him (although given Boyd's history of following Bennett around like a lost dog I'm not too hopeful), but if he does then I'd put him on the wing rather than at fullback. Maybe give Taylor a run out in the World Club Series?

no Copley?

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
The biggest problem with barba is that he put on 5kg in the off-season, even jack reed is quicker! Barba just needs time in the 6

Active Now

• Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • mystico
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wendall Taylor
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.