2016 Strongest Line-Up

Re: Looking Ahead to 2016

3. Reed < I am leaning towards Bennett throwing Reed a bone next year just for his defensive abilities, so I don't think Copley to centre will be on the

:laugh:

Does anyone know what position our cap is in next year? I know we upgraded a lot of players and that was part of the reason Hodgo retired and Sam took a pay cut so its probably pretty tight.

But are we done paying for Barba and Kennedy yet? Was Garbutt, Vidot,and Dodds on enough money that their exits free up anything worth while?

Are we in a position to make any big signings this off season? Or will we just have enough to top up current player contracts and make some depth signings?

Does anyone know what position our cap is in next year? I know we upgraded a lot of players and that was part of the reason Hodgo retired and Sam took a pay cut so its probably pretty tight.

But are we done paying for Barba and Kennedy yet? Was Garbutt, Vidot,and Dodds on enough money that their exits free up anything worth while?

Are we in a position to make any big signings this off season? Or will we just have enough to top up current player contracts and make some depth signings?

We still have to cover Barba's wage for one more year but I doubt we're still paying for Kennedy, especially considering he was stood down by the NRL.

front row is definitely one of the areas, and also the halves is the other. under milford and hunt there is absolutely nothing coming through and good cover is needed in case of injury to hunt or milford.

That's good to hear because right now the thought of an injury to hunt or Milford is horrofic

For me

1. Boyd
2. Kahu (he's ability defuse kicks is a waste in the centres)
3. Copley (give him a chance)
4. Reed
5. Oates (he's a monster and the perfect way to get our sets started)
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McG
9. McC
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Glenn
13. Parker

14. Gillett (ultimate impact player IMO)
15. Wallace (he was impressive last night I must say)
16. Ofahengaue (he had a couple runs for 15+ metres last night, he's the future)
17. Nikorima (impact player and back up for halves and fullback)

Hopefully there are some depth signings.
Hope to get - Nona or Walker for halves back up.

For once I agree with you, the lack of speed he shows in defence is absolutely the primary reason we leak so many tries down that side of the field. His attacking game was great this year though, he scored and set-up or contributed in a countless number of our tries this season, I'd have him in my starting 13 at this point purely for that aspect of his game, until someone else steps up (Or we sign someone better)

Yesterdays newspaper said Kennedy and Barba were taking up 700k

Apparently Hunt will be so mentally scarred from last night that he will never be the same player again.

So I will see you all in 2017.

Well I'm guessing Hurrell may not be out of the realms of possibility.

I am praying that we sign him. He has arguably more potential than any of our current centres/wingers and in my opinion has showed more attacking ability as well. He is an absolute beast. 110kg and quick. Under Bennett I think we would see a more consistent and improved Hurrell in regards to his defense especially.

front row is definitely one of the areas, and also the halves is the other. under milford and hunt there is absolutely nothing coming through and good cover is needed in case of injury to hunt or milford.

Kikorima?

Kikorima?

He's not really a natural half, he could probably fill in for Milf at Five-Eighth reasonably well, but there's no way we could roll with Nikorima and Milford, that'd be a disaster.

I think 2016 is our year. I said it before the GF, if we lose it, we'll probably win next year. It has happened very often in recent history, with Storm, Dragons, Manly, Souffs all winning the year after they hit the big time, or got close to it.

Of course injuries could kill our chances, but without them our team will have that extra hunger, more experience, and McGuire will hopefully last the season.

I think 2016 is our year. I said it before the GF, if we lose it, we'll probably win next year. It has happened very often in recent history, with Storm, Dragons, Manly, Souffs all winning the year after they hit the big time, or got close to it.

Of course injuries could kill our chances, but without them our team will have that extra hunger, more experience, and McGuire will hopefully last the season.
I feel as though if we had McGuire, we couldve played thaiday off the bench and that wouldve provided a whole new spark with 20 mins of the game to go

I don't think and I hope maranta isn't part of our strongest team. Just not enough strike power. He can be backup I guess but I'd rather develop Anderson as first back up

I don't think and I hope maranta isn't part of our strongest team. Just not enough strike power. He can be backup I guess but I'd rather develop Anderson as first back up
I was so hyped about Anderson but then I watched him yday.... Kinda overrated imo. But who knows

I was so hyped about Anderson but then I watched him yday.... Kinda overrated imo. But who knows

Looked ordinary yesterday, but has been outstanding throughout the season

anderson is a long way short of nrl standard. as for k hurrell, yes he can be a damaging ball runner but he also has a terribly loose carry and often forgets that tackling is a requirement of his workplace standards.

The reduced interchange should help us immensely next season. Clubs like the Cows, with big, 'conventional', props will suffer; the worst hit will be Souths (who are going to struggle big time without Luke) and the Dogs. Our mobile, fit, smaller props and forwards in general should thrive, although I suspect clubs will just abuse the concussion rule to give their big boys a spell. I think you'll see wingers like Oates become a necessity rather than a luxury if the rules work as intended.

Thaiday should return to the edge with McQuire's return, he's better out wide than either Glenn or Gillet, so one of those two will be playing for a spot in the starting side.

Last edited:

Active Now

• marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.