2017 Line-up

Unless the shirt is a tad too big

Unless he plays poorly, why would you (or anyone) even care?

Cameron Smith has been sporting a dad bod since he was 16, he's still better than 99% of the competition.

It was inevitable that Milford was going to bulk up a bit.

It's part of defending against forwards.

Am I the only one concerned that McGuire can only see through one eye, yet some want him as a ball-playing lock? Close one eye permanently and see how you go 'ball-playing'. Even when he had full vision he wasn't a ball-player's arsehole. A great battering ram, yes, though he still drops plenty of easy balls (which I put down to reduced vision). I'm with Porthoz on this, however I only have confidence in Blair in this role (which weakens the props, yes).
Have to agree with you on this one mate. I'd prefer Blair in the role. Can't say he's put his hand up for it though.
I'm sure Bennett will look at all the pro's and con's. Arrow's inexperience etc.

I think he'd be great . I recall him throwing some nice passes last year ( in backline sweep plays ) and remember him making a break and putting on the chest of his winger (@ full tilt). I can't remember gallen or taumalolo passing much and they are locks !

No disrespect meant, but...

7141dfec-17a6-47b7-9218-08d3410f1908-5560-00000834a78bdba3_tmp-jpg.996
Haha!!! None taken .

To be fair.. he's actually pretty good as a ball player. He's not just a battering ram

Blair wouldn't look out of place at lock, he can give a good offload at times and can play big minutes. Blair has had experience playing lock I would rather him than McGuire.

Look, maybe you're right, but all I can go on is my repeated frustrations with him (not) catching short balls. I've learnt to excuse him considering he has very little vision on one side of his body. I'm not sure that one can be called a ball player if the ball is unable to be caught consistently (compared to other top props). I agree that he did show a few silky moves last year but first you have to handle the basics of your position. I'm probably being harsh and recalling more of his deficiencies from previous years. IMHO, he's not yet a top class prop, much less a prop that should be encouraged to be more creative (using the 'lock is just another prop' argument that I completely disagree with).

Milford drops plenty of ball ! All he needs to do is make metres , make tackles and pop a offload or five . I think he has all the attributes to replace parker

Fantastic, that settles it. Milford to lock, Benji to 5/8th.

Perhaps that's why it looks like Milford has bulked up. He is moving to lock!

Ikin said he is predicting a gamble from Bennett, right?

Perhaps that's why it looks like Milford has bulked up. He is moving to lock!

Ikin said he is predicting a gamble from Bennett, right?

It's the only logical outcome where we can put an experienced ball player at lock and retain our prop rotation. Maximum win.

Only way to improve it would be Benji in the centres and Kotoni Staggs in the halves.

Look, maybe you're right, but all I can go on is my repeated frustrations with him (not) catching short balls. I've learnt to excuse him considering he has very little vision on one side of his body. I'm not sure that one can be called a ball player if the ball is unable to be caught consistently (compared to other top props). I agree that he did show a few silky moves last year but first you have to handle the basics of your position. I'm probably being harsh and recalling more of his deficiencies from previous years. IMHO, he's not yet a top class prop, much less a prop that should be encouraged to be more creative (using the 'lock is just another prop' argument that I completely disagree with).

McGuire has improved his handling a fair bit over the years.

In the period of 2011-2013, he made quite a few errors but over the past few years it's been improving and he is arguably our safest starting forward when it comes to handling.

In the past 3 seasons he has made a combined total of 16 errors. When you compare that to our other starting forwards, it's actually pretty good.

Just to give an example.

Corey Parker - 37
Matt Gillett - 40
Alex Glenn - 27
Sam Thaiday - 22
Adam Blair (2015-2016) - 11

McGuire and Blair have the safest hands of any of our forwards.

He did drop a few easy ones last year, but some of those were also bad passes. Passes that were forced and unexpected.

He has shown he can catch the short balls consistently.

If Bennett deems McGuire capable, then it won't be for his ball-playing ability.

I'm purely speculating here but if McGuire was selected it would come down to his ability to play long minutes and his mobility in the ruck. Not only could the move benefit McGuire's game, it could also help the Broncos settle on a stronger rotation with the option of playing an emerging talent like Ese'ese or Ofahengaue while keeping an experienced player fresh on the bench.

Make no mistake about it, McGuire is one of the most important players at the club and I would not be surprised to see him become a mainstay in the Origin starting pack. At age 28 Corey Parker found his groove as a lock forward and I would not be surprised if McGuire emulates his former captain.

I see 3 main options with 2 of them requiring Wayne to gamble on a young guy.

Option 1. A young guy at lock, most likely Arrow.

Option 2. A young guy at prop, either Ese'ese or Offa and Blair or Moose at lock.

Option 3. Moose or Blair at lock, Thaiday to prop and Glenn starting in the second row. If Bennett goes with this option then Dodds will be on the bench for his experience.

At this stage I think all 3 options are still open and it will depend on how the young guys go in the preseason and trials as to which way Bennett will go.

I see 3 main options with 2 of them requiring Wayne to gamble on a young guy.

Option 1. A young guy at lock, most likely Arrow.

Option 2. A young guy at prop, either Ese'ese or Offa and Blair or Moose at lock.

Option 3. Moose or Blair at lock, Thaiday to prop and Glenn starting in the second row. If Bennett goes with this option then Dodds will be on the bench for his experience.

At this stage I think all 3 options are still open and it will depend on how the young guys go in the preseason and trials as to which way Bennett will go.
Shame Dodds is out again :(

Active Now

• Dash
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • achievedrap
  • barker
  • mrslong
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.