2017 Line-up

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
1.Boyd, 2.Mead, 3. Roberts, 4. Moga, 5.Kahu, 6.Milford, 7.Hunt, 8.Blair, 9.Macca, 10.Mcguire, 11.Thiday, 12.Gillett, 13.Pangai Jr, 14.Marshall,15.Oats 16.Glenn, 17. Eseese

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
1.Boyd, 2.Mead, 3. Roberts, 4. Moga, 5.Kahu, 6.Milford, 7.Hunt, 8.Blair, 9.Macca, 10.Mcguire, 11.Thiday, 12.Gillett, 13.Pangai Jr, 14.Marshall,15.Oats 16.Glenn, 17. Eseese

Moga won't be starting

Pangai jnr won't be starting.

And that bench you have named is wsy to light ... IMO

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Go easy, it's his 17 after all.

@Kyall, what do you think Moga and Pangai Jr offer the starting side?

And why have you gone for such a light bench?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I find it moderately interesting that Thaiday was named as the starting Lock for the Indigenous All-Stars today, maybe Wayne had a little whisper in Laurie's ear. It would make a lot of sense, Sam has the ball playing ability to play Lock and can definitely defend in the middle, the only issues would be A) Fitness & B) Involvement - A lot of the times that Sam started in the middle for us in previous years he would just have no impact on the offensive end because he was too tired from his defensive workload. I'd be happy to give him the benefit of the doubt after how well he's played for us over the last 18 months or so though.

1. Boyd (c)
2. Mead
3. Marshall
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Thaiday

14. Nikorima
15. Oates
16. Ese'ese
17. Pangai Jr

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Lol at Rothfield.

His predicted 2017 has the Sharks going back to back and us missing the finals

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Pangai Jr is a player I want on the field as much as possible. Moga has a lot of potential and if he has great off season sky can be the limit. As for our bench it light because we need to have Oates and Glenn in the team. So we move Thiday into prop when Oates or Glenn come on.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Pangai Jr is a player I want on the field as much as possible

Why?

Moga has a lot of potential and if he has great off season sky can be the limit.

What are you basing this potential on?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Pangai Jr is a player I want on the field as much as possible. Moga has a lot of potential and if he has great off season sky can be the limit. As for our bench it light because we need to have Oates and Glenn in the team. So we move Thiday into prop when Oates or Glenn come on.

IMO ... Pangai is a long way short of the fitness required to be a starting lock at this level. We need to continue his development as an impact player off the bench, coming on in short stints. As well as some time in the ISC, playing long minutes to help build his fitness.

The problem with Thaiday at prop is that we've tried that many times before and it has never worked out for us. He just isn't a very good prop. He needs to stay on the edges where he belongs.

On Moga, while he had potential at one point, even with a brilliant pre-season, he is a fair way down the backline pecking order IMO. hand depth for 2017. If he can manage an injury free 2017 and get back to playing some good footy in the ISC, he may be able to force his way into the lineup in 2018.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
not having a go here as I like a controversial opinion, but, outside of Moga's first season with the Roosters (where he did his knee iirc), what has he ever actually proven?

We'd be better off signing Copley on a 2nd tier seeing as he's going nowhere at the Roosters.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I find it moderately interesting that Thaiday was named as the starting Lock for the Indigenous All-Stars today, maybe Wayne had a little whisper in Laurie's ear. It would make a lot of sense, Sam has the ball playing ability to play Lock and can definitely defend in the middle, the only issues would be A) Fitness & B) Involvement - A lot of the times that Sam started in the middle for us in previous years he would just have no impact on the offensive end because he was too tired from his defensive workload. I'd be happy to give him the benefit of the doubt after how well he's played for us over the last 18 months or so though.

I think its more Laurie being Laurie than trying to appease Wayne Bennett. Bennett would have realised it was no coincidence that Thaiday was out best forward at the back end of the year due to him playing his natural position as a second rower. I don't think he will be in any rush to change him from there

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
not having a go here as I like a controversial opinion, but, outside of Moga's first season with the Roosters (where he did his knee iirc), what has he ever actually proven?

We'd be better off signing Copley on a 2nd tier seeing as he's going nowhere at the Roosters.

Titans are expected to make a huge play for Copley

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
To be fair 2015 Thaiday was starting front rower in the grand final side and it wouldn't be the first time Bennett used a second rower in the front row. Moving Costigan to prop in 2010 when they were wavering proved a good move and he kept that position all the way to their grand final. Not saying Thaiday best position is prop by any means but with Glenn, Gillett and Oates playing second row perhaps it's not the worst idea.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
We'd be better off with Blair and McGuire as prop than Thaiday. Blair has shown he is more than capable of stepping up and playing big minutes effectively in prop (remember how he played when McGuire went down in 2015?)

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
Not saying Thaiday should start but not against him being in the prop rotation if required to fit in our second row talent

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
You're right that at some stage we're going to need to start phasing in generation next, that includes Oates and co - maybe Thaiday will have to fill in at prop in order to stay in the side. Sam has a pretty good motor though, so with reduced interchanges and so on we might be able to eek a bit more value out of him.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Maroon4life
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  • Broncorob
  • Porthoz
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.